Jim Cramer--CCL vs. RCI-- Mad Money

gsb

On tonight's Mad Money show, Jim proclaimed CCL best of breed in the cruise industry and put a sell on RCI.

They must be doing something right.;)

I heard Cramer say that and I was miffed. I wanted to fire off an e-mail to him, boo yah fast, and show him some "House of Pain." However, I really believe what he is referring to is the investment fundamentals of CCL right now as compared to Royal Caribbean.

Cramer surely did turn around fast because it was only a couple of months ago he called RCI the Best of Breed. He can't mean the RCI ships and their amenities and service declined in two months' time to the extent that CCL is a better cruising experience, so he just HAS to be referring to the current stock fundamentals...price to earnings ratios, growth potential, value and more.

But as fast as he turned around, he'll probably turn around again in a few months. By the way, I wonder if he has ever been on a cruise, Royal Caribbean or otherwise. I confess sometimes I think Cramer is talking off the top of his head...this time may have been one of those. I am steamed.:mad:

My 16 year old son at the time decided he wanted to buy stock in a cruiseline, so he determined in his own mind that whoever was in line for the next biggest ship was the one to buy the stock in figuring they would sell the most cruises. How is that for logic? He did end up buying CCL I dont know why we have only cruised RCCL.

is ccl stock less than rci stock? should look it up myself but just thought i'd ask- carnival does well- prices are less most of the time but it is worth it to us to pay a tad more and get a better experience overall- just our opinion

is ccl stock less than rci stock? should look it up myself but just thought i'd ask- carnival does well- prices are less most of the time but it is worth it to us to pay a tad more and get a better experience overall- just our opinion

You bet. RCI is investing more into bringing more first time cruisers into the mix with newer innovative ship designs while Carnival turns out the same old product over and over.

Here is an article just released today that shows where Bear Stearns gives RCI an "outperform" rating and Carnival get a lower "peer" rating. It depends on who you listen to.

http://www.cruise-community.com/ShowStory.asp?ID=11126

I heard Cramer say that and I was miffed. I wanted to fire off an e-mail to him, boo yah fast, and show him some "House of Pain." However, I really believe what he is referring to is the investment fundamentals of CCL right now as compared to Royal Caribbean.

Cramer surely did turn around fast because it was only a couple of months ago he called RCI the Best of Breed. He can't mean the RCI ships and their amenities and service declined in two months' time to the extent that CCL is a better cruising experience, so he just HAS to be referring to the current stock fundamentals...price to earnings ratios, growth potential, value and more.

But as fast as he turned around, he'll probably turn around again in a few months. By the way, I wonder if he has ever been on a cruise, Royal Caribbean or otherwise. I confess sometimes I think Cramer is talking off the top of his head...this time may have been one of those. I am steamed.:mad:

HeavySurf, he is picking STOCKS, not vacations!

Do you have to be a beer drinker to own AnheuserBusch stock? Or a miner to own copper stocks?

Sheesh, he doesn't have to "try out" the two cruise lines to make a stock recommendation! :rolleyes:

Disclaimer: I grew up with Jimmy. :D

Though I watch "Mad Money" occasionally, I believe his advice is geared to stock traders who move in and out of stocks frequently depending on fundamentals and which way the wind is blowing at that particular time. I did purchase RCI last year at a decent price and have a nice profit but not enough to make me want to sell and chase the next one, for now the stockholder credits + modest dividend are fine with me to hold onto this one.

I have acted on a few of his recommendations but I can only watch his antics a few minutes at a time. :D

Taking a tangent here, but noticed your previous cruises. Comparing lines, it appears that you now prefer RCI. Curious from your experiences and if my observation is correct. If so, which ships/lines do you prefer.

I ask b/c we are Platinum on RCI, have been on Carnival (wouldn't go back) and Disney (probably will repeat if child wants to).

Thanks,

Carnival Corp. is the 800# gorilla. What is their market share of the cruising business, all owned lines included...something around 65% - 70% or so. That might explain it. :)

RCI is trading at the top of the 52 week range which seems to trigger Cramer to hit the sell button...

cruisen-family, In another post that you made this am, regarding RCCL's tipping policies, you stated you were a diamond member. In this post you say platinum. Based on the timing of the 2 posts you lost points in less than an hour. How did that happen?

cruisen-family, In another post that you made this am, regarding RCCL's tipping policies, you stated you were a diamond member. In this post you say platinum. Based on the timing of the 2 posts you lost points in less than an hour. How did that happen?

didn't know there was a scoreboard..., didn't realize that I typed Platinum....I like it when folks are entertaining on the board...thanks!:)

lol- ccl stock 51.77 a share rci stock 288 a share- maybe thats why your son bought ccl over rci? wow what a diff. :)

Your figures are really off. Carnival closed yesterday at $51.77, RCCL was $45.84. Wish I bought Carnival when the price was down a few months back!

Do you think Jim is a Carnival or Royal Caribbean Cruiser???

My bet is he is on the "do not make a reservation" list for Royal Caribbean, and is on the "give a free cruise list for making a comment on TV" for Carnival!

My opinion: I have and will always sail with RCCL/Celebrity.....not a Carnival Ship...

Do you think Jim is a Carnival or Royal Caribbean Cruiser???

My bet is he is on the "do not make a reservation" list for Royal Caribbean, and is on the "give a free cruise list for making a comment on TV" for Carnival!

My opinion: I have and will always sail with RCCL/Celebrity.....not a Carnival Ship...

You're missing out on some great cruises--The newer CCL ships are at least on par with the RCI's, and their food, entertainment and cabins are well ahead.

You're missing out on some great cruises--The newer CCL ships are at least on par with the RCI's, and their food, entertainment and cabins are well ahead.

That's a matter of opinion. There is not a ship in the Carnival fleet that can compare with RCI's Voyager, Radiance or Freedom class. As far as food and entertainment, that is up to each person to decide. Cabins are equal and suites are much nicer on RCI. The biggest difference between the two is the crew and RCI actually keeps their ships clean and well maintained. That is something Carnival falls short on. Below are three photos. The first two are of Carnival's newer ships (Glory promenade and Victory atrium) and the last is of the Navigator. Which would you rather spend a week aboard?????

Promenade.jpg.4624554356f85de4024af49963919da9.jpg

448086819_VictoryAtrium.jpg.8dfbd3d27b80a9181ff8d7bb0eb0b9dc.jpg

1243695822_NavigatorOTS121.jpg.3a8b558291c206f20bae19ad50dabf15.jpg

Well that shows how much I know about Carnival!!!!!

Sorry about that..........maybe you are right......one day I will give Carnival a try!!!

(My relatives love Carnival....so maybe a family cruise is coming soon..)

I think that you should give them a try and then you will know why you cruise RCI more often!!!!!!;) Carnival is not a bad cruise line but IMHO they fall short in the areas that are important to me but I still say try for yourself and decide.

Archived