Question for those who went with Jolly Pirates

joyride

We are visting Aruba in April and are booked for the Jolly Pirates trip at 9 AM. I'm just wondering for those of you have done this from the Crown Princess - did you take a cab or try the bus to get out to MooMba Beach? Also, did you stay and hang out at the beach for awhile after the Jolly Pirate trip? How was the beach here?

• 2 weeks later...

All the threads I have found (that have any responses) about Jolly Pirates are over a year old! Surely someone has been out with them recently? Would love to hear how it was! Please :)

We just did Jolly Pirates and really enjoyed it. The snorkeling was great, the crew was wonderful, the lunch was delicious and the rope swing was lots of fun! The crew also did a very entertaining acrobatic/dive show.

It leaves from Moomba's which looks like a great spot for breakfast.

• 3 weeks later...

We went out with the Jolly Pirates on Aruba in October, 2006. It was one of the best snorkel trips we have gone on. They took us to 3 sites including the wreck which is only just below water line. In addition to the usual things on a boat trip, they performed some incredible acrobatic moves swinging and jumping from the ropes on the ship. We had a great time. If you book direct from them, it is a short taxi ride to their beach.

Our cruise is in two weeks and we are booked with Jolly Pirates. We orginally booked and paid for 5 people - but two of our group had to cancel. Jolly Pirates quickly refunded me for the 2 that are not going - no problems at all.

I will report back on how we liked the excursion.

Just were out with them last Tuesday. Had a great time. Takes off from a beautiful beach. I was surprised at how little a distance we travelled, though. I thought we'd see more of the coastline, but I guess they just hug the calm side of the island. We did the 9 - 2:30 trip, and spent the majority of the time moored in one spot. They served a delicious lunch. It was open bar the whole time and only one passenger got carried away. The food was excellent. It was a very relaxing day.

Hey WT, We were on the Jolly Pirates last Tuesday morning too. We had a blast and I agree that the lunch was very good for an excursion.The crew were a lot of fun and very entertaining and all the people we met were very nice. I guess we missed the one who over did it:)

I thought the snorkeling was just okay, due to the low visibility which was probably due to the storm they had on Monday, but the ship wreck was very cool. The water was a bit choppy too and although we were fine, there were some out there who scared me a little. However, there was a crew member in the water keeping an eye on things, so that was good. I would definitely recommend wearing a life vest if you are a novice.

I really enjoyed the atmosphere on board and did not feel rushed like you do on some excursions. Watching the brave souls and crew on the rope swing was great fun as well. All and all, It was a wonderful way to start our vacation and I would do it again!

• 2 months later...

What type of ladder does the snorkle boat have for getting in & out of the water? I have a friend who likes to snorkle but due to knee replacements cannot climb an over the side ladder. She needs something that goes deep into the ladder like a stair case...........

Hi Arubalisa!

Jolly Pirates was everything we had read about.

You go to their office on the beach past the Holiday Inn beach and check in for your boarding passes. They had a big group when we were there and had both pirate ships going out.

We were on the second ship, which ended up being the newer one. They bring transport boats right to the beach to pick you up. You board the boat and it takes you out to the ship - where it comes along side and then you board. The ships are really cool. There is a fairly large area in the back that is shaded, but about half of the folks end up in the front -which is in the sun. It was quite warm when we were there and we were on the right side of the transport boat in the middle and were first ones off - so we grabbed a spot in the shade along the stern of the pirate ship.

They immediately start serving drinks when you board - and they are available and free flowing all day. They have water, soft drinks, mixed drinks and pirates poisen. It's a rum punch and it's tasty, but mild. I think they go quite light on the liquor, which is a good idea.

We snorkeled at 3 spots. The first spot was just sort of an open water (deeper water) reef - and it was sort of rough and windy, so we didn't spend much time there. (I'm sort of a wimp and I like calm waters). The second spot was near the shore - and this is where lunch was delivered to the ship. It was rocky with lots of coves and inlets and the snorkeling was pretty good.

We had lunch - which was excellent. Ribs, chicken, salad, bread, pasta salad, etc. After lunch they got the rope swing going. This was the highlight and quite a blast. The VERY CUTE guys on the ship start the swing and they do flips and tricks and such. Then, the folks onboard get to go and everyone is really into it - videoing and taking pix of their kids and dads and such. We had a very althelic young lady (probably a gymnastics pro) on our ship who did some great flips and ended up going off the rope on the back of one of the guys from the ship - and they did some pretty tremendous moves. My DH got some cool movies of it all.

Our third stop was a sunken ship from WWII. This was definitely one of the coolest snorkels I have ever done. (and I have snorkeled all over the Caribbean, Hawaii, Mexico, etc.) The ship is sort of sideways in the water and when you get it - the side of the ship is right there, kind of like a big wall. And, there are just fish and vegetation and all kinds of cool stuff. It was a very interesting spot.

We really had a great time - and it was TOTALLY worth the $42.50 each - which is the price we got by pre-booking on line.

GO FOR IT. I know you will enjoy!

I should have posted this when we got back.

A big vote for Jolly Pirates - a Great Day!!

You go to their office on the beach past the Holiday Inn beach and check in for your boarding passes. They had a big group when we were there and had both pirate ships going out.

We were on the second ship, which ended up being the newer one. They bring transport boats right to the beach to pick you up. You board the boat and it takes you out to the ship - where it comes along side and then you board. The ships are really cool. There is a fairly large area in the back that is shaded, but about half of the folks end up in the front -which is in the sun. It was quite warm when we were there and we were on the right side of the transport boat in the middle and were first ones off - so we grabbed a spot in the shade along the stern of the pirate ship.

They immediately start serving drinks when you board - and they are available and free flowing all day. They have water, soft drinks, mixed drinks and pirates poisen. It's a rum punch and it's tasty, but mild. I think they go quite light on the liquor, which is a good idea.

We snorkeled at 3 spots. The first spot was just sort of an open water (deeper water) reef - and it was sort of rough and windy, so we didn't spend much time there. (I'm sort of a wimp and I like calm waters). The second spot was near the shore - and this is where lunch was delivered to the ship. It was rocky with lots of coves and inlets and the snorkeling was pretty good.

We had lunch - which was excellent. Ribs, chicken, salad, bread, pasta salad, etc. After lunch they got the rope swing going. This was the highlight and quite a blast. The VERY CUTE guys on the ship start the swing and they do flips and tricks and such. Then, the folks onboard get to go and everyone is really into it - videoing and taking pix of their kids and dads and such. We had a very althelic young lady (probably a gymnastics pro) on our ship who did some great flips and ended up going off the rope on the back of one of the guys from the ship - and they did some pretty tremendous moves. My DH got some cool movies of it all.

Our third stop was a sunken ship from WWII. This was definitely one of the coolest snorkels I have ever done. (and I have snorkeled all over the Caribbean, Hawaii, Mexico, etc.) The ship is sort of sideways in the water and when you get it - the side of the ship is right there, kind of like a big wall. And, there are just fish and vegetation and all kinds of cool stuff. It was a very interesting spot.

We really had a great time - and it was TOTALLY worth the $42.50 each - which is the price we got by pre-booking on line.

Thanks so much for the details Joyride! We are seriously considering this for our trip in December. I just know the kids would love it. Dh and I have dove the wrecks numerous times, but none of the 4 kids or my brother. I just know they would be in total awe.

AND Happy early Anniversary! Dh and I are celebrating our 10th today. :)

Hi Arubalisa!

HI! I just have one question, when you get in and out of the water, is the ladder straight up and down or does it slant? thanks...Nancie

If I remember rightly the ladder is straight up and down and it wasn't the easiest thing to manuever. If you are concerned with mobility - I would email jolly pirates and ask them. The crew is great and I think they would be more than willing to assist someone who can't do the ladder easily.

The website is http://www.jollypirates.com.

Archived