Can anyone become a TA and save money?

late seating

BB - I think you mis-read or confused my post with another... I don't think I had mentioned placing an ad anywhere.

The dedicated phone line and then in turn, it's accompanying listing in the phone book (white and yellow pages) is the MAIN thing.

I agree with you completely that there's still good info coming in on this thread. I tried to (and think I succeeeded) in passing along my own experiences and findings on this subject as it is obviously something I feel rather strongly about.

I think it's important to know that you do not HAVE to join CLIA although they do offer a great service and I would recommend them if you sail enough or plan to book more than just a few cruises per year

Also, the liscensing/permit issue had not been addressed here but could be a huge point to consider.

The main thing that I had wanted to pass along with the home travel agent link that really sparked my interest and made me realize that yes, it WAS something I could do and was very interested in.

I'm not in anyway affliated with the site and like I said, I didn't buy anything from them but they do offer more information on this very subject than any other site/book/etc... that I've seen. It took me many many hours/days to read and reread all the info they have there for free and it really helps to answer many questions on this very subject.

I've been staying out of this since I posted at the beginning, with information that:

1)TA's go on standby (later confirmed by others)
2) Sales Managers will visit you (later confirmed)

Talk about flames, yikes, the response included:
"Are you for real????? ...well then you are not as smart as you think you are...Where do you get off being the judge and jury anyway? ...If I decide NOT to have clients, that is my business, not yours...I did not answer it to get flamed by the likes of you...If you can't figure out how to start up your own home based business...go back to high school"

Which if any of you read, you can easily see what I said and the response from it was just not appropriate, I wrote it off that she was mad at Danno's comments and was really addressing him in her response to me.

For the record, I went way past high school and, guess what, I did establish my own home based TA biz--in 1981, so I know a little about it, and those of you wanting to gain information about doing this, pay attention.

I ask all the ones that have said they have their own home based business,the following... either directly or indirectly, do you make claims to, or make the [u][b]U.S. Internal Revenue Service[/b][/u] aware of, your business?

There's no hidden judgement or trick question here, it's pretty much a yes or no answer, in order to fully inform the readers. Further comments after answers.

Joe - very sorry you were personally attacked - though I am sure the posters did not mean those comments toward you alone it doesn't make it right. Am I wrong in thinking that you don't have to report to the IRS if the income is less then $25,000/year and you have 0 employees? I am not a business owner but I was under the impression that there were criteria you had to meet before being required to report to the IRS. Similar to a consultant - at least it PA if you do consulting out of your home and your income is under $25,000 you do not need to report your earnings to the IRS only include them in your taxes end of year.

Good point Joe as far as the taxes go. One of the two certainties in life death and taxes...

This also brings me to one other point I had wanted to mention in my previous post but it got so long that I left it slide...

It was mentioned earlier about getting a tax ID... This is not completely necessary as my "business" is a "Sole Proprietorship" and in turn, my Social Security number IS my tax id # and Yes, I DO report and pay taxes on any income that I generate which obviously booking very few cruises is very little and especially since I normally cut my commisions to next to nothing anyway.

[quote name='Joe Beach']I've been staying out of this since I posted at the beginning, with information that:

1)TA's go on standby (later confirmed by others)
2) Sales Managers will visit you (later confirmed)

Talk about flames, yikes, the response included:
"Are you for real????? ...well then you are not as smart as you think you are...Where do you get off being the judge and jury anyway? ...If I decide NOT to have clients, that is my business, not yours...I did not answer it to get flamed by the likes of you...If you can't figure out how to start up your own home based business...go back to high school"

Which if any of you read, you can easily see what I said and the response from it was just not appropriate, I wrote it off that she was mad at Danno's comments and was really addressing him in her response to me.

For the record, I went way past high school and, guess what, I did establish my own home based TA biz--in 1981, so I know a little about it, and those of you wanting to gain information about doing this, pay attention.

I ask all the ones that have said they have their own home based business,the following... either directly or indirectly, do you make claims to, or make the [u][b]U.S. Internal Revenue Service[/b][/u] aware of, your business?

There's no hidden judgement or trick question here, it's pretty much a yes or no answer, in order to fully inform the readers. Further comments after answers.[/QUOTE]

Well If you read further in my posts, I do say that I have a Fed Tax ID #, which means I pay taxes on everything I make. In order to register with travel wholesalers and cruise lines you MUST fill out a tax form (theirs)and fax it to them with all of your company info - including your fed tax ID#...without it, you cannot register. When I call a cruise line or travel wholesaler, I give them my CLIA number...they input that into their computer and all my company info is there..my fax#, e-mail, tax ID#..everything. You also cannot be a member of CLIA without a tax ID, that is one of their requirements. When you sell a cruise it is payable to your company's name, NOT to you personally. If you do not have a bank account under your company's name and fed tax ID#, you cannot cash it. I pay taxes on everything I make - it's a 1099 form.

I am sorry if I got mad at the wrong person, but I hope you can understand my frustration in trying to give an answer to the original poster.

I have not done anything illegal, I have not falsified any documents. There is no licencing involved..if you decide to go to school, you may do so. I learned by working in a large busy travel Agency. I am a Travel Agent that has decided to not have clients. What about a lawyer who works in a large law firm. If that lawyer decides to leave the large law firm and start his own smaller firm and work for 1 client...that lawyer is still a lawyer? The answer is yes. How is this any different??

I think everyone has not read or misread my posts. If you re-read them, you will find that in fact I am a "real" travel agent, I do know what I am doing and I have lots of experience. I have a very legal small business, which is notorized and filed with my local town hall. I do pay taxes, it does cost me money to have this business...there is no free ride.

What is the problem and why is this such a debate?

[quote name='tbelian']Sorry, I think this should be closed.

There has not been that much value added discussion about the original post, or crusing in general.

I think it's time to put personal opinion (read position) aside and let the issue die a natural death.

Is it actually commiting a fraud, or not? Don't know, can't say. But I'm not a lawyer, some of us (posters) are .. regardless, the area is grey. Why risk it? Think of other situations where there was 'no question' about removing the item from the table (the back door entrance).

I only posted one or two times to this thread, because I saw quickly that it could become dicey. The fact of the matter is that because so many others have made it 'personal' it has violated community guidelines, hasn't it?

Thanks.[/QUOTE]This is a good opportunity to reiterate a Host's moderation role on Cruise Critic.

Hosts are not editors. If a Member posts a recollection of how her Regency cruise line voyage to the Mediterranean in 2002 was just great, the fact that my experience on that cruise was awful makes for a discussion, not for an edit. (I know, Regency Cruises went bankrupt a while back. Just an example.)

We get involved only if there is a contravention of our [url="http://www.cruisecritic.com/community/guide.cfm"]Community Guidelines[/url].

In this case the rules for obtaining CLIA and IATA credentials are set by CLIA and IATA. If one meets their requirements completely, openly and honestly, then that person is entitled to the benefits and privileges offered. It's not condoning any illegal or immoral act.

In addition, it's up to Celebrity, or any other cruise line, whether they want to offer CLIA and/or IATA credential holders a discount, and if so, what conditions they choose to apply.

Apart from some unnecessary personal characterizations, this thread is consistent with our [url="http://www.cruisecritic.com/community/guide.cfm"]Community Guidelines[/url].

As long as there are no posts that provide instructions on how to [b]evade[/b] the law or the procedures and requirements of CLIA, IATA and/or the cruise lines, there is no reason to take any action on this thread for that reason.

Hi Walt, closing this sounds like a good idea to us. We asked the initial question and Kathlen answered it very well and quite early on in the thread. All, or most of the additional negative appendage, in our opinion, was from TA's trying to protect their commissions. It seems that knowledgeable cruisers who "do all their own research" would like a system that rewards themselves rather than paying a commission to TA's that merely make a telehone call.

What sense does it make to close it at this point. If it would have been closed when others wanted it to be, I would not have been able to add to it and point out that CLIA is not absolutely required to become an agent in the cruise lines eyes... And up until my post, I don't think it was clear that a dedicated business line IS required by most lines...

There might also be additional info others would have to pass along that neither myself nor Kathleen were aware of and I'd hate to miss that opportunity "down the road" by having the thread closed...

I vote for just "let it ride"

I would like to thank Kathleen and Imme for the great info! I think with all the resources available on the web now days, travel agents are a dying breed (and as shown in this thread, will go down fighting). But like most other posters on this thread, I do all the work for a booking and would really appreciate the ability to reap my own reward from the cruise lines! If one of the major lines ever decides to give us our due (and yes WE earned it by doing ALL the work), I would become a loyal customer! I hate the fact that I can't even call the cruise line to ask what seating I'm assigned for dinner! My current agent screwed up my cabin request twice (when I gave him specific numbers which I had already called and verified were available) and then seemed pretty ticked when I informed him he booked the wrong one. I really resent the fact that I have to pay (and yes, that commission is coming out of my pocket) someone to make a phonecall. C'mon cruiselines! Give us a chance to prove we can make our own reservations!!!!!

There is so much to be said about booking your own vacation if it is a good deal. When I book my own cruise, I like to be the one asking the questions, having the cabin choices and making the payments and making any changes myself. Anyone can do this by calling the cruise line directly. If the price is the same as using a TA, then book it yourself directly thru the cruise line..at least you can have control over your booking. So many people think by booking thru a TA is good in case something goes wrong BUT...

The last time I used the TA (b4 I became one) that I have always used she completely screwed everything up.....We arrived at our destination on Saturday to complete chaos in our reservation...I called the office and do you know what I got?? An Answering machine - no one to help us we were on our own to fix it! This was a big mistake too, as we paid for a suite and we were brought to a room that was 1/2 price. Since the trip had to be paid 45 days prior to check in...we had already paid....and she got a BIG commission (The trip cost us over $15,000 so she got a nice $$) I had to straighten it all out, which took a while - no help from her...actually not even a thank you gift, which I have always done for my clients (champagne, flowers, shipboard credits...whatever). Also this was not the first time she made big mistakes on our bookings...but I thought it's good to book a TA in case something goes wrong. Well, something always went wrong..but unfortunately for me it was always on a weekend, when my TA was off and the very large agency that employs lots of agnents was CLOSED.

So when the same TA offered to "teach" me I took her up on it thinking I would find out all kinds of travel agent know how (and she ahs been a TA for over 40 years). Guess what--If you know how to reasearch...you already know how. Just make the call directly to the hotel or cruise line..and price your trip out a few ways (the hotel/cruise line, a wholesaler or air travel specials, and a high volume TA), get names and numbers and YOU choose the best for you, not someone else telling you what the best is. As you know..sometimes the best price is not always the best deal..but most already know that.

Even with what I know and my experience....I use American Express Platinum Travel Services - believe it or not for most of our vacations. You get 1 person that becomes your personal travel assistant. They have your travel profile on hand, 1 phone call and we are set. The list of ammenities that you get thru them cannot be done by any travel agent anywhere. So again for what it's worth...I use them mostly to book my trips...not myself. From my experience...they cannot be beat - even the high profile TA that I used to use could not do for us what they can (and she works in an AmEx Travel Agency). So when it does not pay to do it "myself" I call AmEx and have them do it. I guess it's like the chef that does not feel like cooking so he goes out for dinner:)

The best thing you can do to insure the best possible vacation for your money is research on your own. Do not rely on someone else's opinion...it's your hard earned time off AND money. I have read so many posts here from people thinking their TA's are some kind of magicians - whipping up these fantastic deals that no one else has. I laugh. I easily look up the "deal" their TA got for them on the cruise's website or by calling the Captains Club (or the like). Also I have gotten great prices, free hotel stays and upgrades for clients....not because of volume (which I DO NOT have) but becasue I work with the rep that I am speaking to. If you make an effort, be nice and ask the right questions it's amazing what you can get for a client.

Travel Agents are a dying breed sad to say and most of the great ones are gone...but with the internet anyone can become their own travel agent. There are so many great travel websites that offer first hand honest information that it makes a TA almost obsolete. The best TA is the recent traveler who gives a detailed trip report. You can find out resort details, prices, 360 ipix views etc...small details that a TA might not even know. Some of these small details may make a big difference to you (for instance did you know that Beaches resort is not actually on the beach??...they offer shuttle service ).

Unless you are spending a TON of money on your cruise...10% is not that big of a deal to have taken off the bottom line. The commission does not include the cost of insurance either, also air is non commissionable. If you take 1 cruise per year it may not be worth it for you, but at least you have a option of finding out.

Glad I could help anyone that wanted the info.

I think this thread has been very informative. I do owe an apology to Cruisin with Marti. My post was over the top. I'm sorry.

Emerald, Yes, there is nothing more frustrating than trying to get a simple answer to a simple question to be told that you have to call the TA. I try to avoid calling the TA with a question that can easily be answered by Celebrity with one phone call rather than calling the TA and have them make the call for me. After all, I am booked on one of their ships and why even have CS if all they do is anwer the phone to tell me to call my TA. On the other side, I have called the Captains Club desk and they have been very helpful at times. Another thing about Customer Service, I think it's probably not a good idea to hire people to answer the phone if they speak very poor English and we can't understand what they are saying. Even worse is to get an attitude when you can't understand what they are saying. :D

After rethinking my last post, yes we do all the research but our TA always beats or matches our best price. Surprisingly so because it is a small office that I located on the internet. We have booked about 12 cruises with him and from the first cruise on, he knows exactly who we are and what our preferences are. Sorry for the backpeddleing but I have to give credit where credit is due.

In this day and age with so many savvy cruisers, I still don't understand why booking directly with the cruiseline is more expensive. Obviously they want the TA to do the work but I'm surprised that they haven't cornered that market yet.

You know all those BIG Agencies.... well I bet they all started small too! Remember HP - they started in their garage & look where they are today. Ther is no crime in starting a bussines on the small side and if the lady wants to be her only client & not earn any money then so be it!

[quote name='Host Walt']This is a good opportunity to reiterate a Host's moderation role on Cruise Critic.

Hosts are not editors. [/QUOTE]

I've seen several instances in the past where you, acting as a host, have simply stated 'Question asked and answered', and subsequently closed the thread. There was no mention in those instances of anything related to community guidelines. I would personally call that 'an edit'. In fact the original poster acknowledged that their question had been asked and answered.

The rest i pointless debate with no value added information.

Tbelian - You may not have gained any "added value", but I certainly have. I'm not going to presume to answer for other members (as some on this thread feel qualified to do), but I sure hope others found it as informative as I have. And since you feel the moderator is not doing his job correctly, have you thought of applying for the position? If not, then I think it's pretty presumptuous to tell him how to do his job.

[quote name='emerald777']Tbelian - You may not have gained any "added value", but I certainly have. I'm not going to presume to answer for other members (as some on this thread feel qualified to do), but I sure hope others found it as informative as I have. And since you feel the moderator is not doing his job correctly, have you thought of applying for the position? If not, then I think it's pretty presumptuous to tell him how to do his job.[/QUOTE]

Directing comments to an individual, rather than to the topic, is borderline violation of 'Community Guidelies'. Specifically: "If you disagree with someone, respond to the subject, not the person. Postings of this nature will be removed from the boards. "

not all posts have to be read.

Also, I was only reminding someone of how they HAD done their job in the past (Question asked, and answered, topic closed).

I think being a moderator is a volunteer position, not a 'job'.

To Whom it may concern :) - No, disagreeing with someone and calling them an A$$ because I disagree with their opinion, is against community guidelines. Expressing my opinion in an nondefamitory way is allowed and what these boards are all about.

[QUOTE] not all posts have to be read.[/QUOTE]
I think this is about the best advice one could take when they no longer care to follow a particular thread. As opposed to suggesting it be closed because one person deems it so.

Kathleen,

Thank you for this information. I like most others here, completely research all of my cruses. I call my T/A and give her the dates, the ship, the acceptable cabin numbers and the best price I have found. I then book my own pre cruise hotel room through Price Line and rental car if needed. I would love to be able to call the cruise line directly to book my own cruise. The 10% would be a nice added touch.

I have looked into some of the sites mentioned such as Global Travel. It is my understanding that you only get an IATA number from them and not a CLIA number. All of our vacation over the last 4 years have been cruises so I don't think the IATA number does much good in getting cruise discounts. I also think they split the commission with you 50/50.

Has anyone joined either Global or Brothers? Are the services you get worth the money?

tbeline,
Sorry, but I would also like to see the topic left open.

Thanks

Ho

[quote name='tbelian']I've seen several instances in the past where you, acting as a host, have simply stated 'Question asked and answered', and subsequently closed the thread. There was no mention in those instances of anything related to community guidelines. I would personally call that 'an edit'. In fact the original poster acknowledged that their question had been asked and answered.

The rest i pointless debate with no value added information.[/QUOTE]
I think you forgot one important element about the "Question asked and answered" closures.

They occur ONLY after:

- The thread goes off in a completely different direction where the OT is no longer the focus. (If a thread starts with a tipping question and, by page 3, it becomes a [b]heated discussion[/b] about chair hogging and there has been no discussion about tipping for several days, that thread is closed. It's a violation of the guidelines to move off topic, but I won't touch posts that wander unless the discussion becomes heated...or a chat between 2 people.

- The thread has a number of posts that are in contravention of the guidelines and have asked the Member(s) (privately by email) to cease making such posts. (Remember, few people will ever see posts that are removed so a thread that appears to be "plain vanilla" may have had a whole lot of pruning to get it that way.) Also, remember, we will never publicly discuss a post or thread on which we have taken any action because it was not consistent with our guidelines.

In other words, "Question asked and answered" means, in most cases, that the discussion was getting out of hand and that the thread was serving only to stir the emotions of a few members.

Yes, Hosts are volunteers with lives outside of Cruise Critic. For time reasons, we have the option to simply remove a whole thread altogether if there is just one guideline issue in a thread. On Celebrity, Anne and I prefer not to yank a thread but let it continue unless and until the thread becomes "terminal." (One recent case was a thread that raised the question about the impact of terror alerts on cruising. About 1/2 of the posts were political in nature (it's Clinton's fault; no it's Bush's fault; no it's Ashcroft's fault; no it's Howdy Doody's fault) and were removed. I posted a request to skip the politics, a second request, then the third time, when the political nonsense continued I closed the thread.)

A lot happens behind the scenes to keep the Boards civil, most of which you will never see.

[quote name='ho']Kathleen,

Thank you for this information. I like most others here, completely research all of my cruses. I call my T/A and give her the dates, the ship, the acceptable cabin numbers and the best price I have found. I then book my own pre cruise hotel room through Price Line and rental car if needed. I would love to be able to call the cruise line directly to book my own cruise. The 10% would be a nice added touch.

I have looked into some of the sites mentioned such as Global Travel. It is my understanding that you only get an IATA number from them and not a CLIA number. All of our vacation over the last 4 years have been cruises so I don't think the IATA number does much good in getting cruise discounts. I also think they split the commission with you 50/50.

Has anyone joined either Global or Brothers? Are the services you get worth the money?

tbeline,
Sorry, but I would also like to see the topic left open.

Thanks

Ho[/QUOTE]

I am sorry but I am not familiar with those. I posted above that CLIA is really a great organization. The yearly fee is really not tremendous, and the other things you may need are a 1 time thing...Fed id#, business cards fax and phone. If you crusie only I would suggest to you to join CLIA yourself. I like the training they give and there is lots of customer support. I have done both seminars and on line training...they make it very very convenient. I also like the fact that you can choose the level of training you wish to achieve.

The discounts on cruises are 10%-that is just on the cost of CRUISE only air and insurance are not commissionable. We are saving a substantial amount on our Alaska cruise next year...so it is worth it for me. You do have to put some time in as CLIA is just not going to hand yo a card every year...you must keep your training current and pay yearly membership fee.

The number of discounts thru CLIA are growing...not only can you save on cruises, but Disney, Universal, Hyatt Hotels, Starwood...etc. There is a big BUT here. you still have to do your research and know your prices. I have found that booking my own vacations with AmEx Plat get me a much better deal than when I try to use my TA discount. With Am Ex we get a free upgrade, early check in - 4pm ck out and a list of ammenities that includes breakfasts, lunches, gifts , flowers ..etc..all of which you do not get with a TA discount. So for the money I have found we get so much more thru AmEx just for paying the lowest hotel rack rate . Since you are automatically upgraded its a great deal. So I just use my CLIA discount for cruises (which makes sense since they are Cruise Lines International Assoc). Hope this helps!

Archived