Crown Princess - Opinions Please

WestchesterCruiseFan

My TA has two different cruises on Crown Princess that I'm probably going to take advantage of booking, and, I've read the reviews in the "REVIEW" section of Cruise Critic and also similar websites. The overwhelming majority seem to have only very positive things to say about Crown Princess :D

We've cruised Princess in the past and enjoy the cruise line. However, it's been a while, about 3 years now, and, I'd like some opinions on the following:

- We never opted for the Dine Anytime program. How do you honestly feel about it? I'm a bit leary about not having a confirmed dining time and, don't wish to wait an hour and half like I'm eating at chain restaurant. Would you please tell me your experiences.

- We've always booked a mini-suite on Princess but, alas, we're taking several cruises in 2007 and 2008 and, would like to cut back on expenses a bit. How are the standard balcony cabins compared to say Carnival or Royal Caribbean? I'm more concerned about balcony space than the size of the cabin, as most of you know, the Grand class ship mini-suites have those huge balconies and we just love it. So, what can we expect in a standard balcony?

- Alternative restaurants on Crown Princess - I'd love reviews for those of you who have ate in them!

Thanks so much!

My TA has two different cruises on Crown Princess that I'm probably going to take advantage of booking, and, I've read the reviews in the "REVIEW" section of Cruise Critic and also similar websites. The overwhelming majority seem to have only very positive things to say about Crown Princess :D

- We never opted for the Dine Anytime program. How do you honestly feel about it? I'm a bit leary about not having a confirmed dining time and, don't wish to wait an hour and half like I'm eating at chain restaurant. Would you please tell me your experiences.

We love the Anytime Dining - we didn't have to rush back from an excursion to shower and dress for dinner. We never had tow ait at all for a table - we walked right in and were seated.

- We've always booked a mini-suite on Princess but, alas, we're taking several cruises in 2007 and 2008 and, would like to cut back on expenses a bit. How are the standard balcony cabins compared to say Carnival or Royal Caribbean? I'm more concerned about balcony space than the size of the cabin, as most of you know, the Grand class ship mini-suites have those huge balconies and we just love it. So, what can we expect in a standard balcony?

See if you can get a balcony on the Caribe deck - they are a little larger than on other decks. Regular balconies only hold a table and two chairs - no loungers.

- Alternative restaurants on Crown Princess - I'd love reviews for those of you who have ate in them!

We ate at Sabatinis and loved it. Make a reservation as soon as you get on the ship. It was a lot of fun - the food just kept coming at you.

Thanks so much!

We loved our cruise on the Crown.

We've done both anytime dining and traditonal. Anytime dining: never had to wait for a table if you're prepared to sit with others. Traditional is nice as you get to eat with the same people every day and we were lucky we had a table of six and enjoyed everyone's company; it was sad to say goodbye. If you opt for anytime, go after 7:30 if you want a table for two. Never eaten at any of the specialty restaurants but I would opt for the steakhouse as I've heard only good things about it. We're booked on the Crown on March 31st and have a balcony cabin on the Caribe deck and really looking forward to the larger balcony. Room size is immaterial to us as we're only in the room to change before dinner and for sleeping. Our balcony on the Caribe deck is 9 ft. x 9 ft.(Approx.) I'd say book a balcony and use the extra money for shore excursions. Enjoy your cruise.(

We've cruised Princess in the past and enjoy the cruise line. However, it's been a while, about 3 years now, and, I'd like some opinions on the following:

Thanks so much!

We sailed the Crown last summer, ate at both Sabatini's and the Crown Grill and loved both of them. Sabatini's is pretty much the same as on the other ships, but here, it is in a new and vastly improved area, high up at the back of the ship. There is also an elegant attached lounge, called Adagio's, where they bring a selection of fancy olives with your cocktails -- delicious!! The Crown Grill is much more extensive than the usual Sterling's Steakhouse on the other ships. The atmosphere is lovely, all done in mahogany with wonderful booths along the window looking out on the promenade deck. The menu is much more elaborate than at at the other steakhouses --- they have the usual good selection of steaks, other fancy meats such as rack of lamb and veal chops, and a lot of fancy seafood dishes and great appetizers. I remember we had the lobster cake for an appetizer, the black and blue onion soup and the shrimp bisque, a separate course of their clam entrees ( an order of mussels and an order of steamed clams), then our entrees ( a filet for me and a porterhouse for DH). For dessert, we couldn;t decide, so the waiter brought us each a sample plate with small portions of all the selections. We thought it was well worth the $25 cover charge.

We did not try the anytime dining, but we were in a group of 8, and it just seemed easier to do the traditional. If it was just the two of us, I would opt for the anytime.

Sabatini's is great, but be prepared to be there for over 2 hours. We found the service and food to be excellent, there is just too much of it. I agree with the other poster about the desireability of the location, and about Adagios, a beautiful room, tasty olives, and a good pianist.

We were on the Baja deck, in an aft cabin, and found those balconies to be quite large. Large enough for an aluminum table 2 aluminum chairs and 2 loounge type chairs. The cabins themselves, and especially the bathrooms are the smallest we have experienced in 17 cruises. Don't drop the soap in the shower, you just about have to get out to pick it up.

We did not eat in the Crown Grill, but I wish we had. We could not get everybody, all family to agree to it, but it is a beautiful room.

All in All it is a great ship, with great service.

Just a reminder, on the Crown Sabatini's is at Deck 34 or something pretty high :eek: , and if the sea is not very cooperative, it does shake, rattle, and roll a little more than the Hoi Polloi dining areas (Decks 6, etc). We were there last month on the rockiest day of the cruise and it did feel like an airliner thru bumpy skies a bit.

Perhaps I am a good eater, but I did not feel we were over-fed. The tiramisu at the end was just amazing, and some of the cheeses and appetizers reminded me of my time in Southern Europe, extremely flavorful. The main course was good too. If you're a bread lover, they have some nice ones.

Archived