Things to do in Ft Lauderdale(precruise)

jdlewis

:confused: We have just booked our air to FtLauderdale and will have two days to sight see before boarding. March 11 and 12. Any "must see" suggestions. We have never been to Florida before.:p

The beach is wonderful. There's a great Polynesian restaurant there with fun food, drinks, and a show. i think it's called Mai Tai or something like that but can't really remember. Your hotel conceirge will know and maybe someone else can help.

There is a water taxi that goes up and down the intercoastal waterway stopping at many hotels, restaurants, and the beach. It's fun to do but takes a while so use a regular cab if you're in a hurray.

Do you like baseball? The Baltimore Orioles do their spring training there and you can check their website to see if there will be any games while you're in town.

We loved Ft Lauderdale so much on our pre-cruise stay that we're thinking about going there for a week this March instead of a cruise!

FtLauderdale ... two days to sight see before boarding. Any "must see" suggestions. We have never been to Florida before...

BONNET HOUSE is a mansion on 35 acres on the beach. A millionaire came to Ft Lauderdale in the 1920's and built a house from his own design. He was an artist as were his wives. His 3rd wife died in the last 10 years (she was over 100 years old) and gave the estate to the State of Florida. The house still has the furnishings, dishes, artwork just as they lived in it. The tour tells their story and shows movies of their life. A jitney will take you around the grounds any you may glimpse birds, fish and monkeys.

It is a wonderful, relaxing glimpse of the way things were in the Old Florida.

You can get there by car, taxi, county bus, and even Water Taxi.

When you arrive at the airport, get a BROWARD COUNTY MAP from one of the "Airport Ambassadors" near the baggage claim areas.

Bonnet House is near the intersection of SUNRISE BOULEVARD and the Atlantic Ocean.

We love just to walk the beach, shop and enjoy lunch/dinner at the outdoor cafe's.

Last December we visited Sawgrass Mall on the tail end of our cruise. Wow, what a place! We could only get through about 1/4 of the mall before we were pooped. It was expensive to get out there by cab from the beach area (about $40.00 each way) so this year when we go we're renting a convertible and doing the mall in style.

Can't wait.

We did a cruise from Ft. Lauderdale several years ago. We came in the afternoon before and were pretty much stuck at an airport hotel. We talked to the bellman and he recomended an Everglades tour for the next morning.

We had very personable van driver pick us up at the hotel, and after picking up another couple at another hotel we headed east to the Everglades.

We had a great time, the tour included a ride in an air powered boat through the swamp. We stopped to feed an aligator in the wild. After the boat ride there was an aligator wrestling exhibition. The place was kind of tacky and neither us or the other couple were interested in the wrestling, so we asked the driver to take us back.

It was a great way to spend the morning. It took our minds off wanting to get on the ship.

I wish I could remember the tour operator's name

Have a great time!

You must take the Water Taxi it's a great way to see Fort Lauderdale and to see how the rich and infamous live. We were there for 2 days and used it both days. Sometimes the cabbies will give you a great narrative on the homes you are passing.

Hi

Neither of us can remember the price -- it was 7 or 8 years ago

We're value oriented (cheap) --- so it couldn't have been too much or we wouldn't have done it!

We highly recommend it if you've never seen it --- we're from Southern California -- no swamps or aligators here!

Someone posted you needed a car to get to Sawgrass Mills. As I look at the Broward county Transit system Map (public bus system in Fort Lauderdale) It appears to me that you could take a bus from downtown FL out to Sawgrass mills. Certainly a much less expensive option. Map can be viewed at

http://www.co.broward.fl.us/bct/welcome.htm Click on "System Map" After the map downloads you can blow it up so you can read all the route numbers. It appears that bus #22 from the central terminal would get you there...but there might be a quicker/better way. Ask locally. Anyone from Fort Lauderdale want to add their opinions on whether this is a good idea. We might try it on our 3 day FL precruise stay. We are also planning to buy a pass ($2.50 for an adult all day pass) and tour Fort Lauderdale on the bus. There are several routes that might be scenic. You can also find a list of attractions and how to get to them by bus on the site

http://www.broward.org/bct/attrac.htm

And finally if you want info on Sawgrass Mills go to

http://www.sawgrassmillsmall.com/static/node913.jsp

I lived in Ft. Lauderdale a long time and if you like shopping Sawgrass Mills is the place to go. However, there are many parts of Ft. Lauderdale that aren't the safest places to be (and that's an understatement). I don't know if I'd ride the bus - why not rent a cheap car for the day? Don't know if it's still there, but if you're looking for a great flea market kind of place, the Swap Shop on Sunrise Blvd. can't be beat. It's tacky but lots of fun -

Thanks again everyone,

The water taxi sounds great and the malls, flea markets etc as well. I'm not sure that two oakies from Revelstokie would be brave enough to head out on the bus system. But renting a car sounds ok. Now I'm wondering if we should have booked three precruise days???

We had recommened to us a restaurant called Max's on the beach or beach place that was excellent. Great view of the ocean and ships sailing away, food was fantastic and generous happy hour program. We were very pleased and had the most knowledgable waiter ever. Overall a great experience

Randy

Hi:) I 2nd the nomination for the Water Taxi....its really nice.......there are plenty of stops.......you can get off at Las Olas....and I would highly recommend walking along the Blvd....(Las Olas Blvd)....lots of neat shops and restaurants....

Lori...I remember the SwapShop:eek: ...I lived down that way back in the late 80s....what a funky flea market LOL

I can't believe more people don't know about the Swap Shop. If it's still there it's worth a trip - where else can you get every knock-off purse, watch, sunglasses or clothing known to man AND see a circus at the same time!

We really enjoy the Jungle Queen Cruise http://www.junglequeen.com/

and the everglades tour was a lot of fun. http://www.evergladestours.com

both are reasonably priced.

Sawgrass Mills is a must as well. http://www.sawgrassmills.com/static/node784.jsp;jsessionid=aplC5ocm7PU_

Weston (West Ft Laurderdale) has several golf courses.

We always rent a car when we stay in Ft Laurderdale. There is so much to see & it is very easy to get around.

and then there is Key West... only about 4 hours down the road...

there is so much in that area I could go on & on & on & on......

We really like Ft. lauderdale, and always stay pre or post cruise!

I definitely agree with Sawgrass Mills!

Going to the beach and the promenade and shops is good!

Lauderdale by the Sea is a cute town, nice little shops, and a good beach.

Flamingo Gardens was nice to see.

The last touristy thing we did there, just last fall, was Butterfly Gardens! I avoided it, until we ran out of anything new to do, then loved it! If you like photography, I got my prettiest, most colorful pics there!

Rent a car, it's worth it!

Thanks again guys. What a great bunch of ideas. Which is the best(Price) and ?most reliable company to rent a car from ? Is it better to have the car waiting at the airport for you or pick it up from the hotel?

Janette and Bob

Boy, what a great bunch of ideas. I am a 58 year old who is active and will give my ideas to you for what they are worth. I live in Boca Raton and work in Fort Lauderdale area. Enterprise Rent-a-Car always did a good deal with me. I think they would pick you up at hotel/pier and take you to their location to pick-up the car.

If you like the water taxi idea, I can spice it up alittle. You can actually go on a cigarette race boat for about 1 hour and it will take you through the canals to see the big "Ft. Laud." homes and then will take you out in the ocean and put the "pedal to the metal." this is fun - depending how many go on a trip it is between $35 -45 per person. More than the water taxi, but more fun too. If interested the name and number is Speedboat Adventures, 1-954-779-7660. Ask for Robert.

If you have never been to an outlet mall and have the time, go to Sawgrass Mills as it is huge. But they really don't have many real bargains unless you are into shoes. They have shoe stores galore!

The polynesian restaurant that does the show is called the Mai Kai and is on Federal Highway(US 1) just north of Oakland Park Blvd.-about a 20 minute ride from the port area. Again, if you have never been to Hawaii, WDW, or DisneyLand, it is fun. But I will tell you now, it is expensive.

Yes, I do not believe you should rely on or use the bus system. Not very good;

If you are staying near the port at a hotel on 17th street causeway area and are in decent physical shape, you can walk to the Fort Lauderdale beach area and hit the southern most part in about 10-15 minutes at the most. It is a nice area and thing to do.

If you are into big flea market type things, the Sunrise Flea Market is one of the biggest. It also has the free circus. But make sure of your directions before driving there. You don't want to get lost in the area. Easiest way to get there is to go east on 17th street from the port to Federal Highway(US 1); then go north on US 1 to Sunrise Blvd. Then go West on Sunrise Blvd. and keep going west, past I-95, and about 1-2 miles you will see the Flea Market.

Mark's Place in Fort Lauderdale is a very nice place to eat and the food is delicious. Was friends with Mark Millitano, the chef/owner, back when he was the soup chef at a restaurant on Commercial Blvd. He is fantastic.

15th Street Fisheries near the port is not my favoritest place to eat, but it is fine. It is fun to sit out on the porch area and look around the marina area; It would be especially fun if you come from the interior of the US and not near the ocean much if ever.

Any other questions, please feel free to ask away!

PoohUnderstands

re: renting a car ...

Priceline is now in the car-rental business and dealing only with the five biggest agencies ... I didn't realize this till just before a recent non-cruise trip, and I got some great deals ...

re: FLL sightseeing ...

we have in the past booked our flights home late in the day to avoid the crazy airport crunch of people just off the ships; we take a shuttle bus to the rent-a-car place and tool around from there. Simply driving up or down the coastal highway nets you some great sights (and beach stops). Last time we drove down to Miami, since we hadn't seen that city before. Time before that, we drove north, and stumbled onto a great little nature preserve whose name COMPLETELY escapes me now, but it's right off the highway ... from that highway you can see lots of the fancy houses (and their boats) too ...

TR

looking forward to more FLL sightseeing (and a pre-day at Disney World!) in connection with Millennium 12/12/04

Poohunderstands:

Thanks for the details, if I think of any more questions I won't hesitate to ask.

dosi:

What a nice thing to say. I love our home in the mountains as well. Ain't no place purdier!!;)

Janette and Bob

Archived