Is this right about luggage?

sassafrass

Don't even bother with the TSA locks... they will cost more than your luggage.

I went to the local drug store, Longs Drugs, and went to their subdry section and purchased these zip-lock ties that have a quick release on them. You can use them over and over again.

Cost: About $2 for 25.

And if someone need to inspect your bags, they just quick release the ties... search your bag, and zip it back up again for you.

I like them because they keep my zipper tabs connected together; the tabs have holes to slide the zip-ties through. The last thing I want is for a zipper to unzip during transportation.

I have to agree with Kevin's girl. The TSA locks, though they can be expensive, keep the curious honest while still allowing security to inspect your bags and then relock them. I think that all of the TSA locks will tell you if your locks have been opened and relock. On mine a dot changes color from green to red. Let's you know to take extra care to see if anything is missing or not. I got my locks on line and saved a little.

What ever floats your boat. But if you use zip ties and there gone and you have something of value missing your sh_t out of luck. If they open your TSA locks theres a flag that triggers to let you know some one with the key open your locks and the TSA can't reset the flag. Plus if they open your cases there suppose to put a notice in the case if they opened it.

And whatever floats your boat...

Using your logic, why can't they just open your TSA locks and throw them away too. If they're gone and you have something of value missing, your sh_t out of luck... just as you suggest might happen with a zip-tie.

Then you wouldn't have any flag you can use as "evidence" that someone got into your luggage and stole something...:eek:

Bottom line... you are not going to keep a thief out of your luggage... you can only reduce opportunity.

Even if TSA opens a TSA approved lock and something is missing, you're still out of luck. Luggage has to be lost or damaged to collect from the airlines. If something is missing, it's your word against theirs. The cruise lines say lock your bags, not for security, but to prevent your bag from popping open or having the zipper catch and open up and spill all your clothes, etc. I don't bother locking my bags when I fly, but I also don't pack anything in them that's worth stealing. I carry that on. Same for a cruise. Jewelry, camera, money, etc gets carried on by me. Also, I have heard many stories from friends/co-workers about TSA not bothering to find the key for the locks and just cutting them off like they do any other locks. There are several different keys for TSA locks and while TSA is supposed to have all the keys, they don't necessarily take the time to find the correct one.

I have never locked mine yet. I had some scuba stuff in mine when I went on the Miracle, and when I got home there was a note inside saying they opened it at the airport and took a look. I woulden't put a dive computer in there or anything I won't miss, but I dont lock mine. I also put my luggage tags on before I leave for the airport, and I have never lost one yet. It makes it easier to fing my bags, and if my bag is lost I would like it to find the ship.

What ever floats your boat. But if you use zip ties and there gone and you have something of value missing your sh_t out of luck. If they open your TSA locks theres a flag that triggers to let you know some one with the key open your locks and the TSA can't reset the flag. Plus if they open your cases there suppose to put a notice in the case if they opened it.

Hi Al

Its been a while. Its nice to see you made it back. You must be getting ready soon to go on your cruise.

Hi Al

Its been a while. Its nice to see you made it back. You must be getting ready soon to go on your cruise.

We're ready to leave, just waiting for the docs.

Drove by your place Monday saw a SUV parked by the rear door. Are you still going in?

And whatever floats your boat...

Using your logic, why can't they just open your TSA locks and throw them away too. If they're gone and you have something of value missing, your sh_t out of luck... just as you suggest might happen with a zip-tie.

Then you wouldn't have any flag you can use as "evidence" that someone got into your luggage and stole something...:eek:

Bottom line... you are not going to keep a thief out of your luggage... you can only reduce opportunity.

If they're opened and gone they're responsible. With a zip tie anyone can get in a porter, loader, fueler, etc. I'll still go with the TSA locks.

Have never locked my luggage for the airlines (except for International flights) or the ship, and have never had anything missing... I would never pack anything that couldn't be replaced, and if someone wants in, they will get in... however, I can't recall a single story of someone having their items stolen out of their suitcases when flying. Do what makes you comfortable, but don't stress over it... and ALWAYS carry any valuables with you, locked or unlocked luggage.

If they're opened and gone they're responsible. With a zip tie anyone can get in a porter, loader, fueler, etc. I'll still go with the TSA locks.

Where is that info?? In looking at the TSA site, it doesn't say anything about loss or theft or responsibility... I've never heard that before, regarding them being responsible as long as you use the TSA approved locks... I see where they handle claims, but nothing saying they only handle them for those with TSA approved locks... the benefit of the locks is so they can open them without destroying a persons locks. http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/locks.shtm

Also, from the TSA:

TSA assumes a very limited role with respect to checked baggage handling. We are only responsible for checked baggage from the time it is presented for screening until the time it has been cleared after screening. Once checked baggage has been screened and cleared, air carriers are responsible for transporting it to its final destination. TSA generally has no role in prioritizing, sorting, or transporting checked baggage. As a result, the amount of time checked baggage is under TSA control is relatively short, though it will vary depending upon the operational conditions of the airport. However, in many cases passengers have the opportunity to deliver checked baggage directly to TSA and observe as their checked baggage is cleared and delivered to the airline.

TSA has an excellent track record when it comes to appropriately handling all forms of passenger property, including checked baggage. Since we assumed control over aviation security, over 2 billion passengers have been screened, and we have recorded approximately 84,000 claims alleging lost or damaged property. The incidence of damage or loss attributable to TSA security operations is well below one tenth of one percent of passengers traveling through the system. Nevertheless, TSA screening has occasionally resulted in some delay, damage, and loss to checked baggage, and we are working diligently to prevent even these anomalies.

TSA goes to great lengths to educate the traveling public about how to pack and secure checked baggage. TSA’s public website (http://www.tsa.gov) provides travelers with tips on packing for air travel, including a recommendation to use a TSA recognized lock if the traveler wishes to lock their checked baggage. The site provides links to the TSA accepted and recognized locks. Virtually all air carrier and internet travel websites contain links to TSA’s Travel Tips website containing this information.

Theft from passengers is a problem that affects all key players in the aviation industry, and unfortunately, TSA is not immune. Our policy regarding theft is to take action to deter it, and react aggressively when we become aware of it. Our Transportation Security Officers are held to the highest professional and ethical standards. As a result, we have a zero-tolerance policy for theft in the workplace. Allegations of misconduct are aggressively investigated, and when infractions are discovered, offenders are swiftly removed from the agency’s employment. Since August 2002, 87 TSOs have been removed from employment for theft from passengers’ checked or carry-on baggage. Many of the offending screeners were turned in by their fellow employees. TSA also works with State and local law enforcement to ensure that offenders are prosecuted.

If a passenger believes that his or her property has been lost, damaged, or stolen due to TSA actions, they are encouraged to contact TSA as soon as possible. Although a claim may be filed within two years of the event, the earlier a claimant contacts TSA, the easier it will be to investigate and make a determination on the claim. Potential claimants can get information about filing claims from a number of sources, including the TSA Customer Contact Center (866-289-9673), TSA’s public website (http://www.tsa.gov), and TSA’s Claims Management website (http://www.tsaclaims.org). These resources can provide potential claimants with the information and forms necessary to file a claim.

TSA has been accepting claims for items lost or damaged in the screening process since we assumed responsibility for aviation security in February 2002. In that time, we have received approximately 84,000 claims, an average of approximately 25,600 claims per year or 2,100 new claims per month though calendar year 2005. In 2006, claims have fallen dramatically, with the number of claims during the first quarter of 2006 down by approximately 30% from the same time period a year ago to an average of approximately 1,800 claims per month. Checked baggage accounts for approximately 85% of claims volume. To date in Fiscal Year 2006, we have spent approximately $1.1 million to settle administrative claims. The average claim is settled for approximately $150.

The cruise lines say lock your bags, not for security, but to prevent your bag from popping open or having the zipper catch and open up and spill all your clothes, etc.

As I stated, that's exactly why I use zip ties... to keep the zipper tabs together.

And when my bag was searched... they left me a note in my luggage.... and put my zip-tie back on since it was a quick release type. Had I used a regular zip-tie, they would not have been able to replace the tie, and then my zippers would have an opportunity to unzip.

And again... if someone wanted into your luggage... a box cutter would allow them in lickety split with all the soft sided luggage that 98% of folks use today. I think you are just fooling yourself with those TSA locks. Why would you think that a would-be thief couldn't get their hands on the master key?

Folks are totally fooling themselves if they think their luggage is secure. As I stated, at best, you can only reduce opportunity. But there is no stopping a would be thief.

And TSA locks are very pricey... at $8 each. I would need 3 per piece of luggage. It would cost $100 for 4 bags. That's more then the luggage cost.

As GoingCruisin suggested, it's best to keep you valubles in your carry-on.

We're ready to leave, just waiting for the docs.

Drove by your place Monday saw a SUV parked by the rear door. Are you still going in?

Yep that was me. I had Debbys truck. I was in there fixing some neon im going to open again in around 2 weeks. Its to cold to ride a Motorcycle, and I got around to cleaning out the garage so I could keep the snow (That never came) off my car. I need to stop driving hers, and get mine out of the garage.

Archived