Clearing Customs with OTC medications

TexasSonny&Cher

I've been reading different things about declaring over-the-counter medications when going through Customs in Australia. I usually carry a 'pill box' with aspirin, Tylenol, Sudafed, calcium supplements, Immodium, etc. Will I have any trouble getting through Customs?

• 2 weeks later...
I've been reading different things about declaring over-the-counter medications when going through Customs in Australia. I usually carry a 'pill box' with aspirin, Tylenol, Sudafed, calcium supplements, Immodium, etc. Will I have any trouble getting through Customs?

You must say on your Immigration card that you have over the counter medication as well as prescription medication. We did and all that happened was that the Immigration Officer in Sydney asked us to confirm that we had them and then we went straight through. Hope it works the same for you.

Chris:)

We always carry both prescription drugs and OTC medications and we have never declared them on our arrival back into Australia. We have them in a ziplock bag in our hand luggage and we have been travelling overseas, often twice a year for the past 30 years.

The customs people are looking for food products, such as biscuits, chocolates, pates, cheeses, salamis, meats etc and also drugs but of a different kind.

I do not even know where you would mark them in on your customs form as there is nowhere that mentions medications.

Jennie

We always carry both prescription drugs and OTC medications and we have never declared them on our arrival back into Australia. We have them in a ziplock bag in our hand luggage and we have been travelling overseas, often twice a year for the past 30 years.

The customs people are looking for food products, such as biscuits, chocolates, pates, cheeses, salamis, meats etc and also drugs but of a different kind.

I do not even know where you would mark them in on your customs form as there is nowhere that mentions medications.

Jennie

I only know that on the Australia leg of our 23/1 cruise, when we arrived in Hobart, there was definitely a space on our Immigration card to show whether we had any medications with us, over the counter or prescribed. We marked that we had. We were given back the same immigration card the day before we finally disembarked into Sydney and when we went through after picking up our luggage we were asked by an official (don't remember if immigration or customs) to confirm that we had medications with us. Once we had confirmed that the card was correct, we were allowed to go through.

I can't say more than that - that was our very recent experience.

Chris:)

We traveled/flew around Australia precruise in January and had no problems with over-the-counter medicine as you described. I never ever thought twice about it, and neither did customs. Also had some prescriptions mixed in and, as they say in Australia, no worries!

I haven't been to Oz since Feb 2006, so don't know if anything has changed since then.

But I have never ever declared a single item of medication that I've been carrying, whether OTC or prescription. Wouldn't have dreamt about doing so, and have never seen a space on any form asking for it.

• 4 months later...

We enter Australia via a port of call on our cruise. I presume the OTC stuff just stays in the cabin and we can say yes we have it on any form. We will of course have foodstuffs- I will not have eaten all my night time choccies by that stage :)

Just bring them in in their original containers and make sure they are labelled. We have just returned from being out of the country for 3 weeks and as I said in a previous posting, we have never declared them. In fact, I am sure there isn't a question on the actual form. They are ask questions about food, plants etc. and hard drugs such as cocaine and heroin. Certainly nothing about medications.

Jennie

funnily though uktog you will have to declare those chocolates. any FOOD has to be declared, they will let you bring it in no problems they just need to see it.

we got caught with some hard lollies i had in my bag i had totally forgotten about and was treated like it WAS hard drugs!!!I was so embarrassed now i declare everything, which sometimes can get you through sydney customs quicker (but not always!!)

We have never declared our prescription medications or over the counter drugs and have never been asked whether we had any with us. We went to NZ and Australia last Nov-Dec. Just be sure to leave the prescription medication in their original containers to be safe.

We have just returned from being out of the country for 3 weeks and as I said in a previous posting, we have never declared them. In fact, I am sure there isn't a question on the actual form.
I can confirm this. I arrived in Australia last week with my usual haul of over-the-counter medication. There was no relevant question on the Customs declaration form, nor was anything asked.

I usually have my meds in a divided/sectioned med box. If I bring this pre-filled box with me, and the printed descriptions from my pharmacy, will this be O.K. I can always bring all the plastic, original containers, but I really wanted to save space.

Karyn

I usually have my meds in a divided/sectioned med box. If I bring this pre-filled box with me, and the printed descriptions from my pharmacy, will this be O.K. I can always bring all the plastic, original containers, but I really wanted to save space.

Karyn

Of course it will be alright. Customs do not ask to see any medications. It is not something you have to show them on arrival and you do not have to declare them! Customs are only interested in food stuffs, cocaine and heroin. Declare all chocolate and nuts, throw away fruit before you arrive and don't bring in any hard drugs!

Jennie.

Karyn

Its a good idea to have the prescriptions with you. You don't have to declare them, but if you were unlucky enough to have your luggage randomly searched, its important that the medication can be identified. Thats why it is usually better to have them in original packaging, but having the prescriptions should suffice.

I would agree with you on that, but our prescription scrip is taken by the whoever fills the prescription and you don't get it back. I am sure the original containers will suffice. We carry ours in our carryon, not in our luggage. have done alot of travelling and have never had a problem.

Archived