Mercury San Diego ???

andersonsrus

We are considering the Mexican Riv departing on April 6th and arriving a day earlyand staying an extra day so we can see the zoo and San Diego itself since we have never been.

This is our thoughts.

Come in a day early to avoid traveling hassels.

Kind of explore San Diego itself.

Need hotel advice. Is the Port of San Diego near the Airport etc.

Crusing on the Mercury April 6-13 arriving back in San Diego on the 13th

Say in a hotle and visit the zoo on the 13th.

Hotel advice needed here to. Stay near Pier, Zoo airport.

Also what temps can we expect. SOmeone told me will be sorry if we take this cruise because the weather will be bad...Input

number 1 we dont have bad weather in San Diego weather in April should be just great.

The airport, cruise terminal and zoo are all in downtown San Diego. The cruise terminal is about 10minute cab ride from the airport and the zoo is right in Balboa Park which is about a 10minute cab ride from the cruise terminal. There are lots of hotels down on the bay; a lot of people taking or returning from a cruise stay at the Holiday Inn on the Bay which is right across the highway from the cruise terminal - you can watch ships come in. There is also the Midway aircraft carrier museum right there and also a sea museum with an old steel hulled sailing ship and other craft.

Take a look at the board for west coast departures and you will find all kinds of hotel discussion and recommendations and also some email sites you can use to get further info. Also look at the San Diego story that is currently on the Cruise Critic front page and has suggested itineraries for 3 day stay here. You will love it - it is called "America's Finest City"

average yearly rainfall about 9 inches temps in April should be high 70s low 80s whomever gave you the info on weather does not know what they are talking about.:)

I stayed in San Diego for a couple of days before the cruise and loved it there. A lot of our group stayed at the Holiday Inn on the Bay (care - there is another hotel called Holiday Inn Bayside which is not the same one) and we had a nice stay. You can see the ship coming in across the street and there are some eating places nearby.

The HIOTB ran a free shuttle to the zoo and we spent a really nice day there.

Phil

I lived in San Diego for 24 years I remember weather in April being cloudy and cool. So I looked it up on the internet and the average high in April is 68 degrees with a 46% chance of cloud cover. Bring a light jacket.

Hi, I have sailed the Mexican Riveria before and will be

going again in 2 weeks:)

There might be a slight chill going south.....from that Sea of Japan

jetstream, but once you get to the first port......Mexico

is hot.

Just bring a light jacket...or sweater....or both;)

The last time I was in San Diego was back in 2001

and I look forward to seeing it again:D

I have always been told San Diego has the best

weather in the USA:)

Something that was important to us was free shuttle, free breakfast, good prices, and cleanliness.

I did some research and finally booked with Hampton Inn (the one on Greenview Dr). It has a free shuttle that will pick you up from the airport and will also take you most anywhere within a reasonable distance which is great for us.

DH and I are also coming in early April and have decided to stay a few days before sailing.

Prices are good for that time of year (compared to neighboring hotels) and if you google it, you will find it got good reviews.

Here is the site if you want to see for yourself. http://hamptoninn.hilton.com/en/hp/hotels/index.jhtml;jsessionid=TAYIEXU43FKGGCSGBIW222QKIYFCVUUC?moreDesc=true&ctyhocn=SANGWHX

Good luck and enjoy your vacation!

Celeste

Hi there,

We are going on that exact cruise and we live in San Diego.

The Holiday Inn is one of the closest hotels and very convenient if you don't want to rent a car, but there are a lot of hotels in the downtown area. I don't know if you will find a lot cheaper one close to the port. Many in the downtown area are pretty pricey - especially since that is around Spring Break time. There is a Hampton Inn (1531 Pacific Highway) and a Best Western (555 West Ash Street) in the general area but I can't tell you much about those hotels although they may be a bit cheaper than the HI.

As far as weather goes - it really depends. We have had some warm early Aprils, but it is not uncommon to have a cold storm go through that time of year. We actually had snow at our house a few years ago at that time (but we live in the mountains not by the ocean so the worst you will have down there is rain) So bring a light jacket, sweater for sure. Hopefully it will be clear, warm and beautiful - heck we had a few days in January where it was nearly 80 degrees! Only 5 weeks and counting! :)

The Best Western Bayside is about three blocks or so from the pier, and has a free airport / pier shuttle. Prices were a lot less than the Holiday Inn, as long as I have been looking. For March 17-18 when we are going, they had a regular rate of $119 and if you are in AAA or are a senior (55+ I think) the rate was $95 or so. Makes we wish I were older.

IMHO, paying $170 a night for that older Holiday Inn on the Bay is not worth it! You can do better. Many people have gotten it on Priceline for $85, which is reasonable.

We cruised out of San Diego in January. We arrived two days early and stayed at the Holiday Inn on the Bay. The location can't be beat, and they take you anywhere you want to go, including picking you up at the airport and delivering you to the terminal and UNLOADING YOUR BAGGAGE. We bid on Priceline and got a nice room, overlooking the bay, and watched the Mercury and other ships come in to port. Our price was $85.00 for both nights.

Have a GRAND time on your cruise, you will love the Mercury. The food was so good and the service excellent.

Beth in Georgia

We stayed at the Best Western Bayside, about three blocks from the pier. Their shuttle picked us up at the airport, and the next day took us to the pier. They gave us a coupon for a free continental breakfast, which can also be used towards a discount for a larger breakfast. It was about $100 including tax. I must mention a great little Italian Resturant about 7-8 blocks away in Little Italy. The name is Fillippe's. It appears to be a little hole in the wall. It was the best homeade spaghetti we had ever eaten. Total bill for the two of us was about $20, (total)!

You will love the Mercury and the cruise. We just came back about a little under two weeks ago. The best vacation we have had yet! Enjoy!

Archived