Hyatt Regency Grand Cayman Review:

LuckiStac13*Majesty*

Just got back from a week aboard Royal Caribbean’s Grandeur of the Seas 7-Night Western Caribbean and we spent the day at the Hyatt Regency GC on Tuesday, January 30th. My review won’t be long, but just reply with questions and I will be more than happy to answer them.

Cayman ~ we had a beautiful day with all sun and temps in the High 80’s. We dropped anchor at 7:00 a.m. and had 6 ships in that day. The Norwegian Majesty was supposed to be the 7th, however she had a Medical Emergency and had to go right to Cozumel for a sick passenger. Downtown was extremely crowded, and being on one of the first tenders, we arrived there at about 8:30 a.m. Margaritaville is right by the pier and we stopped in for a few things. We then grabbed a Taxi ($12) and headed to the Hyatt Regency Grand Cayman where we purchased day passes for $25 each.

I e-mailed the Hyatt’s Reservations department prior to going. It was well worth it for us, as my dad is diabetic and not in the best of health, and he had plenty of shade, 2 pools, a hot tub, a beach Bar/restaurant, and other things to keep him safe and out of the sun. The property is beautiful and the beach (7-Mile, of course) was breathtaking. I loved every minute of it. It was not that crowded at all, and it looked to me as if you had to have the Hyatt Day pass or be a guest at the hotel to use the beach. I saw many people being asked to leave (although they were using Hyatt’s chairs so that was probably it). When you pull up to the Hotel, the lobby is to the left and it’s a small area. When you purchase the day pass, you walk out of the lobby back outside and follow the path right down to the beach. You will have to show the very nice gentleman your pass and he will show you where to get your towels. Once you get them, you are free to use the pools, hot tub, beach, etc. There are quite a few chairs on the beach and they are covered with a blue awning/umbrella type of cloth that will give you some shade if you’d like.

Red Sail Sports was here as well, right on the beach, where you could rent all equipment, including Jet Ski’s. The water was beautiful and very warm. It was a little rocky (a lot of small rocks and shells) where you first start to enter the water, but after you get in past your ankles, it’s fine. The beach bar/restaurant (SEVEN MILE BEACH BAR) was excellent as well and fairly priced for Grand Cayman. It’s right there on the beach next to Hemingway’s Restaurant. A burger was $8.95, drinks $8.00, etc. I knew what to expect so I was not shocked. They had Coconut shrimp, a spicy chicken wrap, salads, pizzas, etc. I had the Hyatt Sea Turtle frozen drink and it was honestly the best drink I have ever had. They played a mixture of Reggae and Easy Listening music (Sade, etc.) and it was great! After spending the day here (it was cut a little short b/c my parents wanted to shop and we had to be back by 3:30), we headed back to town (very easy to get taxi’s) and stopped at Breeze’s, a restaurant/bar in the downtown/pier area. It was very good as well! Can’t complain about Grand Cayman at all, I loved it.

Any questions, just ask!!

Thank you! This was very helpful. I think my husband and I will do the same thing next month. One question...you said you had emailed the Hyatt before you went...is this necessary? Do I need to reserve ahead or can I just arrive and purchase the passes? And do I buy the passes in the lobby?

Thank you so much. I'm glad you had such a nice trip.

Thank you! This was very helpful. I think my husband and I will do the same thing next month. One question...you said you had emailed the Hyatt before you went...is this necessary? Do I need to reserve ahead or can I just arrive and purchase the passes? And do I buy the passes in the lobby?

Thank you so much. I'm glad you had such a nice trip.

Thank you for the detailed review! It is very helpful for future cruisers. We were thinking of also going to the Hyatt for the day, but was wondering what the big difference is between that and going to Sea Grape, where you can rent an umbrella with 2 chairs for $25.00. Apparently there are washrooms, snack bar, but you have to bring your own towels, and no pool. Anybody have any input on this?

Thank you for the detailed review! It is very helpful for future cruisers. We were thinking of also going to the Hyatt for the day, but was wondering what the big difference is between that and going to Sea Grape, where you can rent an umbrella with 2 chairs for $25.00. Apparently there are washrooms, snack bar, but you have to bring your own towels, and no pool. Anybody have any input on this?

If you hop in one of the mini-buses out front, they will drop you at the Beach Club, which is right next door to the Hyatt. They only charge $4/pp. When you are ready to leave, just walk back and you can get a lift back to the pier for the same price.

They will indeed take credit cards - just say that is all you have, (we did have enough cash just in case, which is always advisable). They will begrudge it but if you press it, they will run it through after a fashion. They are a hotel and certainly accept credit cards for their guests after all :) There is no need to email them first as they only sell the passes in person. Of course you can pay with credit card at the beach bar and they will run you a tab. The beach bar staff was terrific.

We did the parasailing with Red Sail Sports, which is located on property. It was fabulous and I HIGHLY recommend their services.

The beach is perfection. 'Nuff said :)

http://www.redsailcayman.com/gc_index.html

This is the best known operator on GC and the ones we parasailed with. They will set you up for waverunners, diving, snorkeling, parasailing, and more. They operate right from the Hyatt and we were very impressed with their service, (I've parasailed probably 2 dozen times). I don't recall the cost...maybe around $60/pp - I am sure their website can provide the info you seek, both for parasail and snorkeling. They will deliver you by boat to the optimum diving/snorkeling spots. GC is known for its diving so, yes, I imagine you won't be disappointed - have fun :)

You can snorkel right there if you want, sure. You will even see the odd colorful fish swim by BUT...why would you? Grand Cayman has among the best scuba/snorkeling anywhere in the world. They have two 'walls', numerous wrecks and a "city" of stingrays, all providing the most spectacular reefs and marine life available anywhere. If you want to snorkel, then do yourself a favor and hop aboard the boat that leaves right from the Hyatt beach and do it right :)

Yes, you can snorkel there. There is a coral head about 100 yards out (or so). It is marked with a bouey and there are lots of fish. I found it when the red sail people took a group out there from the beach. Have a buddy, though, to go out.

How crowded was the Hyatt pool area with so many ships in port? is there a changing area with showers if you buy the day pass? What else does the day pass include? We were just in Gr cayman & it was a zoo--we had a nice lunch but headed back to the ship for some peace & quiet. We are returning in April & hope to enjoy a beach or pool day but not if it is so crowded...

Just want to mention that the use of the beaches in GC are free. At the Hyatt you are just paying to rent the chairs and umbrellas, etc. If you're not the sedentary, sun soaking type you may not need/want to pay their fee.

Another suggestion, if entering the water seems a little rocky, just try down another 10 feet or so and you find it much smoother.

We are taking our first cruise in June 2007 :), and I had emailed the Hyatt Grand Cayman to ask about day rates when we are there in June. This is the email I received back:

Dear XXX:

Thank you for contacting Hyatt Gold Passport Customer Service. I

appreciate the opportunity to assist you.

Unfortunately, the Hyatt Grand Cayman does not offer day rates during

your desired dates of travel. I apologize for any inconvenience that

this may cause you.

Please let me know if I may assist you further. Thank you for your

continued support of the Hyatt Gold Passport program.

Sincerely,

Steve

Hyatt Gold Passport Representative

Is this just a seasonal service they offer? Any ideas why this would not be offered during our travel time?

Thanks!!!!

I just received this email from the Grand Hyatt. I am pretty sure that I mentioned April in my original email. So maybe June is a busy time for them??

Greetings from Hyatt Regency Grand Cayman,

Day pass are US$25.00 per person ( Cash Only )

for children under 10 years is free over that is US$15.00

per child.The day pass includes beach chair, towels, pool

and you are free to purchase food at the pool bar or the Hemmingways

restaurant you can use credit card to purchase your lunch.

Thanks for choosing Hyatt Regency Grand.

Archived