Cruise Critics live from Oosterdam

Randy H

Aboard the Oosterdam, Thursday, February 22 (Day 6) Somewhere off Baja (I could tell you where exactly, but that would take a trip downstairs to check.)

This is probably the best cruise I have ever been on… Not the most exciting itinerary, or the most beautiful scenery, but the best cruise experience.

Our cruise critic group has been treated like royalty by the ships staff. Simon De Boar, filling in for the famous Mr. Deering has been wonderful. One of our Cruise Critic members has christened our captain, who is easy to approach and talk to, (youngest in the fleet) Olav van der Waard, “Van der Hottie…”

From the Captain, on down, the crew is happy and accommodating… we noted a sign in the Galley while on a private tour, that said “No is not a word we use.” It seems this isn’t just a slogan… they mean it.

The weather and seas have been perfect, warm but not too hot, smooth as glass. Now we are pointed north towards San Diego and it’s a bit overcast and cooler.

The Cruise Critics started off with a “3:00 wave” with the new banner made by Peggy (aka Cruznon) The banner now lives on board in the Hotel Manager’s office and can be checked out by future Cruise Critic groups. There were 6 of us on hand: Peggy and her DH, Fred, along with Bill and Meryil (aka “insiders Cabin”) and Randy and Tina (“Randy H” and “Tina H”).

After the life boat drill we had a disorganized meeting at the Crow’s Nest for a sail away and met several Cruise Critic members including “Sasse” (Sally and Steve, who was suffering from missing luggage, soon found) Adam, one of the assistant cruise directors sat with us for some time.

The official Cruise Critic’s party was Sunday morning, our first day at sea. Holland out did themselves… We had our own room (the Oak Room off the Crow’s Nest”.) When we arrived a bit early (I had set up the meeting CC meeting with Jocelyn in Seattle, so felt some responsibility.) We found the Assistant beverage manager there attending to arraignments. Holland provided wine and champagne along with juice and other beverages. We were soon joined by the beverage manager, who informed me that Mr. de Boer would be joining us. We have attended cruise critic parties on another line cruise line, which allows you to sign up for such on line, but Holland seems to take the process more seriously.

The staff didn’t just visit and leave, they stayed, talked and joked with us, and generally made the cruise critic members feel special and appreciated. Many of the management staff including Mr. de Boer clearly at least occasionally check the boards.

One of our group mentioned the missed the kitchen tour to be there. Simon de Boer offered to set up a private kitchen tour later. We collected the member’s cabin numbers (hint, if someone is setting up a cruise critic gathering in the future, collecting the cabin numbers would be a good idea… possibly via off the board emails to maintain privacy)

Simon also invited all the cruise critic members to the Captains cocktail party the next day (via invitations delivered to our cabins…)

As our cruise continued, the CC members seemed to continue to gather informally all over the ship, to compare notes and experiences. Wednesday we all received invitations to a private kitchen tour. Unlike the regular conga-line tours, these (there were two groups, and we included both CC members, suite guests, and other cruise guests) tours were personally guided, and even included the provision areas and bakery on deck A.

Holland and the Oosterdam (sounds like toaster) staff have done the best possible job of making us (the Cruise Critic members), along with all the guests, feel like honored guests.

Hot news from on board… The ship will be dry-docked twice, one in late April as planned to replace the pod, then again in very late August to put the original, now repaired pod back on. I have heard that the “new” pod will either be returned to a ship under construction, or be kept as a fleet spare. They have introduced wine cards for 10 to 20 glasses, along with similar mixed drink cards. It appears they are discontinuing the wine packages.

Bye for now

Sounds like you guys are having a fantastic time on the Oosterdam!

I'd agree with your initial assessment: it's not the most beautiful itinerary, or the most exciting, but the opportunity to spend a week aboard the Oosterdam is always worth it :D

Enjoy the rest of your cruise!

Hi Randy......Thank you so much for taking time from your cruise to share with us.

Sounds like you all are having such a great cruise. :)

No surprise everything is so wonderful if Simon de Boer is Hotel Manager. Everything is sure to be 'ship shape'. He's fabulous!!@!@! We enjoyed sailing with him on Volendam and again last August on Maasdam and think him wonderful.

Continue to enjoy. Can't wait to hear more.

Randy,

Thanks for the info!! My Wife and I, and some friends, will be on the Oosterdam May 5th (1st timer's on HAL) and I have one burning question;

WHERE IS THE BEST MARTINI ON BOARD?

Laugh if you will but a good martini can make or break a cruise.

Thanks again & enjoy the cruise,

Dave

This is a general question I've always wondered. How do you identify yourself as a cruise critic member to be invited to all these events? I spent a ton of time on these boards but never know how to get to these gatherings.

Thanks!

This is a general question I've always wondered. How do you identify yourself as a cruise critic member to be invited to all these events? I spent a ton of time on these boards but never know how to get to these gatherings.

Thanks!

You need to register on the roll call and hope that some unsung hero steps up to set the whole thing up for everyone or you could do it for them.

Randy--thanks for the great report! We will be taking your place on Saturday and we are looking forward to meeting Mr. de Boer to introduce him to a new group of CCers, about 25 strong at the moment! Well, I'd better get back to packing soon! We are off to San Diego in the morning. The weather forecast for Saturday morning is some fog followed by sunny skies with a high of 62 degrees--welcome back!

First, slightly off topic but....WHAT IN THE WORLD IS GOING ON WITH THESE BOARDS???? They are fast...easy....no WSOD....what in the world am I going to do at work today? Most of my time is taken up waiting for things to load :eek: :p so instead I'm just going to have to post what I know to help answer some questions...please jump in if I am wrong!

Hot news from on board… The ship will be dry-docked twice, one in late April as planned to replace the pod, then again in very late August to put the original, now repaired pod back on. I have heard that the “new” pod will either be returned to a ship under construction, or be kept as a fleet spare. They have introduced wine cards for 10 to 20 glasses, along with similar mixed drink cards. It appears they are discontinuing the wine packages.

Randy H, glad you are enjoying your cruise! I have a question about those wine cards---is it house wine only? Have you tried their house wine by chance and is it decent? It's a shame to hear that they are discontinuing those wine packages...I received one from my father as a complete surprise and each bottle in it was fabulous. I'm just wondering if it is worth purchasing the wine card or better to bring your own bottles on board.

Is Captain "Van der Hottie" the permanent captain on the Oosterdam then or is my lovely Captain Mercer coming back at some point next month? :)

Sale Away...someone much more qualified than I could probably answer this better (Copper 10-8 where are you??? You always have these answers! :p ), but if I'm not mistaken I think both captains rotate, although I don't know how many weeks they rotate on/off. I do think I read on here somewhere that Olav Van der Waard is supposed to be on in March though...even though I'm sure he won't replace your Captain Mercer :) , he is a terrific captain. Hopefully "Van der Hottie" will be back on board in late November as my group is planning on being on board the week after Thanksgiving and we would love to see both him and James Deering, who I believe will be on board then as well.

WHERE IS THE BEST MARTINI ON BOARD?

Dave...again, someone more qualified might be able to help out, but I've been told that the Atrium Bar (bottom of the stairs in the Atrium) makes the best martinis on board. However, if you or anyone in your group wants something a bit fruitier, you can get the BEST grapefruit cosmos on the Oosterdam....they are so good we even got the recipe to bring home with us. Have a great first HAL cruise!!

I once met a Captain on the Ryndam that should have been "Captain Van Der Hottie". Wickedly handsome with blonde hair and blue eyes he looked like he belonged on GQ, not on the bridge of a ship!;)

Randy- Continued smooth seas and sunshine. Have a safe trip home!!:D

Randy--thanks for the great report! We will be taking your place on Saturday and we are looking forward to meeting Mr. de Boer to introduce him to a new group of CCers, about 25 strong at the moment! Well, I'd better get back to packing soon! We are off to San Diego in the morning. The weather forecast for Saturday morning is some fog followed by sunny skies with a high of 62 degrees--welcome back!

Hope you have a great cruise, Bill.

Fair winds and a following sea......

Archived