Why Denver TV Stations??

LakeErieLive

Just got back from the Liberty cruise 2/11 and just wondering why they use Denver as their cbs,nbc,abc,fox outlet....not complaining just wondering....It was a bit spooky to see them reporting morning rush hour problems with the ice and snow when we were hunting for a shade tree.......Is the timing of the shows the reason???

Just got back from the Liberty cruise 2/11 and just wondering why they use Denver as their cbs,nbc,abc,fox outlet....not complaining just wondering....It was a bit spooky to see them reporting morning rush hour problems with the ice and snow when we were hunting for a shade tree.......Is the timing of the shows the reason???

Sometimes its Denver,Erie PA or Nashville TN..not sure if there is a rhyme or reason to which affiliates are chosen.

I noticed when the signal gets out of the foot print, the discrambler kicks in and says Videocipher II etc. This type of subscription is from a C Band Satellite system, these you can only get from a company like Netlink and a few others that still carry Videocipher II C-Band satellite transmissions. And when you subscribe, those are the stations they have to offer.

Go here and check it out: http://cband.winnfreenet.com/networks.php

and http://cband.winnfreenet.com/home.php

C-band Satellite systems are the ones you used to see with the 10 foot dishes, there are over 33 Satellites the circle over the Equator, south of us. The statellites transmit a broadband signal but only at around 12 watts, they have a life span of close to 12 years up in space before they become space junk. Anyways since the ship is always on the move and since they rock this is the best type of signal used to keep the antenna or Dish focused since the Foot Print of this signal is pretty wide. But as you can see sometimes you can see the Snow in the picture as the ship starts to leave that foot print.

Direct TV and Dish Network pretty much replaced the Big 10 Foot C-BAND systems because the dishes are small, around the size of a dinner plate. Direct TV and Dish Network are in the KU-Band Satellite Frequency Spectrum. These satellites are in the 60 to 100 watt range but the Signal Foot Print is extremely small. This is why it would not work on a ship.

Fred

We loved it when we sailed the Liberty in December, YEP we are from Denver, got see the Broncos play on Sunday becasue of the local feed, also was able to see what type of weather we would be flying home to. Sorry just a HOMER I guess. LOL:)

I asked that question to the Cruise director on the Celebration. He told me a lot of people ask the same question and the answer I got was that was the sat alight package Carnival bought. The price was good. They get a lot on the comment cards about the TV

I asked that question to the Cruise director on the Celebration. He told me a lot of people ask the same question and the answer I got was that was the sat alight package Carnival bought. The price was good. They get a lot on the comment cards about the TV

LOL, As I stated before, for the equipment they have onboard that is the only option they get since the Denver stations are the only ones left on the Videocipher system you can subscribe too, WSEE is also avaliable too. They would have to upgrade to a newer 4DTV Satellite receiver to get more Cities. The 4DTV receiver gets analog, videocipher and digicipher signal. With the 4DTV you can score up to 800 channels, including Canadian and Mexican stations.

This is the package here: http://cband.winnfreenet.com/networks.php

When we cruised RCCL, we were salivating for ANY network channel! They had NONE! :mad:

That was my big complaint with RCCL. I assumed the same would be true for Carnival. We travel with our kids and are in our cabin by 10 pm on most nights. It would be good to have networks and not just espn international :mad: and cnn international. :mad:

No, it's because the satellite feed originates from the teleport in Denver.

Denver stations work just fine for me:D My family is in Northern Colorado, and we are in NM, so it works out great.

I will NEVER forget the time that I was packing, last night of the cruise. I had some satellite channel on the tube, I'm jamming to my walkman...du, du ,du

All of a sudden I see a ticker that says EDGEWOOD NEW MEXICO>>>>>

I flipped! My girls were staying with my neighbor/best friend, and of course it just had to be about them:eek:

BUT...it wasn't. There were 11 illeagal aliens who were killed when the driver fell asleep. It made the international news, but if you knew how small EDGEWOOD was...you'd know why I was freaked. There were no grocery stores then, no stop lights, just cows, and corn/bean farms. yeee haaaaw! Call me a redneck!

When we cruised RCCL, we were salivating for ANY network channel! They had NONE! :mad:

this is also true on a Princess cruise last week- No regular tv stations except CNN in ENglish and CNN in spanish. 2 channels with cartoons and one playing old reruns of shows like Frasier, everybody loves Raymond, Friends, etc. Nothing else except advertisement channels.

I for one would have appreciated a Denver station.

Two reasons for this come to mind:

1) It was a less expensive package than others.

2) On the Denver weather they rarely discuss the Caribbean. This way you can't see the satellite shot of all the rain you are heading into.. and then cancel your ship sponsored excursion for the next day.... :rolleyes:

That's my conspiracy theory...

:D

Tom

On the Glory I didn't notice the network channel. I got stuck on the Captain's report channel every time I turned it on. That channel was full of it though. We had a pretty windy/rainy night and the whether said cloudy and the sees were 1-4 foot waves. Seemed alot rougher then that.

Archived