Chef's night????????

cle1

They did have the Baked Alaska parade which I assumed was something just done on Alaska cruises? Perhaps they are tryng to add something to the Non-Alaska cruises?

No, baked Alaska is traditionally done on every cruise.

Another routine that was kind of embarrasing was the "Running of the Mousse". Remember that? That was another one that was a bit silly, but kind of cute on Alaska cruises. Maybe you could get away with it on the Canada portion of New England/Canada cruises. But for the rest of the itinerary it was downright silly.

Give me the mousse, sure. It was delicious. But lose that ridiculous delivery system.

DH and I recently cruised on the Volendam,January 22 sailing.Having read some of the posts describing the Chef,s Dinner,we had intended do give it a "pass".Glad we did'nt...we both really enjoyed the Menu and all the fun and it appeared to us that our fellow diners were also getting into the spirit.

We are with iceman 93,try it you might like it !!!

Mary Planning our HAL 2008 cruise.

The previous posters have given a good explanation of this dinner.

IMHO, the entire dinner experience was not a positive one. Menu selections are limited, and service is slowed by waiting for the Cast members to provide music and dancing between courses.

The entire performance was cheesy, bordering on tacky.

Just my opinion...

Pincus

My table thought it was wonderful, and I find it amusing that all the people who pooh-pooh it haven't even experienced it. Use the Pinnacle or the Lido that night all you want--you're only cheating yourself out of something you might enjoy if you only give it half a chance.

The staff we spoke to really enjoyed getting to perform a little bit, and having something to break up the monotony of the dinner service night after night. As I glanced around the dining room, I saw nothing but smiles as people waved their napkins and clapped along. All in all, it was a very "Disney" experience (which is a high compliment, coming from me), meaning it was well-planned and well-executed. It had the potential to be cheezy (much like the renewal of vows), but instead came across fun and natural.

:rolleyes: I was NOT looking forward to it on our Christmas Veendam cruise because of what I read here. I ditto Iceman ... it was a refreshingly different night ... we thought the food was exceptional ... and yes, everyone was smiling! Maybe it's just where we sit on our cruises (always upstairs) ... but most people don't look especially happy dining anymore. Was nice to see "happy" at dinner time.

Linda & Vern

wow, such mixed reviews !!! I was hoping to narrow down a night to try the Pinaccle so thought the Chef's dinner might be a good one to miss...now I'm not so sure .....decisions, decisions....

we still want to try out the Pinnacle and I'd like to book the Pinnacle online ahead of the cruise....how can we find out what night is Chef's night, what night is formal nights, Dutch night, etc....thanks !

we're on the Zuiderdam, by the way....can't wait !!!

Mary and I were on the Veendam late October and early December this year and had the Chef's dinner on both trips. The first trip is was on Halloween night and it really didn't matter, everybody was having a great time. Yes, they were stiil trying to work out the kinks.

Thirty-five days later we were back on the Veendan for our December cruise at a table for eight. The presentation actually worked. Everyone at our table really liked the "Food Floor Show". Come on folks give them a break. They are just trying to have fun. Also the menu on that night was great and had enough selections for all tastes.

Chef Rudi's desert

2887129760067870248SkwAtg_th.jpg

Come on folks give them a break. They are just trying to have fun.

For me, "the object of the game" is to enjoy my food and dining companions. The performers wanting to "have fun" is not my concern during my dinner.

I didn't object to the 'entertainment', but it DID interupt table conversation. My main objection is the menu, which I found VERY limited - not being a fan of fungus. The only thing that appealed at all was called Lobster Bisque on the menu, but what they served that night could very kindly have been called Lobster Broth. I will definately look to avoid in the future. (Not enough to make me book a dreaded Vista, but I'd consider returning to the PG that night - even if I don't find it worth the $ anymore.)

Actually I tend to kind of like hokey! I think this sounds like fun......and I am going to have fun!

Maybe you've hit the nail on the head in two ways, Karen. One, having fun is a choice (and those who've already decided they won't have fun with this most assuredly won't, and they'll come back here and complain about how awful it was). Two, I think HAL's target audience is like you, people who "kind of like hokey"! Somewhere in between the stereotypical Carnival party animal and the equally stereotypical Cunard snob. Elegant people who still know how to crack a smile now and again... ;)

I've been a "yes" vote for the Chef's Dinner on other threads, and am moved to chime in again. Both times that I have experienced it, I noticed a positive response to it throughout the diningroom. I actually did enjoy the theatrics as well as the food.

While always appreciating the quiet elegance of the diningroom each night, I think that this attempt to do something different on one night of the cruise is worthy of support.

Just my two cents.:)

We were on the Volendam last Oct 06 . I my opinion anyone who didn't like

the dining room was a sleep or missed the Dining room at all. The best meal of

the day was the Dining room .Had the Pool Party Barbeque on board and

found the food not very well cooked (ether overdone or almost raw) .Our

whole table found the food and companionship very plesant

(same people for 19 days)

It's the old baked Alaska night! Rgds, :cool:

No, they still have the baked alaska parade on another night. That's okay IMO, but the Chef's night theatrics were toooooo overdone, and disruptive of the normal pleasant experience throughout the entire dinner.

I read somewhere on this forum that on the Vistas they have the menu but not the show.

Thankfully, that was the case on the Noordam last month.

I like my show in the Vista Lounge, not the Vista Restaurant.

Just returned from the Maasdam. Chef's night turned to be low key, but fun. Dinner service moved right along. Heard no complaints, but saw a lot of smiling faces from both the passengers and the crew. We thought it to be well done and a nice break from the normal routine.

Archived