Poll: Do you take your kid's out of school...

Bahamma mamma

Just noticed that this thread is almost as long as the ones about F deck -- just wondering if the kids that get pulled out of school go up there. Only kidding folks....no need to respond. Lighten up everyone :) Enjoy your cruise.

In short, Funding for California public schools comes from the state, local property taxes, the federal government, the California State Lottery, and local miscellaneous sources such as lease income, interest, and donations.

So you're saying schools lose their portion of "local property taxes, the federal government, the California State Lottery, and local miscellaneous sources such as lease income, interest, and donations" when a child is not in school? Please provide evidence. It's my understanding they lose the states contibutions for absences, however, if you put them on "independent study" for the week they are gone, they still receive their funds.

Also, local property tax was taken by the state many years ago and "refunded" back to the districts they came from for education

So you're saying schools lose their portion of "local property taxes, the federal government, the California State Lottery, and local miscellaneous sources such as lease income, interest, and donations" when a child is not in school?

Absolutely, I am. The schools receive money based on daily attendance, not on annual allotment or enrollment.

Here is an example of how absenses can screw the school out of money:

http://www.svcn.com/archives/campbellreporter/05.23.01/revenue-0121.html

Absolutely, I am. The schools receive money based on daily attendance, not on annual allotment.

Here is an example of how absenses can screw the school out of money:

http://www.svcn.com/archives/campbellreporter/05.23.01/revenue-0121.html

Your article is almost 6 years old. And, it ONLY addresses state monies, not all the other sources of income you claim would be lost.

Last, why didn't you address "independant study", which directly pertains to the issue here...that of taking your child out for a week. That alone makes your entire point of schools losing funding moot.

Payment based on daily attendance in California has been around for over 40 decades. It is not going to change.

I provided you an example... that's all you are going to get. You can research it further in your attempt to prove me wrong to no avail... and I do mean to no avail.

Yes, school districs have all kinds of programs, including independant study for the kids can't complete school in a normal social setting for one reason or another. And yes, they do attend school daily for independant study. They do take attendance. They just don't have the structured accidemics that they teach in the core schools. The program stuctures an independant study that keeps a child in school so that they at least continue to learn and have a chance to graduate.

Sounds like you are one of those self centered people who really doesn't care about the school funding issues... you will always find a way around the rules... at least in your own mind.

Payment based on daily attendance in California has been around for over 40 decades. It is not going to change.

Wow, I wasn't aware California was over 400 years old.

Sounds like you are one of those self centered people who really doesn't care about the school funding issues... you will always find a way around the rules... at least in your own mind.

Hmmm, well you sound like one of those who deems his opinions more important than others.

Yes, school districs have all kinds of programs, including independant study for the kids can't complete school in a normal social setting for one reason or another.

Actually, it's not the district, its the STATE. Why does the state pay for students to be on Independent Study?

I provided you an example... that's all you are going to get. You can research it further in your attempt to prove me wrong to no avail... and I do mean to no avail.

Ok, if you insist. It didn't take long to prove you wrong.

Absences for most other reasons are considered unexcused, even if the parent notifies the school. For some allowed absences, the parent/guardian must request the absence in advance in writing, and it must be approved by the principal. Whether the absence is excused or unexcused, the state only provides daily funding if a student is actually at school or on Independent Study.

Independent Study

If a child will be out of school for five or more days for an unexcused reason (e.g., personal necessity), parents may contact the school two weeks in advance, about arranging Independent Study. While schools accommodate most requests, certain criteria may lead to the school denying the request, including: less than two weeks advance notice, academic, attendance or behavioral concerns, conflict with testing or lack of resources to provide the service. Independent Study days are not considered absences.

So, tell me again how taking your kids on vacation denies schools their funding or is "breaking the rules"? That was your point wasn't it, or were you just giving YOUR OPINION? :p

:d ;) :d

Well Stuart, or is it Steward? You are wrong, funding back to the school district from the state is based on daily attendance. So much money per student per day and independent study students are expected to attend school every day, just not in a traditional classroom setting.

If a student misses school, the school district loses funding for that day for that student. So, you owe ventureman an apology.

Well Stuart, or is it Steward? You are wrong, funding back to the school district from the state is based on daily attendance. So much money per student per day and independent study students are expected to attend school every day, just not in a traditional classroom setting.

If a student misses school, the school district loses funding for that day for that student. So, you owe ventureman an apology.

Actually, I don't. I am correct and it is in the California Dept of Education guidelines. It specifically addresses funding for the student under these circumstances. Those on it COUNT towards the ADA calculations.

And NO, it does not have to be in the school, it must be at least equal in quality and quantity to that offered in the classroom and the program must be OVERSEEN by the educators.

Not all districts offer it, it is up to the district, but it is authorized by the state.

If anything, Venture owes me an apology for incorrectly stating that I am "one of those self centered people who really doesn't care about the school funding issues". It is untrue. Rather than blather on with opinions on it, I actually read the guidelines set forth by the state.

By the way, I'm almost certain that cruising would not be considered part of an independent study program in any state.

And you would be incorrect in your assumption. Nothing wrong with that.

Taking the cruise is the REASON you get on the program for the week. It's not part of the program, its the reason you're child gets on it for the period you're away.

:D

I was just wondering how many people actually take their kid's out of school to get the cheaper rates. If you do, how do their teachers react?

We don't take the little one out of school to save $$ on the rates... instead we use the $$ saved and buy his grandmother a plane ticket to come stay with him so WE can go have fun! LOL

To the OP, just make sure you check you school's policy on unexcused absences. In our district it up to the teacher whether or not they want to provide the work the child will miss during an unexcused absence. If the teacher doesn't want to give it the child will get zeros on everything missed. Also, if you have more than three unexcused absences in a year you may get a visit from the truant officer and there is a possibility of legal action. I did take my children out when they were in elementary school (and prior to No Child Left Behind and the current policy) and they did fine. Even if I could take the out now, I wouldn't as they are in middle school and high school and have block scheduling. Missing a week of school would be more like missing two weeks which would put them too far behind.

Actually... it's not the parent's right to pull a child out of school. There are laws to prevent Parents from interfering with their children's education. Getting an education is a right the child has been given by the Government... not a right that a parent has given the child.
Thank you for this stellar reminder of why I am keeping my children FAR away from compulsory schooling... the last thing this world needs is another mind-numbed hamster on a wheel.

Under no circumstances should the term "education" be confused with compulsory schooling. Contrary to the opinion advanced here, it is very much a parent's right to not only pull a child out of school, but to decline to send said child to school in the first place. There are laws to prevent "the Government" from interfering in the education of the child, for which the responsibility lies, as it should, with the PARENTS (and, of course, the child himself). Most parents *choose* to enlist the assistance of some type of school (public/private/vocational) in this endeavor; however, these institutions are in no way NECESSARY (nor, some would argue, sufficient) for the educating of a child.

I will travel with my children whenever I, as their parent, see fit. Were I to place them in school I would do my best not to place undue hardship on their teacher with my plans, but under NO circumstance would I allow the teacher, school, district, or state to dictate when my family travels. I do what I think is best for my kids, period.

And there are those... that choose to include cruising 101 as part of their home-school curriculum...:rolleyes:
Oh, right... because it doesn't count as "learning" if you don't read it out of a dusty textbook. Actually traversing the Panama Canal is in no way more educational than being able to regurgitate the handful of dates and facts some textbook author might have deemed important enough to include. Mmm-hmm. Got it.

Actually, I think Cruising 101 would be a phenomenal homeschooling unit study. My kids are too young now, but come the later years I can think of *dozens* of outside-the-box learning opportunities in such a unit study. Hmmmm...

Absences for most other reasons are considered unexcused, even if the parent notifies the school. For some allowed absences, the parent/guardian must request the absence in advance in writing, and it must be approved by the principal.

Independent Study

If a child will be out of school for five or more days for an unexcused reason (e.g., personal necessity)...

Pfffffffffftttttttttt...... :rolleyes:

There is no way a principal is going to consider going on a cruise to be a personal necessity or an allowed absence or an absence of necessity... the result being that the child will not qualify for independent study.

And who is BSing who...? Parents don't sign their kids up for independant study when they yank them out of school for a cruise. You can't be serious.

I'm sure there are parents that try to cover up the absense with a lie... or try to obtain independent study with a lie... thus teaching the kids to lie. And if the kid doesn't lie, the teacher's will find out because they overhear kids talk and that big exciting cruise is surely too much and too juicy and too exciting for a kid not to say something about it to someone.

Bottom line is, California schools lose a bundle for unexcused absenses. Some have been known to lose over $20,000 in one day for unexcused absenses... :cool:

Pfffffffffftttttttttt...... :rolleyes:

Pfffffffffftttttttttt? Is that an actual argument to support your misguided position?

There is no way a principal is going to consider going on a cruise to be a personal necessity or an allowed absence or an absence of necessity... the result being that the child will not qualify for independent study.

Umm, WRONG AGAIN Venture. Once again posting opinion NOT FACT!!!

I did it for our 2004 cruise. Both DD & DS. I notified each of their schools (2 different districts as one is HS, other grammer school) EXACTLY what we were doing and where we were going. They were put on Independant Study. What part of "unexcused absence" in my posted quote did you not understand? Don't believe me, call a few schools and find out. As I stated, the district is not REQUIRED to offer it. It is up to each districts board to decide if it is available.

And who is BSing who...? Parents don't sign their kids up for independant study when they yank them out of school for a cruise. You can't be serious.

See my reply above. :rolleyes:

I'm sure there are parents that try to cover up the absense with a lie... or try to obtain independent study with a lie... thus teaching the kids to lie. And if the kid doesn't lie, the teacher's will find out because they overhear kids talk and that big exciting cruise is surely too much and too juicy and too exciting for a kid not to say something about it to someone.

I am sure there are as well. I am simply stating FACTS, not uninformed OPINIONS.

Venture, you asked me to research it and prove you wrong ("to no avail" it would be). I have supplied FACTS, you keep sticking to your opinions.

Whateve makes you feel superior I guess. Ignorance is bliss. :rolleyes: :p

We took our 2 daughters, age 16 out of school for 2 1/2 weeks for a Med Cruise last year. (This large amount of time was a one off for us)

I spoke with the teachers months before they left and they took homework with them on the trip. The teachers were very excited for the girls and supported their adventure to 4 different countries on their cruise.

They learned more about history and geography in that trip than they ever could have learned from a book.

This year they are learning about Pompeii at school, it was great that my daughters could share photographs,film from the Camcorder and their personal experiences with their peers.

I will take them out of school for 1 week later this year for another cruise. I make sure that it's not a time close to exam times etc. They are honour roll students each year and they have been able to catch up with no problem.

I suppose I feel comfortable doing this because they are good students, they were not negatively affected by time missed from school for the long Med trip and they will have fabulous memories :)

My husband is a teacher and he is taking 5 days off in May for our cruise because we like cruising before the busy season starts. I am working on having my first child, and I must say, that he or she will probably be a platinum cruiser by age 10. Most of the cruises we will have to pull he/she out of school for, because it is so much better to cruise when school is in.

Don't believe me,

I am simply stating FACTS, not uninformed OPINIONS.

No... I don't believe you.

Yes, you are only stating opinion here. You have not stated FACT... You word that you received independant study is pure hearsay, and not FACT.

To use your words... prove it... lets see something substantial to prove this indeed happened... :rolleyes:

My daughter and 3 nieces are leaving school for our cruise. They rarely ever miss school, so we are going for it. I am formerly a school teacher and now an educational sign language interpreter, and it all depends, in my opinion, on how the family handles it. (I think I have seen it all, pretty much!) It can be done very successfully with no adverse effect on the kids. I can't imagine that the kids in my family will need therapy because they missed 5 days of Kindy, 3rd, 4th and 5th grades. Hehe. :eek:

No... I don't believe you.

Yes, you are only stating opinion here. You have not stated FACT... You word that you received independant study is pure hearsay, and not FACT.

To use your words... prove it... lets see something substantial to prove this indeed happened... :rolleyes:

Actually, "prove it" were your words venture a few posts back, not mine. I have posted the facts on the independent study you requested, you have posted nothing to refute it but your normal unsupported opinions. It IS available for "unexcused absence". I would think a vacation would be about as "unexcused" as you can get.

You started all this chastizing others for taking vacations and supporting your position with your "schools lose money if you take them out for vacation" argument. I showed you how this is not correct if done correctly and within the rules of the system. I have refuted you at every turn. Just because you either refuse to comprehend the facts or cannot get past your ego long enough to admit you're wrong doesn't make the facts any less true.

So Venture, you have 2 options. 1. Continue to play the fool and stick to your guns or... 2. Prove me wrong. Show me some documentation from the California Dept Of Education that supports your position. I backed my position, now back yours.

From your history, I already know which choice you'll make. You love "being right" regardless of the facts, so I am quite certain you won't want to actually investigate and have to admit to yourself you were "mistaken".

Have a nice day!! :)

And of course there was one who was pulling her child out for 6 weeks... so that's 30 days... so that's 17% of the school year. I don't think a week is going to make or break a child that can handle it (high school though, would be tough), but 6 weeks, I don't care how bright your child is, it's going to be tough... in MANY school systems, the child would have to make up the year by going to summer school or repeating the grade... regardless of how their grades were... believe me, it nearly happened to me, but I wasn't off on vacation...

I can tell you that in our school district a student can be "absent-failed" for missing more than 10% of the school days regardless of how brilliant they are. With only 90 days of school in each semester, students are required to be in attendance for no less than 81 days each semester or risk being failed. For a High School student, that can turn out to be a disaster if they receive zero credit for the semester. It will also have a major affect on their GPA. Everyone needs to make a decision that is right for their child, but should also find out any and all consequences that may occur. If the parent and child are fully aware of their particular situation and feel that the vacation is well worth any loss in grades, have a great vacation.

Archived