Astoria Oregon - Help me to decide what to do

We were in Astoria a couple of weeks ago on the Mercury and took the shuttle to Astoria column and climbed the 164 steps to the top. There is a 360 degree view of the valley that is out-of-this-world. You can also purchase gliders at the shop at the base and sail them from the top. It was fascinating to see how far the wind would carry them into the valley.

Those 164 steps will wear you out. I am glad I did it, since the view was quite nice. My wife was smart enough to wait at the bottom for me since she knew I would take lots of pics she could look at. Some of them are in our review. She did the same thing when I climbed Chichenitza a few years ago. She is the smarter member of our team. :)

Thats a great cam.

Although I doubt if you will see a cruise ship docked close by...or at least not the big ones. The don't get under the bridge. Which is downstream about a Km.

You might just be able to pick it out under the bridge on the near shore if there is one there when you look.

• 4 weeks later...
Those 164 steps will wear you out. I am glad I did it, since the view was quite nice. My wife was smart enough to wait at the bottom for me since she knew I would take lots of pics she could look at. Some of them are in our review. She did the same thing when I climbed Chichenitza a few years ago. She is the smarter member of our team. :)

I have now climbed Chizen Nitza (sp)--ok neither of us spell it right--we call it chicken pizza..:eek: I also will climb the 164 steps--it may take awhile--but I am there so WILL do it--DH is not allowed to take pics--although this trip--he will have his own camera(an older hand off from me)--he screws up the pics--we neither one know what he does..but it gets taken WRONG..hoping our weather will be good--don't think I want to climb the Column in the rain tho:(

After seeing and walking the town and going up the hill on the shuttle we had coffee and danish in a bakery shop. My wife had her hair washed , cut and styled at the Paul Mitchell Salon for $7.95 such a deal. It was the special of the day. We then walked anound and had lunch at a diner. We spoted some crew people eating there so we knew it was a good place. It was a fun place.:)

• 4 weeks later...
Don't forget that oregon has 0% sales tax!;)

Also incase anyone doesn't know--you CAN NOT pump your own gas in OR--just incase you rent a car..all the stations have people to pump. I am not sure if this has been mentioned before or not.

Also incase anyone doesn't know--you CAN NOT pump your own gas in OR--just incase you rent a car..all the stations have people to pump. I am not sure if this has been mentioned before or not.

Good reminder - living in Washington State that always throws me off. I look around and wonder did I drive into "Full Service" pump.:rolleyes:

Archived