Oh to the balcony...am I nuts

cincicruisers

Since the first time I booked a balcony several cruises ago, I couldn't imagine going back to an oceanview, much less an inside. LOL. I love sitting on the balcony and just communing with nature. There is just something so peaceful and meditative about the entire experience. It's a small indulgence, well actually a big indulgence. But in my book, its worth every extra penny if you can swing it. Although to be honest, cruising is my favorite vacation, so just being on the ship is great.

I would love a balcony, but like some others here would rather cruise more. I do however, want an outside cabin, so I just book an outside guarantee. I have a 6E category reservation on the Carnival Victory for 9/3. If I get upgraded, that's fine, if not, that's ok too.

Deb1113, I see you sailed on the Golden Princess recently. I know this is a little OT, but I was wondering how she is holding up. I sailed on her about five years ago and it is my favorite ship, even now . . . about three cruises later. I'm thinking of sailing on the Crown Princess next year and I think its the same class. Just curious. :)

I am determined to cruise this year (it's about time don't you think? LOL) and while I've always been pleased with my inside cabins I'm toying with the idea of a mini suite with a balcony. There is the off chance that someone might be cruising with me this time and that would help offset the expense so.......

I've read all the input with great interest. Thanks for all of your responses to the OP.

Deb1113, I see you sailed on the Golden Princess recently. I know this is a little OT, but I was wondering how she is holding up. I sailed on her about five years ago and it is my favorite ship, even now . . . about three cruises later. I'm thinking of sailing on the Crown Princess next year and I think its the same class. Just curious. :)

NowVoyager - the Golden is a beautiful ship. I would not hesitate to sail on that ship again.

So far I have only done one solo cruise and although my next one is with friends I will still have my own stateroom........and it will NOT be without a balcony. I don't think even if I travel solo that I can go back to the inside or just the ocean view. I don't have the big bucks by any means but I have to agree its at least the one perk I can have if I am going solo.

• 2 weeks later...

You are not nuts. If you are, I am too. Going on my first 7 night cruise in two weeks (been on 3 and 4 nighters solo) simply because I jumped on a Happy Hour about two weeks ago sailing on Adventure with a superior balcony. I couldn't believe the price so I grabbed it with my husband's blessings. Can't wait to enjoy my morning coffee just chillin'. I am a 60 y/o grandmother of 5 and ain't dead yet so why not enjoy it? Going solo by no means is lonely. How can it be with 2,000 others onboard? You can mingle or be a snob at your discretion. Got to go...packing to do!

I had my first balcony on my last cruise, I was charge 200 per cent. I wanted to know what is was like. I was on the westerdam. i really like it.

but it cost too much. unfortunely it will be my last time.bnack to the outside stateroom on my next one on the maasdam in nov.they are chargeing me 130 per cent.

• 4 weeks later...

All of this balcony talk is getting me thinking. I have a 1a booked on Carnival, and still need to make a $370 final payment. I just checked AAA, and a balcony GTY looks like another $200 (probably plus a bit more single supplement). Boy it's tempting :rolleyes:

I'm back from my cruise with a balcony and I must admit it was very nice. BUT...I would not go to the expense again unless it was a very good deal as it was this time. Just as long as my cabin has a window I would be happy. It was wonderful hearing the waves as we cruised, but I would be just as happy w/o it. I got a look at the inside rooms on AOS and they seemed to be fairly large on the 9th deck. Might give one of those a try for a 3 nighter sometime.

Hi Patty, welcome back and glad you had a good time:)

The only time I have ever had a balcony was when it

was on special. Out of 15 cruises I have had a balcony

3 times. Twice on great deal and once I shared a cabin.

Everything else was either inside or window.

I know we are all different and that is what makes the

world go round;). Those who want or must have a balcony

can do so while those of us who don't need one can also

cruise.

Lots of choices for all of us! It is a good thing:D

This is also my first cruise and I booked a balcony. I am of the mind set that if you are going to do it......do it right. This is my first cruise and I am so looking forward to the relaxation that a balcony room can offer. Sure, it was expensive, but I budgeted for it and plan on doing atleast 2 per year if this cruise is half of what I expect. But that is just me.

Have fun and enjoy that ocean breeze.

Dear balcony cruisers:

I just want to say "thank you" for choosing a balcony when you cruise. After all, you are paying a lot more per square foot of cabin than I am. And since you pay more for the same dining room, swimming pool, shows, exercise room and other common amenities, in effect, you are subsidizing my vacation. So, again, thank you. Without your support, I would no doubt have to pay more! :cool:

Paul

Did you never stop to think that maybe it's all of you "on the inside" who are subsidizing all of us balcony types? :confused: Without you picking up the slack, we'd have to pay a lot more for our balconies! :eek: Been there/done that/don't have to (don't want to) do it no more! :p

All of this balcony talk is getting me thinking. I have a 1a booked on Carnival, and still need to make a $370 final payment. I just checked AAA, and a balcony GTY looks like another $200 (probably plus a bit more single supplement). Boy it's tempting :rolleyes:

Forgive me if you've stated it before. Is this your 1st solo cruise?

If so, for a few hundred, seriously consider booking the balcony guarantee. I believe this will best ensure that this cruise is a splendid experience.

You'll either find you thoroughly enjoyed a bit of quiet time each day on the balcony........OR you may find you just couldn't sit still in your room for a minute, except to sleep. Either way, you'll easily find folks to chat with, make friends either at dinner, on excursions, etc.

But, you'll know for sure what's really important to pay for for the next cruise? JMHO

the cost can be so overwhelming, especially as a solo traveler. I too hope one day to do a balcony. However, I think that I will continue to do more reasonable inside categories while I explore cruising to find both the ship and the itinerary that I can use as a "special" treat. I want at least a 10 day preferably 14 days with a goodly amount of sea days to enjoy the balcony but NOT all sea days. I have been fairly lucky on my two trips in that I have always found one spot on the ship that isn't visited very often so that I can read, relax, or have a glass of wine (yes I have had to bring it with me), and still see and hear the ocean. So to all of you with the balcony, congratulations and keep us updated...sometimes we have to live through your eyes and to those of us with the inside...at least we are cruising!;)

• 4 weeks later...

I had my first balcony on AOS and I'm not so sure I would want one going solo or need one. As long as I can see out a window, I'm fine. When traveling solo, I generally get my coffee in the a.m. for room service with a pastry or two and there is a large windowsill in most rooms. I just sit there drinking my coffee and gazing out at the beautiful ocean. A balcony really isn't needed, although it was great for late night resting and "chillin'".

I had my first balcony on AOS and I'm not so sure I would want one going solo or need one. As long as I can see out a window, I'm fine. When traveling solo, I generally get my coffee in the a.m. for room service with a pastry or two and there is a large windowsill in most rooms. I just sit there drinking my coffee and gazing out at the beautiful ocean. A balcony really isn't needed, although it was great for late night resting and "chillin'".

I guess it depends which ship you're on, or which room you have. Most of the ships I've seen, the ocean view rooms contain a port hole. Some bigger than others, but for the most part, all you can do is use it for light. To see outside you need to be standing and peering out of it. If you can find a ship that has a room with a window big enough to sit down to see out of, then it might be a viable option--just do some research first to see what type of window you will be getting.

Me, I'd still prefer the cool/warm breeze of a balcony that you just won't get with a window (and going up on deck in your undies isn't an option either :D )

I'm new to cruising and for my first cruise I got a balcony (life time dream). I now find myself anxiously awaiting my next one. I don't think I could go every year gets to routine but every other year it's worth the $$ for the balcony. :)

Archived