Best Freeways to take?

mattR

Have a gps but sometimes they don't know the best route so which are the best freeways to take from:

San Pedro to Knotts

Knotts to Burbank (Bob Hope Airport)

Universal Studios to LAX (Or is it better to skip the freewys on this one?)

Have a gps but sometimes they don't know the best route so which are the best freeways to take from:

San Pedro to Knotts

I hope you realize that Southern California is very widespread. If I were you, I would check out a map (mapquest will give you a good idea).

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?searchtype=address&country=US&addtohistory=&searchtab=home&formtype=address&popflag=0&latitude=&longitude=&name=&phone=&level=&cat=&address=&city=Los+Angeles&state=CA&zipcode=#south

(I hope that gives you what's in another window on my computer: I typed in Los Angeles and went a bit wider).

I'm sure someone will give you the numbers for the best freeways. If you're looking at a map and are perplexed as to where everything is:

San Pedro will be west of Long Beach. Knotts Berry Farm is in Buena Park which is to the west of Fullerton and Anaheim. So you'll need to travel to the northeast.

From KBF to Burbank, the 5 is the most direct route. The airport is right off the 5 around Glenoaks or San Fernando Road.

Universal City is in the Valley and there's not a good route via surface streets to LAX. You'll want to get onto the 134 going west, which turns into the 101 (it may say north but you're really going west) toward "Ventura". Stay over to the right on the 101 and you'll take the 405 going south toward Santa Monica. Keep on that until you see the LAX sign. Hopefully, you're not going there during a holiday time or during rush hour time (which is basically all day long during the week, sorry).

San Pedro to Knotts

1) San Pedro to Knotts. Take the 110 (Harbor Frwy) north to the 91 (Gardena Frwy). Go east on the 91 to Beach (Highway # 39). So south on Beach to Knotts.

2) Knotts to Burbank airport. Take Beach north (back towards the 91). Pass under the 91 Frwy. Continue north to the 5 (Santa Ana Frwy). Go north on the 5 to Buena Vista. The airport is to the west of the exit. However, you go south on Buena Vista to Thorton and then west on Thorton right into the airport.

3) Universal Studios to LAX. Not the easiest one. You could take the 101 (Hollywood Frwy) south to the 110 (Harbor Frwy) and take the 110 south to the 105 (Anderson Frwy). Take the 105 west to the airport.

Or, this is shorter, but a little more complex. Take the 101 (Hollywood Frwy) to the 101 (Ventura Freeway). If you stay on the 101, it becomes the 170 (you don't want to go on the 170), so you are actually exiting the freeway to another freeway even though the numbers stay the same (I told you it was more complex). Then you take the 101 west to the 405 (San Diego Freeway). Go south on the 405 to Century Blvd. Take Century west to the airport.

Or, even shorter (and even more complex). South on Cahuenga (a surface street just on the west side of the 101 Frwy). Cahuenga then becomes Highland. Continue on Highland south past Sunset Blvd. Anywhere between Sunset and Wilshire (where Highland ends) go west to La Brea. Go south on La Brea until you get to the 10 (Santa Monica Frwy). Go west on the 10 to the 405 (San Diego Frwy). South on the 405 to Century. Century west to the airport.

When on the 101, don't take the 170. That goes up toward Van Nuys. Used to drive home everyday from the Hollywood area to North Hollywood years ago. Past Universal City. I would take the 170 north to get home...the opposite direction of going to the airport for sure.

Cuizer's directions are generally good, but a few additional notes:

2) Knotts to Burbank airport. Take Beach north (back towards the 91). Pass under the 91 Frwy. Continue north to the 5 (Santa Ana Frwy). Go north on the 5 to Buena Vista. The airport is to the west of the exit. However, you go south on Buena Vista to Thorton and then west on Thorton right into the airport.

Depending on time of day, you may hit a lot of traffic...This skirts you right to the Eastern edges of Downtown LA...BUT, it is pretty much unavoidable...other routes take you right through downtown or go miles out of your way...sorry...

3) Universal Studios to LAX. Not the easiest one. You could take the 101 (Hollywood Frwy) south to the 110 (Harbor Frwy) and take the 110 south to the 105 (Anderson Frwy). Take the 105 west to the airport.

The caveat here, again, is time of day,...you are backtracking only slightly (and it is the most direct all-freeway route) but that backtrack takes you right through the heart of Downtown LA (and if it's baseball season, check the Dodger scedule...you go right by the stadium as well)

Or, this is shorter, but a little more complex. Take the 101 (Hollywood Frwy) to the 101 (Ventura Freeway). If you stay on the 101, it becomes the 170 (you don't want to go on the 170), so you are actually exiting the freeway to another freeway even though the numbers stay the same (I told you it was more complex). Then you take the 101 west to the 405 (San Diego Freeway). Go south on the 405 to Century Blvd. Take Century west to the airport.

The 101 and 170 split right after you get on at Universal...stick to the Right lanes and the signs that say "Ventura-101" not the ones that say "Ventura Blvd."...This actually may be the EASIEST way from Universal to LAX.

Or, even shorter (and even more complex). South on Cahuenga (a surface street just on the west side of the 101 Frwy). Cahuenga then becomes Highland. Continue on Highland south past Sunset Blvd. Anywhere between Sunset and Wilshire (where Highland ends) go west to La Brea. Go south on La Brea until you get to the 10 (Santa Monica Frwy). Go west on the 10 to the 405 (San Diego Frwy). South on the 405 to Century. Century west to the airport.

Okay...this one's really just for the "locals"...or the brave and intrepid...but, in case you fit that description, allow me to make some adjustments in Cuizer's route:

Highland does NOT end at Wilshire...it continues across Wilshire and actually ends well to the south...Continue across Willshire...and across Olympic where Edgewood splits off Highland to the right...Take Edgewood to La Brea and turn left...Stay on La Brea PAST the 10 (No reason to jog all the way over to the 405--you've come this far on surface streets and you're that close already...Go all the way to Stocker and turn right, then a left on La Cienega...South on La Cienega to La Tijera and bear right on La Tijera, left on Sepulveda and right into the airport...

As convoluted as that route sounds, it is easily the STRAIGHTEST route from Universal to LAX...virtually a straight line...Of course, you deal with lots of traffic lights and local traffic...and all sorts of opportunities to miss a turn and get lost...so I only recommend it to locals who really know these streets well...but, distance-wise, it shaves several miles off the trip...and avoids freeways altogether...

Good luck...

Cuizer's directions are generally good, but a few additional notes:

Depending on time of day, you may hit a lot of traffic...This skirts you right to the Eastern edges of Downtown LA...BUT, it is pretty much unavoidable...other routes take you right through downtown or go miles out of your way...sorry...

I thought about the traffic, but I didn't see anyway around it.

The caveat here, again, is time of day,...you are backtracking only slightly (and it is the most direct all-freeway route) but that backtrack takes you right through the heart of Downtown LA (and if it's baseball season, check the Dodger scedule...you go right by the stadium as well)

Wish I though about the traffic for this route. You are correct. If the Dodgers are playing, don't go this way.

The 101 and 170 split right after you get on at Universal...stick to the Right lanes and the signs that say "Ventura-101" not the ones that say "Ventura Blvd."...This actually may be the EASIEST way from Universal to LAX.

It is easiest if you don't get lost in that interchange.

Okay...this one's really just for the "locals"...or the brave and intrepid...but, in case you fit that description, allow me to make some adjustments in Cuizer's route:

Highland does NOT end at Wilshire...it continues across Wilshire and actually ends well to the south...Continue across Willshire...

Well I'll be. You are correct. I've driven there and used a map when posting the instructions and I always thought Highland ended at Wilshire.

As convoluted as that route sounds, it is easily the STRAIGHTEST route from Universal to LAX...virtually a straight line...Of course, you deal with lots of traffic lights and local traffic...and all sorts of opportunities to miss a turn and get lost...so I only recommend it to locals who really know these streets well...but, distance-wise, it shaves several miles off the trip...and avoids freeways altogether...

If the freeways are bad (which only happens on days that end in "y") this might be the best route. I thought of describing a complete surface street route, but then figured if the person was from out of town, simplicity counted. You describe it well. Follow it and LAX is on your right. Miss a turn and the next airport you see might be Long Beach (which will be on your left).

Good luck...

I agree. :)

Just popping in to say that I've just begun the planning process for our trip in May and I have read an absolute wealth of info from the three of you in a very short time. You are all very generous with your time and knowledge. Thank you for that! I promise to listen to all suggestions as given.:D

Archived