Astoria Oregon - Help me to decide what to do

We are doing a Pacific North West cruise and we will be in Astoria, Oregon on May 7 from 9-6. I have looked at the ship's excursions and nothing appeals to me (don't like ship excursions anyway).

Had thought about renting a car and driving down the Oregon coast to Haystack rock at Cannon Beach. Made reservations through Hertz but after reviewing my reservation, it says 100 miles free and then 25 cents per mile thereafter....never have seen that before on car rentals. So, now I'm not sure if I want to do the car rental thing as it could get quite expensive.

Any other suggestions or has anyone booked any private tours out of Astoria?

Astoria is a real Fishing town and has a tram that does the water front from the dock area to the Marintime museum. No big city stuff but lots of shops a block off the tram in the downtown district. Buses will run off the dock also.

A car rental would be a great way to see the coast and you don't have to go that far south. Seaside is farily close and is a exactly what it says a Seaside resort. The great Pacific beaches and all. There are several pull offs on the Hwy. that will also let you get to the ocean.

There will be a Market on the dock with local stuff.

We didn't take a ship tour as feel the same as you. Have been there via road a few times also.

We rented a car from Enterprise (unlimited mileage). They picked us up at the pier and shuttled us to their office. We stopped at Fort Clatsop (Lewis & Clark winter encampment), then drove down to Cannon Beach. We also drove over the bridge (into Washington) and back for some good photos of our ship.

Astoria is a small town by itself, you can browse the shops in down town, if you're fit go climb the Astoria Column, great view there. Canon Beach is about 50 miles round trip from Astoria so the 100 miles should be fine. Or, you can go visit Long Beach Peninsula in WA, closer than Canon Beach. I went to all those place last Summer, they're all nice IF the weather is good.

I took an excursion HAL offered a few years ago that went to Seaside, Haystack Rock and Cannon Beach. It was pretty reasonably priced ($35) and I enjoyed it quite a bit, though I do wish I would have had some time to explore Astoria itself.

Our cruise is stopping in Astoria on a Sunday. All the major rental car companies I've looked up are all closed on Sundays. Does anyone know of a local agency that might be open? We want to tour the coast on our own.

We are considering doing the same thing on May 3rd. It seems pretty easy to explore on our own because it is US soil, but I am waiting for NCCL to post their shore excursions before I book the car - just to make sure there isn't an excursion I really want to do.

It seems that the only 2 rental agencies in Astoria are Enterprise and Hertz. I checked them both online and Enterprise seems to be a bit cheaper than Hertz - you may want to check on the mileage rules though. I figure either way a car rental is probably cheaper than a shore excursion, as you have to pay for both people. I wanted to rent a "fun" car, like a convertible or sports car, but neither place seems to have any. Good luck - check enterprise's website for their rates.

We are considering doing the same thing on May 3rd. It seems pretty easy to explore on our own because it is US soil, but I am waiting for NCCL to post their shore excursions before I book the car - just to make sure there isn't an excursion I really want to do.

It seems that the only 2 rental agencies in Astoria are Enterprise and Hertz. I checked them both online and Enterprise seems to be a bit cheaper than Hertz - you may want to check on the mileage rules though. I figure either way a car rental is probably cheaper than a shore excursion, as you have to pay for both people. I wanted to rent a "fun" car, like a convertible or sports car, but neither place seems to have any. Good luck - check enterprise's website for their rates.

Check out the shore excursions being offered on Celebrity Mercury's itinerary departing San Francisco on April 20. www.celebrity.com. That will at least give you an idea of what tours are offered. I'd be willing to bet NCL's excurious are similar.

Thanks for all the advice. I cancelled our Hertz reservations and booked through Enterprise. Unlimited miles and they will pick us up at the ship. Another couple will be going with us so a rental car will be very cost effective.

• 2 weeks later...

We really enjoyed Astoria when we were there in 2005. You can see pictures in our Pacific NW review at www.thepreismans.com . We went before Ft. Clatsop burned down and it was included in the ship tour. There are beautiful Victorian homes on the way up to the Astoria Column, which is worth seeing. Renting a car would work real well. Have fun.

• 4 weeks later...

If you're interested in wine tasting then check out the variety of wine tasting for instance http://www.thecellaron10th.com/ and The Shallon Winery at http://www.shallon.com/winery.htm

Also, the Columbia River Maritime Museum has had some really good reviews on these boards http://www.crmm.org/

My understanding is that most things are in walking distance, so if you wanted to just have a nice walk around then you could skip on the ship's excursions.

Enjoy your time there. :o

Gordon

In Astoria, does anyone know what Enterprises uses to get to their rental office? I'm assuming it's a mini van or bus? I need to know as I have walking issues, and will be bringing a small wheelchair, but stepping UP into a bus is something I need the crutch for. I'll call them, of course, but was just wondering. Oh, and does anyone know about combining a wine tasting on the ride to Seaside, I won't be doing excursions, just easier to go it alone with DH and me and my shortcomings. ;)

Four of us would like to explore the Portland downtown a bit this time. Our Radiance of the Seas will dock at Pier 1 from 7:00 to 5:30, May 16, Wednesday. Does it take more than two hours to drive to Portland down from the Enterprise Car Rental office?

Four of us would like to explore the Portland downtown a bit this time. Our Radiance of the Seas will dock at Pier 1 from 7:00 to 5:30, May 16, Wednesday. Does it take more than two hours to drive to Portland down from the Enterprise Car Rental office?

Can't answer the part from Enterprise, but it is approxamately 90 miles one way, or a 3 1/2 to 4 hour round trip depending on traffic.

• 2 weeks later...

We were in Astoria last week aboard Celebrity Mercury. We rented w/Enterprise and drove as far south Manzanita (about 15 miles south of Cannon Beach). The guy at Enterprise suggested we drive as far as Manzanita as this is a scenic stretch of coastline scenery, which it was.

On the way back, we stopped in Cannon Beach for shopping and lunch. Very nice, clean town.

Highly recommend this day trip if your ship is stopping in Astoria.

Things to do in Astoria (a partial list):

1. Take the trolley ride along the waterfront

2. Visit Fort Clatsop

3. Visit the Maritime Museum

4. Check out the Victorian houses on the hills

5. Search for hidden treasure

6. Visit Youngs River Falls

7. Check out the Wet Dog Café/Brew Pub

8. take a movie location tour

9.Visit the Goonie house, lift your shirt and do the Truffle Shuffle! ;)

Things to do in Astoria (a partial list):

9.Visit the Goonie house, lift your shirt and do the Truffle Shuffle! ;)

Hey sharpie

We saw the house (home on the hillside) a long time ago with our kids shortly after the movie came out. We've been back twice since (once on a cruise) and couldn't find and trivia or info on the movie at all.

Any specific direction you can give me to enhance my "family remembrances" ??? (we might return again). It was a great kids movie.

We were just in Astoria, and very much enjoyed the Columbia River Martime Museum. For $5.00 you can get a bus (round trip) from the dock, or ride the trolley along the water front.

Walk back, and you can enjoy lunch at a local restaurant or just come back aboard.

The museum has some very well done exhibits about the Columbia River Bar, and local maritime history.

Gordon

Archived