Opinions on Princess Melbourne excursions

Brookeh424

We are trying to decide betweeen the Best of melboune that includes Healesville and a river cruise and the Puffing Billy ride with lunch and Healesville. Has anyone done either of these??

(I have read the Preisman's website which led me to want to do the Puffing Billy, but I don't know anything about the river cruise.....)

I have been to both of these places (Puffing Billy & Healesville Sanctuary) many, many times with my children when they were younger. They are both popular places for people with young families and whilst I love going there and always enjoy myself, I am not sure if this would be the best way to spend your only day in Melbourne. It is quite a long bus ride to both places - a good 1 1/2 hours both ways by bus.

Jane;)

I would definitely do Healesville Sanctuary. Our Sanctuary is the best in Australia for our wild animals so if you are interested in nature and also if you want to see a lovely part of Melbourne, the Yarra Valley then go for it.

Puffing Billy is a small train that goes between Belgrave and Emerald. I presume you would be in the carriages that have the luncheon on board. It is a very pretty journey and you would see some of our lovely gums and forest whilst on the trip. I am not sure what month you will be here as Puffing Billy can be a hot journey as I know there is no air conditioning in the normal carriages but there could be in the luncheon ones.

I am not sure where the River Cruise is being taken. If it is in the city, then I would opt for the Sanctuary and the River cruise as you would see a different part of Melbourne, mainly some city sites and combined with the country where the Sanctuary is situated you would get an overall view of Melbourne.

I disagree with Jane on the time it takes to get to Puffing Billy. Puffing Billy would not take more than 50-60 minutes to get to as Belgrave is not that far out of Melbourne on a 2 lane highway. Healesville would take a little longer, probably take between an hour and an hour and a quarter but it is worth the trip as you would see a lot of how we Melbournians live, as you go through many suburbs between the ship and the Sanctuary.

You are foregoing seeing our beautiful city by spending your day this way but then again you have probably seen a lot of different cities and a day in the country is something you will always remember. It is a pity you do not have 2 days here.

Jennie

I have been to both of these places (Puffing Billy & Healesville Sanctuary) many, many times with my children when they were younger. They are both popular places for people with young families and whilst I love going there and always enjoy myself, I am not sure if this would be the best way to spend your only day in Melbourne. It is quite a long bus ride to both places - a good 1 1/2 hours both ways by bus.

Jane;)

Probably a slight exaggeration on my behalf with times (Puffing Billy)as Jennie pointed out. I think its only about a 40 - 50 km trip. However I was thinking more about the time getting everyone together, on the bus & off the bus etc etc.

I am doing a fun run in May - its a 13.2km run and we actaully race Puffing Billy:eek: . Lots of hills but very scenic. Hopefully the views will take my mind off the pain!!

Jane

Jane,

Good on you! You must be fit to run up and down all those hills.

I hope the weather will be a lot cooler by then for you. My daughter runs a few marathons and did the Dromana/Rosebud one a week ago. They had lovely cool weather for it. Not like yesterday's 38C.

Jennie

I have done the sydney "city to surf' fun run 7 or 8 times and while it Was fun at the time I cannot be so sure it would still be classed as "fun" these days!!

good on you for doing this sounds like an orginal idea.

karon

Thanks for the input!!

We definitely want to do Healesville so that is a done deal, now the trick is to choose between the Puffing Billy combo or the River Cruise combo.

A little about us, we are in our early 30's and have no kids or real train interest, but thought the ride maybe pretty since we aren't doing any train trips in NZ either in combination with tours offered.

Here is a little more info on the River Cruise/Healesville Sanctuary trip, maybe it will help those of you familiar with Melbourne give an impressoin which would be your preference.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Combine a river cruise of Melbourne with wine tasting in the Yarra Valley, famous for its international wines, and visit one of Melbourne's great wildlife parks.

WHAT YOU VISIT

Healesville Sanctuary - Opened in 1934, it features more than 200 species of Australian native birds, mammals and reptiles in a beautiful bushland setting. Encounter colorful birds and furry koalas; stroll amongst the kangaroos; meet an emu on the path, and hear dingoes howl. One of the sanctuary's highlights is the Sidney Myer World of the Platypus - the most comprehensive Platypus exhibit ever constructed.

YOUR MELBOURNE RIVER CRUISE

Cruising up the Melbourne's Yarra River is a rare chance to view wonderful, scenic river gardens and Herring Island. Your cruise passes the Botanic Gardens, one of the world's greatest gardens, as well as the famous Sporting Precinct.

WINE TASTING AND LUNCH

The Yarra Valley is famed for its wines, including shiraz, chardonnay and pinot noir. Visit an acclaimed winery for tasting and lunch at one of the excellent winery restaurants. Wine is available for purchase.

Brooke,

I would definitely go for this tour. It is a good one giving you a good insight of our city and I feel more suited to your age group, especially as you will be visiting a winery.

The Yarra Valley is very pretty and it is where a lot of our cool climate wine is grown. It is quite close to the Sanctuary so there is not a lot of driving between the two areas. I expect that they would take you to DeBoteli's winery and restaurant which is high on a hill with a great view and has good food.

Then you will return to the city and do the River Cruise. You will get quite a good perspective of Melbourne as you leave from Southbank which is right in the heart of the city and travel up our river eastwards passing as they say, our Rod Laver Tennis Centre, our Botanical Gardens etc. It is a lovely trip and very pretty.

To me, this is a good excursion with a great itinerary and you will return to the ship having seen quite a lot of Melbourne, the city, the suburbs and our bush. I just hope the weather behaves itself for you. When are you coming here?

Jennie

Brooke,

I am glad our review helped you to decide to go to Healesville. It is quite nice. The high point of the Puffing Billy portion of our excursion was the wonderful lunch at Fergguson's Yarra Valley Winery. We are not that big into train rides unless the scenery is really outstanding. There was some nice scenery on the way to Healesville, but if I were to do it again, I would probably pick the Yarra River cruise you are looking at. We just didn't get to see much of lovely Melbourne. We will definitely return to Australia one of these days to spend some quality time; and I can assure you that we will spend a few days in Melbourne.

if you are going to the de borteli winery i would suggest go there and your cruise. especially if it includes a trip to see the animals

my daughter is friends with the daughter from the winery.

she is a boarder at school.

mike, can i also add my sincere thanks for your wonderful reviews and webpages. I bookmarked them a while ago never thinking i would be using your information on one of my cruises!!. I dont think you will ever know how many people your information has helped.

karon (who is now hoping your med cruise info might one day help me!!)

Brooke,

April is a lovely month, half way through Autumn and the weather will be a lot cooler here then. It should be very pretty in the Yarra Valley as the vines will be turning colour and it could be harvest time for the grapes.

Jennie

Anyone do or have an opinion on this one?

YOUR KAYAKING ADVENTURE

Travel to the Mornington Peninsula and Port Phillip Heads where you meet your instructor-guide. After a safety orientation and kayaking lesson, board your two-person kayak to travel along the coastline learning about the Aboriginal history and the early settlers as your guide recounts the area’s colorful history. A picnic-style lunch is served on the beach. You may encounter bottle-nosed dolphins and Australian fur seals frolicking in the bay. If time permits after your kayak adventure, you can spend some free time exploring the beautiful seaside village of Sorrento.

WHAT YOU SEE ALONG THE WAY

Board a five-star luxury motorcoach for the approximately 2-hour drive from the ship to Bay Play Lodge near Sorrento.

I did read of someone doing that excursion in early January. It would be great to be out on our Bay and it sounds a fun excursion but the weather would be a major factor as for the past week or so the southerly winds have made our Bay very choppy and I would not like to be in a Kayak in those conditions.

A day like today, which is just perfect with little wind, would be ideal. Yesterday would have been just awful as the southerly wind was blowing and even though it was supposed to be in the low 20's, the wind made it feel cooler. I could not imagine having lunch on the beach in such conditions.

Jennie

I wouldn't be scared off the Bay kayak. If it's too rough, they won't take you.

However, if you want to play it safe, here is an option:

http://www.fairfieldboathouse.com/?_page=1

And here's a couple for Sydney:

http://www.kayaksydney.com/maxpages/Home

http://www.sydneyharbourkayaks.com.au/pages/tours_eco.asp

Vozzie,

What a brilliant idea of yours to go to the Fairfield Boathouse. It is not that far from the city centre and is situated on our Yarra River. You can hire boats and probably kayaks there and go for a row up or down the river.

The Boathouse has plenty to offer if you are hungry and it is situated in a lovely part of Melbourne. It would be a great way to spend a morning and then you would still have time for more sightseeing.

Jennie

• 2 weeks later...
Wow! You guys are great! Thanks so much for the information.

We also did the Puffing Billy, Healesville and the Yarra Valley winery for lunch. It was a wonderful day. Puffing Billy is a very bumpy ride and we ended up covered in smuts - but it was worth it - I only wish I had had my 3 year old grandson with us as he is Thomas the Tank Engine mad and he would have loved it - they even had a Station Master who looked just like the Fat Controller!! Healesville was good but it was very, very hot walking round. The duckbilled platypuses were a little shy but we did manage to see one - fascinating and the koalas were adorable but again, it was very hot, and they were just sleeping in the branches. Then on to a very good lunch at the winery - it would have been nice to hear something of how the wine is made but the roast beef was very good. On the way back we detoured off the very busy highway due to time constraints and had a ride through Melbourne, along the river, back to the dock.

All in all, a very good day - you will love Melbourne whatever you decide to do.

Chris:D

Archived