Can anyone become a TA and save money?

late seating

No one likes to be called a fraud....or whatever else I was called

I resoponded to the post "Can anyone become a TA and save money?"

I made the silly mistake of giving information on how to become a TA and save money.

How it turned into name calling I have no idea...but I did not see anyone else with the right answer!

I have given this information to other people and have been thanked many times over...not here!

Hi Kathleen, We are the "Apprentice Fraud Artists" (Thanks Danno for the mean spirited, cruel, nasty etc. moniker) that started this thread. Thanks very much for your replies and information. We, along with several other fellow cruisers appreciate it. It was very informative and what we were looking for. The lashing you gave to DANNO was one of the best retorts we have read in a long time. We sure pushed his buttons but then ain't that what this is all about (point counter-point)?

Well, I for one appreciated the question. Often I feel like I do all the work and my TA gets the commission. If someone wants to get the license and id card, then all the more power to them. I don't understand why when someone wants to save a dollar in a legitimate (sp?) manner that they get flamed.

I really don't think it is our responsibility to "police" a particular industry. Kathleen has obviously spent considerable time, money and effort to get her CLIA card. It's much more trouble than I would want to go through for the few cruises I take but it may encourage some folks to turn a hobby or casual interest into a new or second career. There are certainly many people here on CC who have as much knowledge about the cruise business as most TAs.

Actually there have been some really good points made here. We don't do "most" of the research for our cruises, we do ALL of it and then call our TA to book it for us. The only reason he still holds a warm spot in my heart is because you can call him anytime and also because he recommended that we do an upgrade to get the huge aft veranda on the Summit. I don't think saving the TA's profit is such a bad idea since we do all the work.

Kathleen...thanks for taking the time to answer the OP's question. Although I do not think CLIA membership is something that would work for me, it is interesting to read about. Part of what I enjoy about these boards is the exchange of information. I just ignore the mean spirited and judgemental posts and hope you will too!

Liz

Great info - Your reply to Danno was good - not directly insulting him but you showed him the error in his thinking - very good for you. That is exactly what I had to do with Chicks Pal not be rude but show them why they are wrong - this is a forum afterall!

Ooops... ( Thats what happens when you have 4 windows opened ;) )

You understand, then, what happens when I moderate both HAL and X. (I'm not telling how many times I've made the same mistake.):rolleyes:

WAY TO GO!!!! Kathleen thanks for the info, and unfortunately you observed how these threads can get NASTY.... :( I have had run ins many times myself, with the others (esp. with the ever charming DANNO) , but I'm scrappy, and when they BARK; I BITE.....:mad: I am glad that you decided to share your information with the boards, and it is NO ONES business how YOU obtain YOUR CLIA membership, what you pay for, or HOW you vacation. The question was how could THEY obtain theirs.

And you have every right to FLAME them........:D

ALSO dont feel you have justify your position as a TA to SOME of these peons.. :)

While not exactly the words I would use Ninib ( I don't think you need to mention names as everyone is entitled to their opinion), I quite agree with you.

Bill

WAY TO GO!!!! Kathleen thanks for the info, and unfortunately you observed how these threads can get NASTY.... :( I have had run ins many times myself, with the others (esp. with the ever charming DANNO) , but I'm scrappy, and when they BARK; I BITE.....:mad: I am glad that you decided to share your information with the boards, and it is NO ONES business how YOU obtain YOUR CLIA membership, what you pay for, or HOW you vacation. The question was how could THEY obtain theirs.

And you have every right to FLAME them........:D

ALSO dont feel you have justify your position as a TA to SOME of these peons.. :)

So you don't want to be a TA...you just want the paperwork that says you are a TA so you can get discounts from the cruise lines, who do this so active TAs can sell their product and do so intellegently...and this is not misrepresentation??

Sorry...unless I'm missing something this is just not right. But hey...if it works for you, DO IT. That's usually all that matters anymore.

Thanks everyone...glad I could help those that wanted the info.

For those of you that needed the info again the site is http://www.cruising.org on the homepage you will see the header and on the right you will see travel agent center (or something like that). click on that and the menu on the left of the page will give you all the info you need.

This is how I got started---My husband and I love to travel everywhere. I used to do all the research and then call my TA and give her all the sepcifics of what we wanted. Half the time I was telling her about a resort that she did not know about! She told me I would be good at this and invited me in to where she works to "teach me". I did not get paid a salary - commission only. Well I was booking lots of trips, my contacts by the way...only to get 50% of the 10% commission 4-6 months later. This adds up to a little more than pennies. This was a very large American Express Travel Agency (at least 20 office agents and even more home based agents) I got smart and figured out how to do it myself and keep it all. I occasionally book trips for family/friends...I get them the best their money can buy, upgrades (it's all in the know how and keeping contacts) and send them gifts depending on the occasion. I don't do it for the money...it's more of a hobby. Since we travel so often, it is nice to get a discount every now and then. FIY...many places don't give TA discounts...they do not care. Many of our vacations are not discounted at all.

The only way we get a free vacation is using our AmExPlat points

[b]Kathleen, it seems too me that you are being a little harsh on Dan, I happen too agree with him on this subject,[/b]

[b]having been in the travel business for a number of years, ( owned 3 agencies in the S.F.bay area) I feel that folks thatget in the business, to be able to save a few bucks on cruises or other vacation discount are just trying to scam the suppliers. Not to mention the negative impact on the pros who are in the business in order to make a living.[/b]

[b]So who is on thier highhorse?????[/b]

[b]Phil[/b]

Thank You Kathleen for the information. Why I use a company to book my cruises, vacations, etc I provide them with all the info, not the other way around, all they do is call the cruiseline, hotel to book for us. Was thinking of setting up some kind of my own business, your thread may have given me the start of something

First of all.... very few Celebrity cruises go on agents' rates.

Secondly, when there is a Seminar At Sea, it is not open to all agents. Invitations are sent.

Thirdly, agent fams for new ships are also by invitation and invitations are limited .. usually to 100 per District Sales Manager.

4th.....agents who book the fewest cruises are not visited by a DSM, rather they have their own inside sales person who they never see.

There's a lot more to being a cruise agent than just the booking process... and paying some outfit a $495.00 sign up fee. And if you want to be full service......say hello to various bonds, errors and omissions insurance policies, etc.

If you truly want low fares, find yourself a high volume cruise agent, establish a strong working relationship with that agent keep booking with that agent.. and don't shop him or her for five bucks........and skip the overhead. You'll come out ahead in the long run.

Yes, there are agents who do very well for themselves... but they are glued to their headsets 5 sometimes 6 days a week.. 8 hours a day.

[color=black][quote name='Kathleen P.']There is much more to it than just paying a membership fee. the website is [url="http://www.cruising.org/"][color=#800080]www.cruising.org[/color][/url]. You will need to set up a company and register the DBA with your town hall, get a fed tax id# and bank account just for the company (this way if you do sell any vacations, the commission check will be in the company name and you will have to deposit it), fax machine, business cards and I think the yearly fee is $400 or so...not sure.[/color]

[color=black]There have been travel agents getting discounts since the dawn of time--so what? There are so many people on this board that do not wish to do thier own booking as it does take work and they think a travel agent gets them a great deal or something...some do...some don't.[/color]

[color=black]Before I became a TA, I used one for everything and thought she was the travel god...turns out I could have done everything she did myself...It just takes a bit of research. That is why travel agencies are not doing so well...I do not book for people, just myself. I like being in control of my own bookings where I can call the curise lines and or resorts myself without having to play telephone with anyone. And the 10 to 15% off doesn't hurt either [/QUOTE][/color]

[color=black]I have to say I try really hard to not get involved in controversial topics. This time I can't resist. I am a TA for a large internet based company. I sell many cruises. I absolutely love what I do. I became a TA because I love to cruise. I work full time, and in fact, many days way more than 8 hours. When I get perks for being a TA, I absolutely earn them! But even more than that I don't see how she feels she saves $'s.[/color]

[color=black]Here's what I don't understand: How does Kathleen P figure she saves a lot of money by having a CLEA number? She states the dues "$400 or so" a year, "and the 10 to 15% off doesn't hurt either " If she books only for herself, I have to say I'm quite sure her commission is in the 10% range. If it cost's approx. $400 a year for membership, where is her savings? She could save the $400 and book through TA's who discount, The savings would be about the same as her commission. [/color]

[color=black]If my take on this isn't correct, I do apologize. [/color]

[color=black]Sharon[/color]

Marti, In all fairness why are we doing all the work and research just to supply our TA with the information to book our vacations. I'm not about to take away from those that make a living booking cruises but in all fairness, we do all the work and they get the commission. What is your big gripe???. We are doing our part, all the homework, they get the commission. It doesn't get any simpler. We do all of the research for weeks then we call the TA to book our cruise that we have been researching for weeks. What exactly is our obligation to the TA. To make sure that they can pay their rent and their phone bills because they have a family and bills. So do we. I don't see anyone in the wings to make sure our bills are being paid or for that matter, anyone that cares if we might lose our home. Goodness, I am so tired of being told who we have to support. Certainly our TA's. By all means, we have to support and feel sorry for everyone who is working on the ship even though they are perfectly happy with their jobs. Get over it, have a wonderful cruise, tip well, be kind and gracious to all of the ships employees as well as your fellow passengers. Enjoy your cruise.

I work as a sales manager for a large major department store, we salaried and work 50 hours a week, and that is on weeks that there is not a major sale. The months of Nov, Dec and the first half of Jan we work 6 days a week app 12 hours a day.........so someone to say I work 8 hours and sometimes more, somehow I can not feel sorry for them. The TA gets perks, on our bookings, that we researched, many times long and hard, all they do is call the cruiseline and finalize the deal for many of us......most people who work and work hard do not get perks. I wonder if the cruiseline got ready of the perks.....how much cheaper our cruises would be. I know a TA who every Feb., does a group cruises so that she can cruise for "free" never doing anything except a bottle of wine for the people she brings on board.........You know what TA have it easy..........

Archived