Apollo Management L.p. Makes Strategic Investment In Oceania Cruises

Jancruz

To Mark, Don H. orchestrapal & others. I was an FAA controller at one time at ORD & would do 1 1/2 packs of those foot long Pall Mall's. in an 8 hr shift. Thank God it's been 20 years since I last lit up and am so happy for cruise lines like "O".

I haven't had any of those "chimney people" on either side our balconies yet and pray my luck continues. It's refreshing to sniff that sea air.

CIAO,

If Oceania-Apollo chose to lessen the present Oceania restricted-non-smoking policy, I would most-likely give up cruising altogether, and turn to land-based vacations. For me cigarette smoke is a quick-acting poison, and that includes the smoke-emanation from smokers themselves.

I am enthusiastic about Oceania and their high standard of excellence, which includes the food, the excursions, and the staff. They are the only cruise line with a restricted-non-smoking policy which includes cabins and balconies. I have made several cruises with Oceania and have bookings for a number more.

I took a cruise on Holland America several years ago, and found that 2/3 of the ship was out-of-bounds for me, due to smoking and smokers. Oceania is therefore the only cruise line for me.

I agree virtually 100% with everyone's stance on smoking on the balconies or in public areas of the ships. I think it would be nice, though, if Oceania were to offer a "cigar lounge" or something along those lines for passengers who may want to enjoy a smoke and a glass of cognac before going to bed.

PS -- wasn't this thread about Oceania being bought out? :-)

PS -- wasn't this thread about Oceania being bought out? :-)

Did they get bought out?:) Guess we just hope they keep things the way they are and don't go over to the dark side.

It seems that O's smoking policy is a major reason many of us keep coming back to them. We just booked a Panama Canal cruise on Regatta (next January), and even though O was a few hundred dollars more than Celebrity's Quest (R-class ship), we opted for O. Just knowing that smoking won't be an issue is certainly a big reason for our selection.

Did they get bought out?:)

From the press release, "Oceania Cruises, Inc. and Apollo Management L.P. ("Apollo") announced today that Apollo has forged a strategic partnership with Oceania Cruises. The transaction, valued at approximately $850 million dollars including the assumption of debt..."

The wording is obscure and there are myriad ways to structure a "strategic partnership" (euphemism for ????), I took it to be that Apollo acquired all or part of the equity in Oceania Cruises.

Fred

From the press release, "Oceania Cruises, Inc. and Apollo Management L.P. ("Apollo") announced today that Apollo has forged a strategic partnership with Oceania Cruises. The transaction, valued at approximately $850 million dollars including the assumption of debt..."

The wording is obscure and there are myriad ways to structure a "strategic partnership" (euphemism for ????), I took it to be that Apollo acquired all or part of the equity in Oceania Cruises. Fred

"The wording is obscure" . . . Pulease! That press release was put through a fine-mesh strainer at the offices of both sides' legal counsel and ad agencies before it ever got put into final form. You wouldn't want a clear and simple statement now, would ya? Can you say hourly billing rates? Of course you can!

Ruby

We are NOT changing the smoking policy, nor anything else for that matter!!

We hope to order additional ships, but if we do, they won't "arrive" until 2010.

And, we nor Apollo has an ad agency, no lawyer "filtered" anything. I drafted the press release all by myself.

NO double talk, no euphimisms, no nuttin!!

It is what it is.

FDR

Mr. Del Rio,

Why did Oceania form this "strategic alliance"? Did Oceania need the money? Was the offer that great? Does somebody want out? Just curious. We're looking forward to our first Oceania cruise this June. Should we be concerned?

Sue and Craig

Mr. Del Rio,

Why did Oceania form this "strategic alliance"? Did Oceania need the money? Was the offer that great? Does somebody want out? Just curious. We're looking forward to our first Oceania cruise this June. Should we be concerned?

Sue and Craig

In case Frank doesnt answer..Companies form alliances every day..it doesnt mean there is a problem, big companies look for great investments all the time and pay obscene amounts of money for them..I for one am thrilled for FDR and the rest of Oceania and look for exciting things to happen in the future..gives us as passengers and TA's something exciting to look forward to!!

Jan

Saga Ruby - guess he told you!

Frank DelRio -give us another tidbit re possible newbuilds. An estimate re tonnage and passenger load would go a long ways to feed our curiosity, along with number of ships. Knowing that 2010 is a possibility is very helpful.

Saga Ruby - guess he told you!

Frank DelRio -give us another tidbit re possible newbuilds. An estimate re tonnage and passenger load would go a long ways to feed our curiosity, along with number of ships. Knowing that 2010 is a possibility is very helpful.

Michael - you always make me laugh! To answer your question, the newbuild for Oceania will be 230,000 gt to beat Project Genesis, it will have a moon rocket launch capability in conjunction with Virgin Galactic (Apollo - get it?!), and a nuclear power plant so that the happy O pax never have to disembark. How 'zat?

Happy sails!

Ruby

You'll never see me on that monster!

I was hoping for something along the lines of the two Cape class packet ships, originally built for the Delta Queen Co., and reportedly recently purchased by Hornblower Yachts. 228 PAX, don't recall tonnage, but tiny.

Actually, you may recall that I said I'd like to see something in the 50,000GRT 1000PAX range, with a liner hull for smooth riding.

Maybe I am just plain Stooopid but.....

I have read the Apollo website page by page and it seems to me that they already run Oceania. Other than the Naval crew everyone else comes from Apollo....as does all the food, booze, etc. All cleaning services are contracted to them. So it would appear that all Oceania actually do is plan the trips and marketing and lease the ships.

Has anyone ever seen O's headquarters ? Probably just 2 rooms in Miami which is why FDR has the time to dwell on here.

Maybe this is my next business move Oceabriana Cruises inc

Brian

I have read the Apollo website page by page and it seems to me that they already run Oceania. Other than the Naval crew everyone else comes from Apollo....as does all the food, booze, etc. All cleaning services are contracted to them. So it would appear that all Oceania actually do is plan the trips and marketing and lease the ships.

There is a difference:

Apollo Management, LP

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_Management

Apollo Ship Chandlers

http://www.apolloships.com/

Fred

Brian, Brian Brian..not stooooopid just looking at the wrong Apollo Company..LOL the one that invested is in New York..and owns Hotels, Linens and things, Jaccuzzi, among many others.

Jan

Actually, you may recall that I said I'd like to see something in the 50,000GRT 1000PAX range, with a liner hull for smooth riding.

My guess is 60,000 GT, 1,250 pax.

So it would appear that all Oceania actually do is plan the trips and marketing and lease the ships.

The ships are owned by Oceania.

Apollo Ship Chandlers is the company that handles the food and beverage services and housekeeping. Apollo also handled the F&B services for Celebrity until 2005 and since 2004 have for Island Cruises (joint venture between Royal Caribbean and First Choice).

The deck and technical management is done by V.Ships who also manage the ships of Regent, Seabourn, Silversea and others.

Hi-

Just my two cents...

I believe given the attractiveness of O's business and the cost of new builds in part because of the exchange rate, I think other lines had an interest in Oceania. I believe that Frank and Joe wanted to keep Oceania independent so that they can do a public offering in the next 12-18 months. One way of looking at the acquisition is that Apollo is playing a transitory role to accomplish this goal, complete with a "poison pill" to disuade any additional suitors. I also find in the absence of such a strategy and given the closely held position of the stock today, that their (Lehman and UBS) collective advice would not be needed or a "fairness opinion" rendered. My guess is that Lehman will be the lead underwriter, with UBS and another investment banker (with strong retail presence) will round out the IPO team.

BTW, I did find it intriquing to say the least that on the January 28 Regatta sailing there was an outside consultant evaluating the power plant, environmental control systems and the like. This kind of activity is usually part of due diligence. I am glad I kept my mouth shut and did not ask any embarrassing questions of Jim Dolan though I was sorely tempted. I also did not offer any conjecture here.

FWIW, I would expect any new builds to be gas turbines with standard propeller and rudder configuration (NO PODS!)

Best regards--

Bill

So basically I am right yet again.......

All I need is say $0.5 billion to buy a couple of ships and then I can choose Apollo Chandlers to run everything. All I have to decide is what level of service I want to provide and you get the relevant staff and provisions.

Is it Apollo or Oceania that we deal with onboard ?

Must get onto the Bank.............

Brian

Archived