"LIVE" from the Crown Princess - 02/17/2007 Sailing

San10s

Good Morning Princess Cruise Critic Folks! :D

I had planned on posting daily but time has just flown since we arrived on the lovely Crown Princess on Saturday. I also am slightly hesitant to write a daily 'live' post due to all the chat back and forth about Internet "hogging" (at 9 AM there are 14 people using one of the 27 computer stations) and people feeling that those of us who use the internet while crusing need to "get a life"! So for those of you who feel that way.....I guess you should stop reading this post and get off your computer and do something else! ;) I hope the rest of you feel free to ask any questions and enjoy reading the thread. I have always enjoyed reading any 'live' thread as that keeps me cruising vicariously while waiting for my next cruise. Okay...enough about all that and on to stuff about our cruise so far.

We had flown into San Juan on Thursday evening (arrived at 1:15 AM Friday) from Boston. It was not easy getting here after all of the airline congestion the Valentine storm had caused in the Northeast. We were still lucky enough to get here while many. many others had travel nightmares they were dealing with. Many cruisers on board also had horrible stories of their travels to get to the Crown. We were truly lucky to get here with only a dlay of a couple of hours.

We left the Holiday Inn Express and arrived at Pier #4 at 10:45 AM. We were in the first 20 in line to get on the ship. The debarkation for the previous sailing was still underway. Our luggage was taken from us and we enjoyed standing in the shade of the terminal until it was time to move inside. At about 11:20 AM, we were taken inside the terminal and stood in the line where you provide your passports, tickets, credit card and then get your cabin / sail & sign card. We were told that registration would open at noon, which it did. While waiting, I went to the Duty Free shop in the terminal, nearby where we were waiting. I purchased a couple of bottles of alcohol (Bailey's 2/$35.00 with a small bottle free) and two six packs of club soda. I was amazed how big the shop was and wish I had waited to buy my DH's 'Jack' there. I did not see any wine but there was a nice selection of champagne. The bottles were placed in my carry-on and scanned at the Security Checkpoint. (Please...don't lecture me about alcohol being brought on board.) We have since enjoyed pre-cruise cocktails in our cabin with our 14 friends we are traveling with.

We were the first ones on board and what a wonderful ship the Crown is. I felt right at home having been on the Grand and Golden. I like the new Cafe Caribe and the International Cafe (you have to try the chicken salad!). I also like that Skywalkers has been moved up over the aft elevators. This allows for plenty of sunshine on the Adult pool on Deck 14. This has become our favorite place to enjoy the daily 84 degree sunshine. I must say, I have never been in the Caribbean at this time of year (10 cruises this same week) and found the humidity so low. The weather has been incredible. The humidity has been around 65 - 70 most every day!:D

Our cabin is a mini-suite, Dolpin 732. This is our first mini on Princess and now we have a new requirement for future cruises. This cabin is the last cabin aft on the port side. It has an extended balcony that provides a ton of space....enough for two additional loungers, a table with 2 chairs and the two reclining chairs.....and there is still plenty of deck space. We have entertained a couple of nights and it has been perfect for 16 of us. Our cabin steward is Edwin and he has been terrific. The new bed linens and bath towels are wonderful...very luxurious. The bed is very comfortable and we did not need an eggcrate mattress pad. I'll write more about the cabin in a full length review after the cruise.

We sailed about a half hour late from San Juan as we were waiting for some folks to arrive from the airport. It was a lovely sail away with all the lights on shore. The ship is full of course. For a school vacation week, I am surprised there are not more kids on board. Captain Andy Proctor announced there were 440 on board. There are also 400 people on their second week on board....mostly Brits.

We are close to arriving in Bonaire....early which is nice. I have to run and get our snorkel stuff ready as we will be going on the Woodwind....something I booked after reading reviews from others here on CC.

I will find time later today or again tomorrow morning to write more about our first few ports.

Feel free to send any questions along. :)

Judy

Judy, thanks for taking the time to write a live while on your vacation.

We are doing the Crown P from New York in July, so we have different itineraries.

I have read so much about the Crown, my head will bust:D , can't think of any questions, but will enjoy whatever you have time to record.

Thanks again, enjoy your snorkelling excursion.

Hi Judy! I'm glad you all are having a great time. We were supposed to be on the Crown with you, but I had a health scare the Thursday we were supposed to leave and ended up in the hospital cardiac unit until late Saturday. All is better (thanks to new meds and good doctors), but a word to those of you who think you won't ever need insurance -- BUY IT! I'm only 44 and never expected that my arrythmia would kick in uncontrollably, but we had bought the insurance due to sick/elderly parents. I'm now in the process of filling out the paperwork, but we should be getting all our money back.

Have a pina colada for me! I've been following you via the webcams and wish we were there. Have fun!

Patty

Thanks for the live from thead, glad to hear that you're really enjoying your cruise. I can't wait to hear all about what you did in the various ports, please write all about it when you return home.

Enjoy Bonaire and the rest of your sailing and have a safe flight home!

Hi Judy! I'm glad you all are having a great time. We were supposed to be on the Crown with you, but I had a health scare the Thursday we were supposed to leave and ended up in the hospital cardiac unit until late Saturday. All is better (thanks to new meds and good doctors), but a word to those of you who think you won't ever need insurance -- BUY IT! I'm only 44 and never expected that my arrythmia would kick in uncontrollably, but we had bought the insurance due to sick/elderly parents. I'm now in the process of filling out the paperwork, but we should be getting all our money back.

Have a pina colada for me! I've been following you via the webcams and wish we were there. Have fun!

Patty

Patty, I'm so sorry to hear about your health issues and that you missed your cruise. I hope you're feeling better and that everything is okay.

Patty, I'm so sorry to hear about your health issues and that you missed your cruise. I hope you're feeling better and that everything is okay.

Carolyn,

Thanks for your kind words. The hardest thing my husband had to do was pick the kids up from school that Thursday when they thought they were headed to the airport and tell them that no, the cruise was cancelled and their mom was in the hospital. The kids have been great this week letting me rest; they know what's important and that we'll go on another cruise some day.

Patty

First - Patty....I guess that is a good reason for missing the CC get-together on Saturday night! OMG! How horrible you had to miss the ship but how wonderful that you received great care and are doing better! I guess these type of things happen all the time. We went on the Woodwind Sail & Snorkel excursion today (more about it later......but it was a great time) and I looked for Mr. Bill...the one who started the Roll Call thread. I had met him Saturday at our meet & greet. He wasn't there but his friends were. I asked for him and they said he got a call on Sunday / St Thomas (first day) when he arrived back on the ship. His mom passed away and he and the family left the ship on Monday / St Kitts to fly back to NY. I, along with the rest of the CC folks send out our condolences to Bill and his family. So like you Patty, insurance can come in to play when you least expect it to. :( I hope your recovery from your medical incident continues with speed and without any issues!:D

Second - What a great island / port Bonaire is! We booked the Woodwind after many people reported their experiences on the Ports board. Ulf & Dee did a fabulous job getting us out to Klein Bonaire and then doing a drift snorkel. I've snorkeled in many ports but I must say that there were more fish of so many varities then I've ever seen.:eek:

Well, we are off to dinner (anytime) and then to the magician / comic later.

Judy

Thanks Judy for the live review, can't want to hear more!

We have the same cabin for an August cruise, I'll so glad you like it. Is it a tight squeeze w/ the queen configuration?

Also, if you get a chance and the door is open, can you take a peek into D734, it is the aft balcony near you. Our daughter has that and is concerned about any noise from the HVAC unhnit next to her.

Keep enjoying your vacation and I hope your weather stays wonderful!

Hello:)

Glad to hear you're enjoying the Crown, we'll be sailing on it in April doing the same itinerary. We are also booked at the Holiday Inn Express and I was wondering what your impressions were of the hotel. Looked alright online when we booked but it's always nice to hear from people who have stayed there.

Thanks.

Judy,

Thanks for the posts, I will follow through out your trip. I am set to travel on the Crown Princess in August, when traveling through the Piaza, Fiesta, Promenade decks, how are all the clubs and public areas are linked together?

AND can you walk from one end of the ship to the other on the top decks?

ALSO can you take some good pictures of the wheelhouse and skywalkers nightclub? Reason being, my sister is having her inport wedding in one of those lounges and the pictures online aren't that detailed.

My email is play21cw@yahoo.com.

I would really appreciate it!!!

Thanks & enjoy the rest of your trip :)

We will be on the Crown in April. I have a question about the Woodwind. I'm looking forward to the snorkeling, but my friend is not that excited about it. Did you have any folks on the Woodwind that were just along for the ride and maybe some swimming? If so, did they still enjoy it? How many folks were on the Woodwind? Also, did you have time after the tour to do some shopping or exploring in the port?

I cannot wait for our cruise! Enjoy, I know it goes by so fast!!!

I sat down to ask a Crown question and voila! saw the live post from you! Thanks so much. I love reading live posts and really appreciate those who take the time to do this! So sorry for the person who missed the cruise but glad she is doing well and our condolences to the famly who had to leave the ship. Insurance - a definite necessity!

My question/concern: We have booked a balcony (C753) on the Crown for a New England/Canada cruise in the fall. It is at the very back of the ship. Never have had an aft cabin before, and we have never cruised on the Crown. Wondering if this cabin has a covered balcony? If you can tell me anything about this cabin it would really be appreciated. Thanks so much, have a wonderful cruise, and we'll look forward to more of your posting.

Will someone PLEASE!!! Tell me whether or not Cell Phone Service is AVAILABLE on the CROWN PRINCESS???

I know that MANY Princess loyals are against the use of Cell Phones at sea...but found it very convenient on RCCL.

I would appreciate if I could get a DEFINITIVE ANSWER one way or the other...we will be leaving on the Crown in 3 weeks

Thanks!

Archived