Ok Ladies, but again another packing question?

marcyjane

Ok ladies I need your help. Just to let you know, I'm going to post on the Carnival board as well just in case more people might sit this post there as well.

Ok, last cruise was myself and DH, so he carried the hanging garment bag.

This cruise in September is a (hen's, girls get a way cruise).:)

I do the layer packing from packing light web site that everyone suggested before our last cruise and I use the dry cleaning bags as well.

Here my promblem, with just me trying to manage luggage this time (one large, one small, one carryon + camera bag & purse) I was going to try and elimate the hanging garment bag.

I know, I'm crazy just 50+ days out, but was trying to do a trial run on packing the large luggage today to make sure I wouldn't be over the weight limit.

I've been reading on the boards where some of you pack leaving the clothes on the hangers with the dry cleaning bags (which I use anyway) between things.

But the layer packing don't seem to be working for me with the hangers, they just seem to be getting in the way and taking up more room.

So girls, give me your suggestion (how to you all pack and leave hangers on).:confused:

Thanks in advance for you suggestions.:)

Sherry

Hi.:) .Trying to re-read your post...and understand your problem...are you saying you cannot fit the hanging clothes into the suitcase?

I sail solo so I carry everything myself and I never bring a hanging garment bag...but that is just me.

I have a regular size suitcase and a carry on....maybe my clothes are shorter? LOL..just kidding...but...everything seems to always fit. Now, the things that are on hangers get packed last...and you can fold the bottom...it should still have few to no wrinkles....in other words If I have a pants suit that I am packing...its in the dry cleaner bag...it goes in length wise and the bottom of the slacks get folded..and they fit into the luggage with no problem:)

Again, the items in the bags go in on top of everything else.....

I hope this has helped you a bit...have a great cruise:D

My suitcase has a removeable suiter, we just leave things on the hangers that go in there. The rest of the clothing gets hung on hangers when we unpack.

One word of caution, you are allowed one carry on plus one personal item (on the plane, not the ship). You are either going to have to pack the camera bag, or the purse, in the carry on. If I were you, I would try to eliminate the small suitcase too. It will be very difficult for you to maneuver two suitcases, a carry on, a purse plus a camera bag.

Since you have all the bags out trying to figure your packing scheme, try moving all this stuff around with only you to manage it. I know it may mean cutting down on shoes or a few articles of clothing, but trust me, you don't want to be floundering around with all those bags, there will be some moments you will have to take charge of everything yourself. No cheating, fill those bags to the weight you will be taking.

Happy KS,

I took you advise and have elimated the extra carry on.

Thanks, I wouldn't have know that until I got to the airport.

What about check in luggage on the plane can you have (one large and one small).

thanks,

Hi:) yes, you can check 2 bags....I have one I check..and one carry on..but if you don't want to bring anything on the plane....just check both of them! I prefer to have a carry on with me...just in case........

I always have a change of clothes in that carry on bag...clean undergarments...deodorant etc....you just never know...if that big luggage gets delayed for whatever reason......I feel like it is better to be safe than sorry.

Well, Girls Thanks a lot,

I just got finished with my trial run packing and everything fits in (one large, Yeah!! under 50lbs weight limit, one small ) to check in at the airport. To go on the plane I will carry on the camera bag and my purse.

Once I get my luggage from the baggage area at the airport the camera bag will attach to one of the other pieces of luggage that is on rollers so I should be ok.

Also there is still room for any purchases, of course there want be a lot I don't think, just little things maybe.:)

Thanks again so much your gals are the greatest;) here on this board. Your always so nice and caring to answer all my dumb question or concerns.

Thanks,

Sherry;)

Sherry,

I have an additional suggestion for the carry-on part.

You say you're carrying a purse and a camera-case. My suggestion would be for a purse and then a carry-on bag that your camera case fits into. Then I would pack some clean underwear, toiletries and enough clothes for a day or two.....as Lois says....Just in case.

I'd never have ALL my clothes on the plane and then none with me in the event of delayed or lost luggage.

Jane

I definitely agree. I would have a carry on that I could slip over my shoulder in addition to my purse so that I could bring a change of underwear, a bathing suit, basic toilet articles, any meds you may take etc. If the bag can go over your shoulder and you can put the camera case into it, you will still be able to manage all of your luggage by yourself.

Have a great cruise.

I too agree. I don't carry a purse when flying any more. The carry-on/tote bag can hold your change purse, tickets/docs and photo ID's, a few necessities and jewelery and maybe your camera. Put all sharps in your checked luggage along with a small evening purse. They will let you carry a small camera bag and a small tote bag instead of a purse.

Bon Voyage

Hi 7:)...and I am glad I am glad others agree with me about the extra clothes...and I learned first hand....:(

When I sailed in March...I flew to San Francisco......and when I flew home...they made us get off the plane (motor problems) and everything was delayed. I missed my connecting flight in Atlanta...all the luggage was delayed!

Thankfully I had a carry on...clean undies, toiletries...and some clean slacks and top too:)

Delta had our luggage later that evening and it did make it here to Jax with me but I had to stay in Atlanta overnight!

Things happen......and that extra change of clothing is invaluable!

Ok girls, you talked me into a carryon. After reading your last few post I've went to the basement were our luggage is stored and found one of my son's old college bags that will hold the camera case and extra clothes.

Thanks for taking care of me.;)

Marcyjane...I am glad you are doing that:) I wouldn't want you to be in the same position I was in...and not have any clothes with you! Better to be safe than sorry!

Another suggestion, for the 2 suitcases you check. Most rolling luggage will have a little hook or loop on it to "piggyback" the smaller of the 2. This makes it much easier when you have to deal with everything on your own.

Have a great cruise.

JoAnn

Archived