In your opinion, do you feel that S.A. is a safe place to cruise?

Gone_Again

Hi everyone! We are looking into doing a S.A. cruise next Jan (2008). I just wanted to ask anyone who has been there if there is any security concerns. I'm one of those people who hear all the horror stories from South America and wonder if it really is safe to go to. I've always been fasincated by SA, but don't want to go somewhere that I don't feel comfortable.

Just wanted to feel around and see what others who have experienced it thought. Is there any real reason to be concerned from what you experienced? Or is it something that has been blown out of proportion?

The area we are looking at is either Brazil/Argentina or Panama Canal to Lima. If we choose not to visit S.A., we will probably do the Panama canal to California.

Thanks.

I am comfortable cruising just about anywhere. Just be careful how & where you go. My Mother & I are sailing on the Infinity from Buenos Aires to Fort Lauderdale in late February. I'll be using the ship's excursions for the most part.

On another note, SeaDream Ycht Club recently announced it would not be sailing SA next season due to various operational difficulties. They also sited the increase in crime in Brazil as a contributing factor.

We just returned from the Infinity sailing 1/14 - 1/28 from Buenos Aires to Valpariso. I spent several days in BA before the cruise and never felt uncomfortable. We were warned not to use the subways. We did not visit Brazil so I cannot comment on that country but Argentina and Chile were wonderful and the people were warm and freindly.

Bob

TO Gone again

I have been to S.A. over 12 times in the last 2 years and it is very safe if you use the same common sense you use in Major USA cities. Stay in good areas of the city.

Most smaller towns are very safe as they are here.

In Peru money changers exchange cash on street corners it is that safe in several of the districts there.

Though I would avoid Brazil and Venezuela, but the rest of S A is fairly safe.

Make your cruise plans and dont worry have a great time and see some of the great sights many people will never see

Our cruise started from Rio last January and I am glad that we went to this famous city. We did have to be careful and we did not flaunt any wealth. We did not wear jewellery and I had on my wrist a copy watch just in case it was snatched but no time did we feel unsafe.

The rest of the countries that we visited we felt perfectly at home and we would do that wonderful cruise again.

There are lot of places in this world, that if you listened to every story, you would not visit and then you would have missed out on seeing some wonderful sights.

Just be careful, do not carry large amounts of money around and lots of credit cards so that if you happen to be robbed you have not lost everything.

My husband usually carries $100 and one credit card which goes into a special holder which is threaded through his belt and is tucked into his trousers. We usually carry a copy of the first page of our passports in case of any difficulty.

South America is no different from any other part of the world except for New Zealand and Australia, where one can feel really safe.

Jennie

South America isn't a "place." Some places are quite safe, some places are not. I'd be particularly careful in Sao Paulo and Rio. At the other extreme would be the Chilean Fjords and all of Patagonia.. very "comfortable" palces to visit. Certain areas of Venezula and Columbia can be quite scary. I doubt you will be cruising in Bolivia and Paraguay <grin> -- they both can be "intersting."

Paul -- ok, now tell me you are going to Peru. <grin>

Great comment, Dileep!

We just returned from Santiago to Rio via Antarctica. It was wonderful! I was also quite concerned about Rio, but took the recommended precautions and was okay. Rio is beautiful.......so glad we went. I booked private tours for most ports and had a great time!

I booked private tours for most ports and had a great time!

Crazy - Did you book a private tour for Rio? We will be there for two days next November and, if you did, would love to know who you used, what you did and approximate cost.

We booked a tour with Letitia Levy www.rioplus.net ( e-mail rioplus@rioplus.net). The first day there were 6 of us and we went to Petropolis. We had a tour of the palace, the catherdral where the emperor Pedro and family are buried, the crystal palace, the town, and a wonderful lunch with a fantastic buffet and drinks in a private home restaurant. It think the price was $80 per person (lunch was an additional $30). The second day there were 4 of us; we did the usual Rio highlights and then an airport dropoff. We had lunch at a very nice Brazilian steakhouse (they call a barbeque) meal not included. It was a day long tour for $105 per person. I do recommend her tours. Letitia did the first day with us but had another guide take us the second day. Both were very good but I personally preferred Letitia.

• 3 weeks later...

We just got back from a land trip - five days in Buenos Aires and then we flew to Rio for three days. We felt very safe in Buenos Aires. Rio, on the other hand, is different. The poverty is everywhere and it was not very comfortable walking around. During the day, in crowded areas like Ipanema, it was fine. I would hesitate to go off alone anywhere. Take excursions with the ship or a private guide and you should be fine. Don't wear fancy jewelry or carry a big camera if you are alone.

Our cruise started from Rio last January and I am glad that we went to this famous city. Jennie

HI, Jennie,

We are thinking about a South American cruise to Antarctica,next yr, and are at a loss as to which is the easiest port in S.A. for us (near Brisbane) to fly to??

It is confusing, most cruises I look at only go between Nov and Feb., we would have liked APRIL.08..and all flights I have looked at have about 3 stops to get there, did you fly direct to Rio from Melbourne, and if not, where did you stop over to change, please??

HI, Jennie,

We are thinking about a South American cruise to Antarctica,next yr, and are at a loss as to which is the easiest port in S.A. for us (near Brisbane) to fly to??

It is confusing, most cruises I look at only go between Nov and Feb., we would have liked APRIL.08..and all flights I have looked at have about 3 stops to get there, did you fly direct to Rio from Melbourne, and if not, where did you stop over to change, please??

There is no direct way to get to Rio or Buenos Aries from Australia. We looked at using Lan Chile and they fly from Sydney to Valpariso and then you have to use another plane to get to the East Coast. We were using Qantas F.F. points so could have used Lan Chile but unfortunately there just doesn't seem to be any Business Class seats available for F.F. at that time of year.

Instead, we flew Qantas to L.A. and then used American Airlines to fly on to Rio via Miami. It was a long haul and in Miami we had an 11 hour stopover, so I booked an Airport Hotel - the Crowne Plaza - for day use.

We arrived into Miami at 5am and left for the airport at 8pm, so were able to have some sleep before going on to Rio where we arrived at 10am next morning. We did fly First Class which did help with the flights though in the U.S. First Class is not much better than our Economy.

Coming home we flew out of Quito as we had been to the Galapagos Islands and again we flew with American Airlines via Miami to L.A. and after a 3 day break in L.A. we flew home direct to Melbourne with Qantas.

You could do the same flights more or less with Air New Zealand, as they fly to L.A. and then I believe you would link up with one of the Star Alliance airways to get you to South America eg. United.

It is a long way but it was well worth the trip. Seeing Antarctica was a highlight amongst many which included the Iguazu Falls, Machu Picchu and the Galapagos Islands. We were away for 7 weeks.

Jennie

:) thank you Aussie Gal, from another!!

good info, we are flying to Miami next month via LA with Air Nz, and AA,(caribbean trip) so I guess we can do that again , just add the bit to Rio..

I have looked at so many airline routes, my head was spinning!!

Archived