Celebrity Secrets they usually don't tell you about

dmarch@islc.net

Let's be clear about something here. The e-mail service that carries a fixed cost of $2 per e-mail is strictly when using your assigned onboard e-mail account, e.g. JohnTraveller@Constellation.CelebrityAtSea.com. You cannot monitor your existing home e-mail account using that.

If you are simply trying to send a few postcard-like messages home, the onboard e-mail is great. But if you are interested in monitoring your home or business e-mail, your only choice is to use the per-minute internet access and check your mail over a web connection.

Scott

Let's be clear about something here. The e-mail service that carries a fixed cost of $2 per e-mail is strictly when using your assigned onboard e-mail account, e.g. JohnTraveller@Constellation.CelebrityAtSea.com. You cannot monitor your existing home e-mail account using that.

If you are simply trying to send a few postcard-like messages home, the onboard e-mail is great. But if you are interested in monitoring your home or business e-mail, your only choice is to use the per-minute internet access and check your mail over a web connection.

Scott

Thank you for the clarification, Scott. I was never in the position of monitoring my e-mail, strictly a keep-in-touch person. :D

I've read many (but I confess not all) of these posts to see if anything here pertains specifically to the Zenith. I'm going on her in February and was wondering if anyone had any Zenith-specific tips.

I know she's older and maybe not as fancy, but hey, aren't we all?

so i think this is a great board and i hope it's still going. he's what i've learned from cruising on all RCCL owned ships.

you can have pretty much anything you want for dinner specially made for you as long as you request it in advance with the head waiter. i'm off INDO-Pakistani decent and at least once a week i need o have some sort of Indian or pakistani food. we always ask for it and for the entire cruise usually they woudl give us a verbal menu of what could be made for us the following night. in fact they went so far one cruise when i traveled with mom and aunt that thye would just bring them an indian meal (vegtarian and meat dishes) with whatever they ordered so that my mom and aunt always had a choice. when we took our honeymoon to alaska 3 years ago they always brought us a couple of indian dishes to share on the table. it was great.

I checked Verizon's website. Apparently there is cell service in all three ports of call (for me on Infinity) in Sitka, Ketchikan and Juneau Alaska. Maybe I'll be able to use my Windows Mobile e-mail and internet service. I'll update upon my return.

OK, I'm back, and still feel like I'm swaying here in my desk chair at my house. We had not-so-smooth sailing, and I got quite used to swaying from side to side. I guess my body's still conditioned to it.

Anyway, I had great cell phone service within the ports. I had no data connections though. I tried to use the onboard wireless access but couldn't connect. I didn't investigate getting a password to access. I didn't need the internet enough to pay for it.

We were on the Celebrity Constellation Baltic Capitals/St. Petersburg cruise 8/2004, and Constelation Southern Caribbean 1/2006. We had no problem composing and sending lengthy e-mails of our activities each day. We sent them to our daughter, who forwarded them to about 10 relatives and friends. The costs were very reasonable ( $1 or $ 2 per e-mail). We only received a few e-mail responses, but they were no problem either.

We had no "plan", and were just charged per e-mail. It was a great service.

Wasnt it great. I always do the same. And when my children write back they all write on the same e-mail, so i am only opening and paying for one.

I do know for the first time i like others ( as mentioned) thought the cost for internet was the cost for e-mails. $1-2/ day I can handle.

Always looked forward to them !

We sent a copy of each day's e-mail to ourselves at home so we could save them to forward to others going on the same cruise in later months or years. We did this just in case our daughter forgot to forward any to us. The extra $1 per day was "cheap insurance" to preserve our memories.

My travel agent just warned me (based on feedback from someone who just returned from a Mediterranean cruise on Celebrity) that they were encouraged to buy tickets at $6 pp before leaving the ship at several ports for bus transportation out of the pier area. (Not into town---just out of the port area) What Celebrity didn't tell them was that there were free buses run by the port authority and also taxis available. Thought you might want to know.

It would be a great service if you could find out which ports provide the FREE SHUTTLE service out of the port area, and which, if any, continue to town. It could save a lot of us a loy of money (in total), and avoid disgust at that situation.

Glad someone mentioned the waffle bar. We had heard a rumor about the Belgian waffle bar on Galaxy, but didn't find it until the second-last day. That "secret' aft area is hard to find. We loved the enclosed pool and lounge.

Another thing I discovered on Galaxy is you can get free X logo playing cards and not have to pay an arm and a leg in the gift shop. While playing bridge with some lovely ladies they mentioned asking at the purser's desk for bridge cards and getting two decks. If you don't say "bridge" they give you only one deck. I was going to ask on Jewel this summer, but forgot, so I don't know if RCI does the same thing.

1/01 Explorer E. Carib.

1/03 Explorer W. Carib.

8/03 Summit Alaska cruise/tour

2/04 Adventure S. Carib.

2/05 Galaxy Panama Canal

6/06 Jewel Brit. Isles/Nor. Fjords + 3 days in London

1/07 Mercury Mexican Riviera

Hi Everyone,

My wife and I are considering going on a Cruise this October and the Infinity Hawaii trip is one we are considering with the option of taking a Caribbean itinery.instead..

As we are from UK and do not really know anyone who has gone to either place at this time of year, I wondered whether anyone could give us a "heads up"?

Last cruise we went on was 25 years ago...

We are holding a CC and a 2a on the Infinity

Also..my wife was somewhat concerned when she read some posts reporting problems with catching bugs...Is this normal and if so, what precautions do you guys take?

Just reading the comments has been enormously helpful, but as always, when something is narrowed down to a choice of two, it gets a little more tricky, especially when we haven't been cruising for so long...although we've always wanted to...

Any help would be most appreciated.

Many thanks,

:)

Limey Lee and Lorna

Hi Everyone,

My wife and I are considering going on a Cruise this October and the Infinity Hawaii trip is one we are considering with the option of taking a Caribbean itinery.instead..

As we are from UK and do not really know anyone who has gone to either place at this time of year, I wondered whether anyone could give us a "heads up"?

Also..my wife was somewhat concerned when she read some posts reporting problems with catching bugs...Is this normal and if so, what precautions do you guys take?

Just reading the comments has been enormously helpful, but as always, when something is narrowed down to a choice of two, it gets a little more tricky, especially when we haven't been cruising for so long...although we've always wanted to...

Many thanks,

Limey Lee and Lorna

hi, i would suggest you repost this question where it might get more views. just repost it down below as a starting a new thread question. i am sure you will get allot more replys. i love the caribbean but might lean towards hawaii because of the time of year and the threat of hurricanes.

As far as the virus that can go around, all we can do is wash our hands allot and perhaps take hand sanitizer along in your wifes bag.

hope you have a wonderful cruise

nadine

Hi Everyone,

Many thanks,

Limey Lee and Lorna

Do the Hawaii ! :cool: We will be doing the Hawaii RT in October on the Infinity. This will be the 2nd year in a row, and we have already booked for next year. It is a wonderful cruise, lots of time to enjoy the ship and activities on it during the sea days or just spend time relaxing. Then the wonderful world of Hawaii and all the great things to see and do, then back to sea to relax before your journey home !

I read all the stuff people are complaining about and just can't believe any of it as we cruise with Celebrity at least twice a year and have for the past several years, after having tried many other lines. Just a thought, but there are some folks that are not happy unless they can be complaining ! I don't know were it is decreed that every thing in life will always be perfect.

Are you looking at the 10/22/06 trip ? Check out our roll call and you'll see you'll be with lots of fun folks ! :D

Haven't read about "bugs" so don't know if you mean on the ship or some locations, but have never had any problems. Bugs do exist on our planet in greater numbers than we do ! LOL

Do the Hawaii ! :cool: We will be doing the Hawaii RT in October on the Infinity. This will be the 2nd year in a row, and we have already booked for next year. It is a wonderful cruise, lots of time to enjoy the ship and activities on it during the sea days or just spend time relaxing. Then the wonderful world of Hawaii and all the great things to see and do, then back to sea to relax before your journey home !

I read all the stuff people are complaining about and just can't believe any of it as we cruise with Celebrity at least twice a year and have for the past several years, after having tried many other lines. Just a thought, but there are some folks that are not happy unless they can be complaining ! I don't know were it is decreed that every thing in life will always be perfect.

Are you looking at the 10/22/06 trip ? Check out our roll call and you'll see you'll be with lots of fun folks ! :D

Haven't read about "bugs" so don't know if you mean on the ship or some locations, but have never had any problems. Bugs do exist on our planet in greater numbers than we do ! LOL

VERY WLL SAID !!!!

Over the years i have come to these threads before a cruise and they, for me, are an addiction and a huge portion of my enjoyment for the entire trip. I absolutely understand some of the complaints but its getting to the point it has driven many of the "regulars" away and a great deal of the fun is gone.

but, i keep trying and writting and answering when i can. And it still gives me a great deal of joy. The pod problems are a difficult dissappointing problem but when i hear complaints about the food, cleanliness etc....i keep wondering if these people have really sailed on the same ship i have. I love to cook, ( i cater on the side ), my kids always tease about how anal i am as to the cleanliness of our home. I could not sail on a ship that i ever felt was unclean or the food not good. I LOVE the pampering. I am a mom of four and as soon as i enter the ship i am in heaven personified.!!!!!! I cant imagine being any other way. Well....i will stop pontificating. Have a wonderul cruise!

Nadine

Hi, this is my first post to a group like this. We have not been on the Celebrity Cruise Lines before so I'm trying to learn all we can before going. We were scheduled on the Infinity to AK for Sept until we got a call saying the ship had to go to dry dock, due to "pod problems."

So this Hawaii cruise is a second choice for us. I'm looking forward to it, except that we don't know what kind of weather to expect going over from LA to HI. Will the 4 days on the sea each way be cool or warm weather?? Any suggestions on dressing for this kind of treak?

Any ideas on this trip would be most appreciated!

Thanks, Michele

The first day or two out of California might be a bit chilly but it will warm up beautifully after that. The same goes in reverse on the way back. Light sweater will do just fine.

Have you checked in on the Summit's roll call threads ? Find your cruise and join in and you'll get all the answers you'll need and meet lots of great folks!

We are sailing on the Infinity, after drydock to Hawaii. We try to do this cruise every falll we love it so much !

Have a great trip and Aloha :):cool::)

We are booked on the 9/3/06 to Alaska on Infinity, and wondered if anyone has any more info re changes due to pod problems. My TA was unaware of any problems and is checking with X, but bet they deny any problems til we depart. Were prior cruises able to do Inside Passage? Any missed ports? Any compensations? Looks like it has been raining lots-true?

Also-how low did it take to get thru customs in Vancouver? Our flight is schedualed to arrive 11:45am-hope that is ok for 5pm sailing. Any info or advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Sherry4:)

RE: Infinity to AK... this is the ship we were supposed to take on our cruise leaving SF on Sept 13th but it was cancelled due to pod problems, we were told. I am surprised that they are still going to do the AK on the 3rd of Sept?! If it were me, I'd ask the TA to check it out before you get stuck with a less than happy experience?! Best wishes on it.

You'll sound like you have alot of fun.

We are traveling on THE CONSTELLATION 1/8/07. Hope some of you are on board.

This does sound like a fun group.

If I throw my calendar out the window, will time go by any faster? =D

Glen and Wendy

We are booked on the 9/3/06 to Alaska on Infinity, and wondered if anyone has any more info re changes due to pod problems. My TA was unaware of any problems and is checking with X, but bet they deny any problems til we depart. Were prior cruises able to do Inside Passage? Any missed ports? Any compensations? Looks like it has been raining lots-true?

Also-how low did it take to get thru customs in Vancouver? Our flight is schedualed to arrive 11:45am-hope that is ok for 5pm sailing. Any info or advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Sherry4:)

We were on the 8/13 cruise. The pod is still a minor inconvenience. Infinity is going into to drydock to correct the problem. No missed ports - No compensation required. It was a marvelous trip. Celebrity's service is always outstanding. Took the cruise with our daughters and their husbands. Couldn't have been better.

Weather was excellent. Only rained in Juneau. Customs in Vancouver was very efficient. You should have no problem getting through customs and making it to Canada Place in plenty of time. You will be able to board the ship early.

Have a wonderful time. We are already planning to go back for our 4th Alaska cruise.

Scottsdalecruiseer

Thanks for the good news, Scottsdalecruiser. My TA called X and they said there is no deviation from the destinations and they plan to do the Inside Passage. Glad to hear weather was good. Thanks for customs info.

Sherry4

Sorry if this is the wrong section but I am new to this forum.

We are booked on the Constellation on 8/4/07 for a Baltic Cruise. However on a web site I find the last posted cruise in 4/2/07 and the next is in Sep. I believe she comes out of refit on 5//19/07.

I am told our cruise is an exclusive; is it 'visible' to other cool cruisers in the US?

My Blackberry is T-Mobile, but I had service ON THE SHIP nearly the entire time. I was e-mailing night and day (when I wanted to, but leaving it behind when I didn't want to be bothered).

Drew could you possibly respond to me on any tips for that? I have a Tmo blackberry and could not get service to work on Summit in February. Granted this coming time around we have a 5 nighter, one stop being in FL so I won't be out of touch this time but it would be nice if I could get it to work next time. Another person on our cruise had Cingular and it worked perfectly for them.

Archived