Excursions St Johns NEW FOUNDLAND

CHACruiser

A walking tour of water street.Stop at a bar and meet local fisherman. You will meet the friendlyiest people in the world. Don't hesitate to talk to strangers. If you don't locals will call you "a Main Lander". Walk up ro signal hill. see the site of the first Marconi radio signal from Europe. Close to water street interesting shops.

Also good ship chandlier shops.

Have a feast of Cod tounge for lunch. Taste second to done.

A fun tour that we've taken twice is a sailing shorex on the Scademia. It includes a harbor and coastal tour past Cape Spear and a "Screech-in" ceremony. It has an outside deck and a heated inside cabin, bar and snacks.The crew is knowlegable and fun and often bring a Newfie terrier on board who barks at whales. If you do a morning tour you could still go to Cape Spear by land or stay in town. We'd do it again if we took another TA via the northern route.

GN

I've been there four times, and I love that city! The sail in/out is very pretty---be outside and you'll feel you can touch the rock on each side as you sail through.

I agree with grannynurse that the sail on the Scademia is lots of fun. And do join in the Screech-in ceremony and earn your certificate.

You can easily take a cab out to Signal Hill and Cape Spear---the easternmost point on the North American continent.

Go up to the Catholic Church and look around inside. It has several beautiful stained glass windows to admire. There are other pretty churches, too.

Getting up the hill from the dock area is a steep climb, but once there there's lots of shops to explore (I hate shopping, but enjoy it here).

The natives are very friendly and love to have you as guests.

Was the Scademia tour booked through HAL or booked when you arrived in St John's?

It was a HAL tour. I believe everyone on board was from the ship; there would be no opportunity to take it privately when the ship was in port.

Obviously you're not taking this cruise for a while. It's possible (probable) that HAL doesn't have all your excursions posted yet.

We loved St. John's. We spent our time walking around, enjoying this lovely port. I also loved the shops and bought a great "windcheater" (not sure what you call it) there.

We spent time sitting in the sun watching the fishermen and just enjoying the whole panorama. It is a lovely part of Canada.

Jennie

Archived