Weather in the ship in the Baltics

Doin the Copehagen to Stockhom route with a stop in St. Pete. What will the weather be like on board--especially at night? I suspect it will be rather cold at sea. Trying to figure out how to dress (and maore importantly pack)--particularly in the evenings.

Thanks.

We were in the Baltic this June. We had cold, windy, and rainy days and nights the entire cruise with the exception of St Petersburg. We were hardly ever out on the open decks because of this. From other people returning this year, it sounds like this weather has been the rule rather than the exception. I think it's best to be prepared for anything.

Doin the Copehagen to Stockhom route with a stop in St. Pete. What will the weather be like on board--especially at night? I suspect it will be rather cold at sea. Trying to figure out how to dress (and maore importantly pack)--particularly in the evenings.

Thanks.

We just finished the Constellation's July 3-17 Baltic cruise. Our weather was much colder than we expected - so much so that we never wore our shorts and little of the short sleeve shirts. Some days I wore four layers in the morning, peeling off the top two in the afternoon when it warmed up. Most days started in the 50s to 60s, reaching into the 70s by afternoon. Also, it rained most days but never enough to be a real problem - mostly light rain that would come and go.

While at port, the ship, of course, experienced the same weather on deck. While at sea, the decks were very, very windy and thus cold as well as usually damp. Inside the ship, of course, all was comfortable, except for the main dining room which always ran warm.

I know this sounds like bad weather but we, meaning ourselves and everyone that we talked to, considered it to be mostly nice weather and we very much enjoyed ourselves in every port.

We just returned day before yesterday and had beautiful, warm weather every day except for a little bit of chilliness (light jackets for me, hubby still in short sleeves) the last two days. As far as evenings on the ship, we never had to go outside, so I wore sleeveless or anything I wanted to.

We were on the Dream May 12-24 in the baltics. Weather was right around 50 degrees most days and rainy three or four days. We took umbrellas and did not let it slow us down. It hailed real hard on us while in St. Petersburg. Our guide told us that St. Pete is on the samr Lattitude as Anchorage, Alaska!! He also said that they get above 50 degrees only about 60 or 70 days a year.

Chip

Guess you have to be prepared for anything!! We just returned and the weather was hot and sunny every day. I got the best tan I have ever had. Be sure to bring sunscreen. I brought jackets and sweaters and only needed them in Copenhagen in the evening. We were only in other ports during the daytime and I wish I had brought more tank tops and light weight pants.

Have a great time whatever weather you encounter.

Bobbie

I have been checking the weather reports in the paper and also on line for Moscow and St. Petersburg. The paper says it is in the high 70's and online the ten day forcast says 60's and lows in the 40's. So I really don't know how to pack. We will be in Moscow for 4 nights Aug 23 and then 2 days in St. Pete's the 29 & 30. Also, wondering about Stockholm and Coppenhagan. Will it be chilly? Are the museums hot and humid? I heard they do not have air cond. in the museums.:confused:

Thanks.

Alibee, this is exactly what I've been wondering.

I don't worry about what it will be like on the port days - I plan to layer as needed - or unlayer!

But the ship itself is my question. Will fall clothes be too warm on the ship? Especially the dining room. I have been on ships that are unpleasantly warm and stuffy in the d.r. How about formal nights? Velvet? Sleeveless? Jackets?

We'll be onboard from 26 August to 20 September. And traveling back across the north Atlantic.

We just got back on the Grand Princess last week and shorts and short sleeves were comfortable most of the time on the ship. Formal night was pretty warm for me in the dining room, but I don't do warm temps very well. Evenings could be a little cool up on deck, but many of the ares are sheltered and light long pants and short sleeves worked for me.

I agree with dlutz, although I was on the Jewel. The ship was usually very warm inside. Most of our days at sea turned out to be either foggy or windy or both and were pretty cool. That was not a problem unless you were counting on lying by the outdoor pool. The Solarium was quite warm. That was really my only packing mistake, and it wasn't really a problem. I had taken swimsuits and shorts for sea days, and it just didn't turn out that way. The shorts were quite comfortable, though, as long as I didn't stay out on the deck. There are plenty of other options on that ship.

Very true about the museums, even though the weather was in the high 60's and low 70's, which I consider to be perfect short-sleeve weather. The museums were hot!

I am on the one who started this thread and just returned from our cruise on August 8th. I wanted everyone to know that the weather was incredibly warm. I don't know whether it was an aberation but we had sun and weather in the 80's every day, but in Tallin where it was overcast and a sweater was necessary. The temperature was near 90 in Stockholm! I had packed many sweaters and jackets and never needed them. Be sure to bring a bathing suit for your day at sea!!The weather oi the boat was very comfortable in the evenings (I was on the Radisson Voyager) and people wore everything from sleeveless to a light sweater.

• 2 weeks later...

I can echo celem -- we just got back from the Baltics on the Jewel and, for the most part, had lovely weather. I packed for every condition and wore everything but my lightweight winter coat -- though I could have used it in Helsinki. We had sea days where it was totally comfortable by the pool and sea days where it was difficult to walk across the pool deck! Interior of the ship was always comfortable -- even in the dining room (where we have been cold in the past).

Ann

• 4 months later...

Did anyone see any dehumidifiers in the Museums as they have here in the U.S.? :confused:

I can't imagine that they would let the humidity get to all the wonderful antiquities. :eek:

It is probably Hot because of all the people packed in. :cool:

We are going 2 through12 September 2005.

Thank you.

Did anyone see any dehumidifiers in the Museums as they have here in the U.S.? :confused:

I can't imagine that they would let the humidity get to all the wonderful antiquities. :eek:

It is probably Hot because of all the people packed in. :cool:

We are going 2 through12 September 2005.

Thank you.

Many of the exhibits in the Hermitage have temperature and humidity controls but I am not aware of any others that do. For most museums, display items being too dry is more of a problem than being exposed to excess humidity. Museums and homes in many countries that use central heating by heat pumps or forced air systems have a problem with too little air moisture for healthy people or artifacts.

In most Russian cities, hot water is piped from central boiler stations to each apartment, business and public building. This hot water is used for space heating and hot bath and tap water. The central boiler plants only produce hot water in the required seasons, usually starting up in the fall around the beginning of October and shutting down in the spring. There is no hot water for many people, schools and public buildings in the summer. So, when you visit, the heaters will be off and the general humidity will be lower than summer. September is my favorite time in St Petersburg because the weather is usually good, the crowds have returned to their home cities in Russia(by far the most tourists are Russians from other areas in Russia and CIS) and the formal fall/winter cultural season starts. Summer is great but not as relaxing as in the fall. The summer is filled with fesitvals and events so it is too hectic and busy for much relaxation or simply slowing down.

Hot water for personal use is available in many if not most apartments by wall mounted gas demand-water heaters. There is no storage tank, when you open the hotwater tap, the change in pressure fires a gas heater that produces as hot of water as you could want within 2 seconds or so. These are an old technology but they work great. New apartments don't use them and many use supplimental electric water heaters with tiny storage tanks.

Stan

Hi stanj,

We have much appreciated all the information you have supplied on this board. We will be in St Petersburg May 14th this year. Is that considered spring there? What kind of temperature range can we expect and how much rain?

Hi stanj,

We have much appreciated all the information you have supplied on this board. We will be in St Petersburg May 14th this year. Is that considered spring there? What kind of temperature range can we expect and how much rain?

Hi John or is it Betty;>)

May is the beginning of the long days and it will be bright enough to read a newspaper at midnight but not as light at 2-4 weeks later at the peak of White Nights. The longer day mean warmer temperatures but don't assume it. It might rain on any day but if it does it is normally short and a warm spring rain. Lows during the day can be 40 but most days it is mid 60s up to 70F

This winter has been milder than usual with few days much befow freezing. Last year was also milder than average but was still around 18-22F at this time while the year before was -30F on New Years Eve when we were all out in the streets after midnight for parties in Palace Square and long Nevsky pr. These changes might be a trend that saw more rain and cooler summer temps last summer than nornal. If so I might predict a warmer May and more rain and lower temps in July with more rain.

Prepare for light rain by wearing layers of light weight clothes and some rain protection. The hunidity of the mid summer will not be present in May.

Have a nice visit

Stan

Hi again,

Thanks for the weather forecast. Sounds like we picked a good time to visit.

There are maps of most of the ports on our itinerary under “Maps & Photos” in our signature. The program we have, Auto Route Europe by Microsoft, doesn’t cover the eastern block countries yet. Do you know of a good interactive map on the Internet that shows the location of most of the points of interest around St Petersburg?

John

There are maps of most of the ports on our itinerary under “Maps & Photos” in our signature. The program we have, Auto Route Europe by Microsoft, doesn’t cover the eastern block countries yet. Do you know of a good interactive map on the Internet that shows the location of most of the points of interest around St Petersburg?

John

Hi John

I do not know of one in English but there is a CD Rom available in St Petersburg that I picked up for 100 Rubles that has every street and most businesses, all museums, theaters, parks and every single house number, with the bus routs, metro and trams lines in an interesting interactive format. Select any location and it tells you what trams, buses and route taxis take you to the nearest metro or which transport to take to get to a particular house number. It is cool but I do not think it is on-line. It is called Top Plan Tourist Guide St Petersburg.

Their web site is http://www.topplan.ru but it is in Russian only. They describe the new 2005 version which is in English but the site is not. According to the web site, 55,000 businesses/organizations are list as well as 15,000 web address plus all house outlines and house numbers.

I did a Google for interactive maps of St Peterburg and found

Map

and another map

These are not anywhere as detailed or accurate as the CD-Rom but they are available on-line

Hope this helps

Stan

Archived