Alaska Cruise -Leaving Seattle -who & what time?

dogger

The meal options on NCL have always been enjoyed by me. The Blue Lagoon does have excellent tomato soup. :) I also really like the Mexican Resturant- no cover charge. Overall, food is way down the list for me in Alaska. Certainly sometime of everyone's liking will be available. :)

Don't know if you've seen any of the reviews mentioning the "new" menus that were place on the ships recently. They seem to be getting awfully good remarks from those who have tried them.

I know you don't do "reviews" but I'll be watching your posts, after your return, to try to get a feeling for what you think of the Pearl. But like you've said before, Alaska is about the destination not the ship

I like the itineraries NCL offers, their relaxed atmosphere, their food, ships - and I'll admit it, I have their credit card that has saved me a bunch on their cruises! And after what the stock market did to my retirement fund yesterday, that's important (OUCH). Do I think they're perfect? NO WAY, but it still works quite well for me.

-Monte

Good post. Frankly, any of the cruises is going to offer you an excellent time!!! Enjoy the visit to the varied ports and do what you wish.

I'm going cheap inside cabin on the Pearl, so significantly cheaper than the above's nice balcony room, I'm going to assume?? Less than $1400 for 2 and $1000 in coupons against the price. Final payment was yesterday. There still are some flight deals around, I paid $239 from Syracuse. Flightseeing actually is half the above prices for both floatplanes and helicopters out of Juneau and Ketchikan.

We took an outside cabin, no balcony (HH room, guaranteed rate. I'm new at this, but since there are only 2 HH rooms on the ship, I thought we had a reasonable shot at an upgrade to a better outside). I think our total, with transfers and insurance was about $2500 for 2, but we didn't have any coupons :( . For our flights, I cashed in some FF miles, so we only had to pay for one flight, at about $339 (we weighed in NOT using our FF miles and the cost of two tickets at the cheapest rate, and ultimately, this was still about $150 cheaper than buying 2 tix, AND we get the convenience of flying from our home airport. In pricing out the flightseeing, at least through NCL, it seemed the cheapest we could find was in the $400 range, so we ruled it out. I'm not too excited about flying on a small plane anyway, so I'm happy enough to be doing whale watching or some such thing. Hey, I have to leave other things to do on the NEXT cruise to Alaska :)

Good post. Frankly, any of the cruises is going to offer you an excellent time!!! Enjoy the visit to the varied ports and do what you wish.

I'm going cheap inside cabin on the Pearl, so significantly cheaper than the above's nice balcony room, I'm going to assume?? Less than $1400 for 2 and $1000 in coupons against the price. Final payment was yesterday. There still are some flight deals around, I paid $239 from Syracuse. Flightseeing actually is half the above prices for both floatplanes and helicopters out of Juneau and Ketchikan.

At this point for 2007, pretty slim pickings I'm sure, if a balcony is open....maybe on opposite side of the ship for viewing at this point? Or does it matter the side of the ship? Normally we didn't care as viewing from the ship was not a factor and it's hard telling how they would pull in and out of port?

If you go to a oceanview or inside, is there plenty of deck space to see the sights? We've only done the Balcony and Suites so far, would Alaska be the cruise where it wouldn't be that big of a deal.....or once you go to a balcony or Suite, nO GOING BACK? :eek:

Don't know if you've seen any of the reviews mentioning the "new" menus that were place on the ships recently. They seem to be getting awfully good remarks from those who have tried them.

I know you don't do "reviews" but I'll be watching your posts, after your return, to try to get a feeling for what you think of the Pearl. But like you've said before, Alaska is about the destination not the ship

I like the itineraries NCL offers, their relaxed atmosphere, their food, ships - and I'll admit it, I have their credit card that has saved me a bunch on their cruises! And after what the stock market did to my retirement fund yesterday, that's important (OUCH). Do I think they're perfect? NO WAY, but it still works quite well for me.

-Monte

Actually, I did a review of the Pride of America I took in January. I thought my wonderful time could be of use for others, since there is such a wide range of reviews. I clearly do NOT understand some of the negative complaints?? I've used a boatload of coupons, including 2 on the upcoming Pearl. So cost is less than $400 for 2. Boy, can't beat that with a stick. :)

At this point for 2007, pretty slim pickings I'm sure, if a balcony is open....maybe on opposite side of the ship for viewing at this point? Or does it matter the side of the ship? Normally we didn't care as viewing from the ship was not a factor and it's hard telling how they would pull in and out of port?

If you go to a oceanview or inside, is there plenty of deck space to see the sights? We've only done the Balcony and Suites so far, would Alaska be the cruise where it wouldn't be that big of a deal.....or once you go to a balcony or Suite, nO GOING BACK? :eek:

There is plenty of deck space to consider viewing. I spend all my time out, and outside of the glacier sailing day, the decks essentially are empty. I am out alone very frequently.

For sailing Glacier Bay, I am never bothered by crowds. I often spot wildlife and yell it out, frequently passing my binoculars around. Especially in my May trips, I always see bear and whales. Most people also grossly underestimate the attire needed to be comfortable, so people are always leaving, freeing up space. :) I am out front the entire sailing time here too.

If you want viewing from a balcony you need a port side, so to enjoy the "stops" and commentary.

if you want a balcony, the port side has the views coming up to and pausing longer at the glacers...glacier bay, i know for sure...others have said it's the same for all the glacier viewing.

BQ and my hubby should get together and compare notes.

one trip to hawaii we were upgraded to 1st class, flight was full..we offered to get the next flight but our luggage was on the plane..so they upgraded us instead.. since we had used miles for the trip..that was free 1st class. upgraded on the way home, also. got 1/2 price rooms at the PK, using hyatt points. another trip we got 1/2 off rooms, plus buy 3 nights, get 1 free at the poipou hyatt. gotta love it!!

Actually, I did a review of the Pride of America I took in January. I thought my wonderful time could be of use for others, since there is such a wide range of reviews. I clearly do NOT understand some of the negative complaints?? I've used a boatload of coupons, including 2 on the upcoming Pearl. So cost is less than $400 for 2. Boy, can't beat that with a stick. :)

Rats, I missed your review (or my memories shot & I just don't remember it ;) ) but I'll find it! :D . We want to do an NCLA cruise & I hope to work in some land time as well, probably in Oahu.

Oh I love those coupons. If prices next year run what they have this year I expect our cruise for 3 (inside, on NCL w/Glacier Bay itinery) should run about $250 out of pocket (+tips, excursions, and incidentals of course). I expect to cash 3 coupons. We would consider an upsell (if offered) but they seem to be rare to Alaska. Something about high demand LOL

Another couple months and '08 should be out.

Life is good

-Monte

There is plenty of deck space to consider viewing. I spend all my time out, and outside of the glacier sailing day, the decks essentially are empty. I am out alone very frequently.

For sailing Glacier Bay, I am never bothered by crowds. I often spot wildlife and yell it out, frequently passing my binoculars around. Especially in my May trips, I always see bear and whales. Most people also grossly underestimate the attire needed to be comfortable, so people are always leaving, freeing up space. :) I am out front the entire sailing time here too.

If you want viewing from a balcony you need a port side, so to enjoy the "stops" and commentary.

Couple questions: where'd you get the coupons used for $400 for 2 people?

Now the port side of the boat is the left side, going north, that would make it the west side-toward the ocean?

Where's the best viewing, you say upfront, do you mean the front of the ship where the helicoptor pad is?

We're from Wisconsin, we have 2 seasons, Winter and road construction

Where do I find said coupons? Am I too late if I've already booked?

Couple questions: where'd you get the coupons used for $400 for 2 people?

Now the port side of the boat is the left side, going north, that would make it the west side-toward the ocean?

Where's the best viewing, you say upfront, do you mean the front of the ship where the helicoptor pad is?

We're from Wisconsin, we have 2 seasons, Winter and road construction

Bank of America has a NCL credit card that you earn points with. 3 points per $100. You can redeem them for $500 off = 500 points. I will be paying less than $400 for 2 because I redeemed $1000 in coupons.

Yes port side is the left side. This is only important IF you only want to view Glacier Bay from your cabin. I like front upper decks. If there is one below the bridge- I'M THERE!!!! :) I have not seen the lower front decks open to passengers on the NCL ships I have sailed Alaska with.

For sailing Glacier Bay, I am never bothered by crowds. I often spot wildlife and yell it out,

And if the deck is crowded, go to the other side and yell out "WHALE" when everyone rushes to that side, just sneak over to your preferred spot ;) .

No folks, don't get excited. I'm kidding (or am I?)

BTW-You do your viewing from the same spot I do. You forgot on the BoA card that the rate is 4% on NCL purchases.

-Monte

Rats, I missed your review (or my memories shot & I just don't remember it ;) ) but I'll find it! :D . We want to do an NCLA cruise & I hope to work in some land time as well, probably in Oahu.

Oh I love those coupons. If prices next year run what they have this year I expect our cruise for 3 (inside, on NCL w/Glacier Bay itinery) should run about $250 out of pocket (+tips, excursions, and incidentals of course). I expect to cash 3 coupons. We would consider an upsell (if offered) but they seem to be rare to Alaska. Something about high demand LOL

Another couple months and '08 should be out.

Life is good

-Monte

Hawaii is another story it seems for availablity. My rate was less that $500 for the cruise- inside booking, then I ended up with a balcony, upgraded on the ship. And no, I didn't ask. :)

We have done NCL to Alaska, and would do it again in a heartbeat. We cruised in early September, and only had one day of drizzle; otherwise, perfect weather the entire 7 days.

Given other options, however, Princess would be our second choice because of the Anytime Dining option.

We like the flexibility of anytime and freestyle. It simply works for us.

We loved everything about NCL.

The Jewel also has a wonderful promenade deck on deck 7. Since the Pearl is a sister ship to the Jewel, I'm assuming that the Pearl will have that same feature. We spent LOTS of time out there on our Jewel cruise to the eastern Caribbean, and I'm hoping to do the same for our upcoming Alaska trip on the Pearl.

I'm definitely not in the category of people who say that once you have a balcony you can't go back. Following our balcony on the Sun 2 1/2 years ago, we've been in 2 outside cabins and are booked in an inside on the Pearl. If it's a difference between a balcony and no shore excursions, or an inside and more excursions, I'd happily sail in a closet, as long as it had a bed and a bathrom.

I also think that freestyle dining works great in Alaska. There were several occasions on the Sun where we were really enjoying the scenery, and would have hated to have to be to dinner at a specific time. For me, that's a huge plus for sailing NCL to Alaska.

Any of the ships out of Seattle are fairly good. The R/T cruises out of Vancouver are much better as they go on the east side of Vancouver Island instead of in the open ocean that can get very rough at tiems. I was on the HAL Ooosterdam last July and the naturalist was completely worthless-only seen her the first night when she gave her global warming talk at the end of the show. Nowhere to be seen after that even though the schedule said she would be in certain places. She was completely uninformed when questions were asked to her.

Archived