Carnival Ships Infirmary "Level of Care"

Wennfred

Crew members are required to have regular check ups and I would think that any facility would have to do a screening before doing a transfusion.

I understand that. As a blood donor, I have to fill in and answer a questionnare, with certain questions such as "have you been out of the country, to Mexico, Roatan, etc. If so, and if within a certain amount of time, you are dis-allowed from donating. I know for a fact that most ships go to islands that are out of the "donor zone" for Blood Services - at least here in NY! Believe me - if I needed an emergency donation, I want one from any source, and worry about what might be in the blood later! However, I am pretty amazed there is no "emergency blood" or plasma kept on a ship "just in case" - especially with 3,000+ people on a ship each and every week! (and I, too, was very happy with the emergency care from the infirmary my dd got on Dream when she needed it)

This makes me glad I travel with DH since we both have the same blood type.

However, I am pretty amazed there is no "emergency blood" or plasma kept on a ship "just in case" - especially with 3,000+ people on a ship each and every week!

Im surprised as well.

But Im wondering if they ask for those donations as a to replace stock or to trade with Blood Bank when they get back in port to keep costs done

My daughter became ill on our cruise back in 2009, it was just at the end of the swine flu outbreak everywhere. She had chills, felt fluish and had a pain in her back. She kept refusing to go to the infirmary because she was afraid they would quarantine her. (She was 23, I didn't force it) I finally insisted on going down there myself to talk to a nurse. I explained her symptoms, the nurse immediately said "Sounds like a kidney infection, bring her on down" They did a urinalysis, gave us the results in about 5 minutes and confirmed the nurses diagnosis. They prescribed antibiotics and we were back in our cabin in half an hour or so. They called every day to see how she was doing and sent us a complimentary movie since we couldn't go down to dinner. The cost was 65 dollars? I was extremely impressed with the whole set-up.

Wow this is an old thread. I read this

Each ship in the fleet carries one doctor and three nurses; the Destiny, Triumph and Victory each carry two doctors and four nurses.

And wondered why Destiny, Triumph, and Victory would get more doctors than their other ships, many of which are much larger.

Then I realized, in 2007, those may have been the large ships.

Broke my wrist playing volleyball in Barbados. They x-rayed it and put it in a splint. Offered me pain med. but I said no as I preferred alcohol! Very professional and as it turned out the MD had a practice about 15 miles from the town we live in. Small world. Also, my health insurance reimbursed me when I submitted the bills.

Archived