Oh to the balcony...am I nuts

cincicruisers

I keep booking solo cruises, but with the balcony. I love spending time there enjoying a glass of wine and reading or in the heat of the day to just relax.

I spent the last hour looking at all the bargains for inside rooms and yet I have another balcony room booked just for me. Should I rethink the decision. Any thoughts from solo women travelers on this?

I have tried the all inclusive places solo and it is just not fun alone. Cruising allows me to mingle when I want to and be alone when I want to.

I had a balcony once on a cruise (I lucked out and got an upgrade :D ). I love going out in the middle of the night and just sitting there listening to the ocean. It was also great for those "me" times. Nothing is better than dozing off with the sea air and the warm sun.

The downsize is it's so hard to find a good rate as a solo for a balcony. With the TA that I often use, I receive e-mails on rates. Either the ship is one that I don't want to sail or the ports are ones that I visited more than once.

I wanted a balcony for my Alaskan cruise a few years back, but going solo the price would include arm and legs.

For my cruise in 2009 (2008 is my Disney cruise with an inside), I'm going all out for a balcony. You only turn 40 once!!

Okay, I "get" the whole balcony thing. Yeah, yeah, warm sea breezes, moonlight on the water, glass of wine with a Hemmingway novel in hand. I get it.

But, for little ol' me, I would rather travel more often in a slightly less frilly way than to go on only one really expensive trip every year or two. Given the choice between one sailing in a balcony versus two sailings with an inside, I would rather do the two. And that's really what it comes down to, because a balcony is usually twice the price, if not more. Given this differential I am totally OK reading Hemmingway in the ship's library. ;)

Paul

I share Paul's philosophy of travel, and budget! :D I can take 2 or 3 cruises in an inside room for the price of 1 balcony. I've accepted the fact that I'll probably never experience a balcony unless I sail with someone else.

That said, please don't let what I think keep you from booking and enjoying your balcony. I envy you.

Roz

Paul - I'm a Burgher in exile, and my father's name was Paul. I get a chuckle every time you post. Steelers Forever.....

Hi,:) I have had 3 balconies.....once when I shared a cabin

with a girlfriend, and the 2 other times I was able to find

really REALLY low prices. Once on a Happy Hour price and the

other time it was only 100.00 more and that was going from an

inside! It was a no brainer.

But other than that.....I don't even look for balcony pricing.

I am in the group who would just prefer to crusie more and

I definitely stay within my cruising budget. When I see the prices

of most balconies I know they are not within my $ but

that is ok with me.

Those 3 times were nice but I had no trouble going back

to an inside...guess I just adapt easily;)

I had people tell me after the first balcony that I would never

go back to a "regular cabin"....they don't know me very well.

I have an inside cabin next month. It is no problem:D

I am on the ship!!!

Paul - I'm a Burgher in exile, and my father's name was Paul. I get a chuckle every time you post. Steelers Forever.....

Thanks for the compliment, Roz. I am glad you find my posts entertaining. I will endeavor to keep my sense of humor, which, given my odd little life, is both a prerequisite and source of constant comic inspiration! :eek:

- Paul

cincicruisers

i know exactly what you are talking about. the 1a on my 3/4 carnival pride cruise was a great price BUT i wanted a balcony again, after going 2 cruises in a row without one. i still have a decent price considering it is double price. i am going to love sitting out on my balcony just like my first 2 cruises!

Linda:

You hit the nail on the head when you said "it's a tough decision" vis a vis balcony versus inside for a solo!

I abhor the cost of solo. Don't we all. But, I don't care if I get 2 more cruises for the $$$ if I'm stuck in an inside room. They are IDEAL for the "get out and go" types. They go and find their little, quiet spots. Bravo. Sadly, I'm a bit more prone to "lay back" and a balcony is that for me.

Have a balcony this summer solo.......and, next year I AM doing an oceanview only because it is booked as a single and there is a huge part of a forward open deck that is one door from my cabin on the ship I've booked.

For me.......it sometimes needs to be solo.....but it is ALWAYS about the PORTS! NOT the cruise. If I really wanted to cruise a whole lot, guess I'd learn to get more for less in an inside. For me, there are ports I'd like to see, I'm solo and looking for a safe way to do so......I cruise when and where for that reason. So, if once a year I plan a cruise to some terrific ports I'm inclined to a balcony.

Now.....if I were an avid cruiser and truly loved the ship life......I'd likely economize, get more trips with insides, get out there, etc.

But, I'm only using a ship (and I'm not too particular which one it is) because I'm a solo and it's a safe way to see many of the cities I'd like to see. That means, I'm not looking to sail a whole lot of times...so, the times I go will be in a good cabin, not cheap seats that I know I wont make an effort to offset with some initiative.

Thanks for the compliment, Roz. I am glad you find my posts entertaining. I will endeavor to keep my sense of humor, which, given my odd little life, is both a prerequisite and source of constant comic inspiration! :eek:

- Paul

Roz & Paul....how about a Superbowl 2008 cruise? Deck the ship in black and gold cause you know we'll be back!! :D

- Paul

Roz & Paul....how about a Superbowl 2008 cruise? Deck the ship in black and gold cause you know we'll be back!! :D

Linda:

You hit the nail on the head when you said "it's a tough decision" vis a vis balcony versus inside for a solo!

I abhor the cost of solo. Don't we all. But, I don't care if I get 2 more cruises for the $$$ if I'm stuck in an inside room. They are IDEAL for the "get out and go" types. They go and find their little, quiet spots. Bravo. Sadly, I'm a bit more prone to "lay back" and a balcony is that for me.

That is how I am, I am glad I am not alone in this thought process. I am not a good group person and when I want to relax and read I usually do so on the balcony. I hate being closed in also, and the one cruise I took with an inside cabin was depressing for me when I went solo. I dont think I would mind an inside if I was traveling with someone, but solo, it is just too sad for me.

I've enjoyed reading everyones responses about cabin choices. I like to mix up my vacations so that one year I'm doing a land trip to Europe or Asia and one year I'm taking a cruise. Usually I decide on itinerary and date and then start to look at ships. Usually the last thing I think about is my cabin. With this attitude mostly I've had insides which is ok with me.

I have never had any problems finding quiet spots to enjoy the sea.

Faith

Different strokes for different folks, that is what it boils

down to.....what is good for one person is not necessarily

good for another. It is good they offer cabin choices.

And we all look at life differently and have the lifestyles

we are accustomed to..

Linda, if you can afford a balcony every time then sure

go for it. Plus, you made the comment you would be too sad

to have inside. I have never thought about it that way.

My cabin is just a place for me to sleep, shower and change clothes.

I know I mentioned in my earlier post I have had 3 balconies,

but those were only because the prices were excellent.

I am living on my own for more than 20 years.....having

an inside cabin is no more sad for me than being here

on my own. (I mean I don't consider living on my own sad).

Even with the balconies, I didn't even use them that

often.

And sailing solo, the entire cruise is quality time for me:)

Dear balcony cruisers:

I just want to say "thank you" for choosing a balcony when you cruise. After all, you are paying a lot more per square foot of cabin than I am. And since you pay more for the same dining room, swimming pool, shows, exercise room and other common amenities, in effect, you are subsidizing my vacation. So, again, thank you. Without your support, I would no doubt have to pay more! :cool:

Paul

The last time I cruised solo, I booked an Outside and was perfectly happy with it. I can't book an inside due to extreme claustrophia, but just having a window is enough to keep my anxiety down. I just refused to think about the fact that the window coudln't be opened! :p

I splurged on my upcoming cruise and got a Balcony because I'm a bit concerned about the crowds and history of Carnival having a constant party atmosphere. I want my own space to read by the ocean with my glass of wine. I can't wait! I love traveling solo!

I've been blessed with 3 balcony cabins and they were AMAZING! On my first one I took my bedding out there determined to sleep on my balcony. I was totally sober when I saw and heard the dolphins accompanying the ship. OK, I have a wonderful imagination :p

But I'm poor and landlocked in Chicago, so I have to pay for airfare which can add enuf $ to make a cruise out of my reach.

I just love to cruise. I love being on the ship. I enjoy the people on the ship. I dream about the quiet motion while on the water.

If I only have $500, and a balcony cabin costs $2,000, I have a choice. What's more important to me? Waiting another year or two until I can afford that wonderful balcony? Or grabbing that inside cabin and cruising in two months.

Only you can decide your priorities.

That is how I am, I am glad I am not alone in this thought process. I am not a good group person and when I want to relax and read I usually do so on the balcony. I hate being closed in also, and the one cruise I took with an inside cabin was depressing for me when I went solo. I dont think I would mind an inside if I was traveling with someone, but solo, it is just too sad for me.

Hi Cincicruisers,

I now know how right you are. Just returned from Century, where I had my first inside. Would not do it again. Love this ship and it's people, but too many noisy people on this one and no real refuge. (I do know it was spring break, something else I will not repeat)

That said, if an inside cabin is what you can afford, and the alternative is not to cruise, than I can understand that it certainly beats not cruising. Just MO.

Your "too sad" comment is right on the mark.

Did have some wonderful experiences, but none related to my cabin choice.:(

Anne

Just back from my first solo...had a balcony, and truly enjoyed the time out there...pre ordered my coffee and fruit and loved starting my day there....

WOuld I cruise with out - honestly,, probably not....it is part of the whole atmosphere...I will just look for deal on my next balcony...

I book a balcony every time. It's an expense, but it (and I) am worth it! I agree that all-inclusives just don't cut it for a single traveler. Cruises are a much easier way to relax, meet people, have fun, party if you want, chill on the balcony if you want.

I love to have coffee on the balcony in the morning, relax in the evening before bed, leave the door open for the soothing sounds of the ocean. I don't think I could ever go back to a non-balcony cabin.

I'm not the type to stay in my cabin all day, I do enjoy sitting on the sun deck reading a book, drinking a frozen drink and chatting with people. But when I do want alone time, I still want to see and hear the ocean.

I would love a balcony, but like some others here would rather cruise more. I do however, want an outside cabin, so I just book an outside guarantee. I have a 6E category reservation on the Carnival Victory for 9/3. If I get upgraded, that's fine, if not, that's ok too.

:) Hi, I am worth it too but my budget doesn't always have

the amount of $ in it for a balcony.

So, I have to weigh the options......inside or no cruise at all?

Inside wins out everytime:)

Archived