Why Eggcrate foam pad on bed??

BarbMatt

I just made a request for a eggcrate mattress topper, but only made my request for 1.

Are the beds that hard that 2 eggcrates are necessary? Since there do not seem to be enough to go around, I did not want to hog them so that others may not get one.

[quote name='ryanic']Will you be able to sleep without an eggcrate mattress???[/quote]

That probably depends on what you are used to at home. Some find the beds very comfortable, but others, such as us, find them impossible. We always request the double egg crate mattress pad, it makes it tolerable, although my DH would bed to argue that point. For me, with the mattress pads, they are fine.

[quote name='lady45']Just wondering how do they sanitize the egggrates between sailings?[/quote]

They don't. The time we got the last one since we did not pre-request it, the steward put them under the beds. Under the beds aren't that sanitary either if you look.

Some day Princess will change the mattresses to the comfortable ones to keep up with the competition. I can't figure out how some people would say the beds are comfortable as they are unless they are use to sleeping on those types of beds at home.

I think it might be interesting to know which ships have been refurbished (i.e. new bedding, etc). For example, the beds on the new Royal Princess were wonderful, whereas the Golden's weren't that great. Does anyone know whether there's such a list of ships available?

[quote name='jonikal'] Does anyone know whether there's such a list of ships available?[/quote]

I don't think there is such a list, but we can start one :)

In the last year or so, I can honestly tell you that the Caribbean, Golden, Sea and Dawn Princess do not have any new mattresses in the full or mini suites. They have the new bedd[B]ing[/B], duvet, sheets and pillows. But that is like putting a duvet on a camping cot. IMHO

OK, I must have made a boo boo. I guess I thought I had requested it, since it was there when we arrived. Horray Benjamin (our Cabin Steward) you are the best!!!! I've heard that the CB is going to drydock in April, so hopefully the beds will be refurbished at that time... but honestly, my DH and I slept really well. Maybe it was the rocking of the ocean.... just lulled us to sleep. I haven't slept that well since I got home. (must be the stress of work i guess!!!)

Any day or night on a cruise is better than a day or night at home with the stress of work, paying bills, etc......

[quote name='jonikal']I think it might be interesting to know which ships have been refurbished (i.e. new bedding, etc). For example, the beds on the new Royal Princess were wonderful, whereas the Golden's weren't that great. Does anyone know whether there's such a list of ships available?[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=indigo]I suspect the beds on the Royal were wonderful because they weren't originally Princess's beds, but Renaissance Cruise Lines' beds. No doubt the Tahitian and the Pacific have better beds, too. [/COLOR][/FONT]

We have had a brand new mattress before and it wasn't comfortable. Its all in what you are use to. We sleep on a Tempur Pedic at home and the aero bed was very comfortable. It was great not waking up in the morning feeling we had slept on rocks.

[quote name='flvol77']We have had a brand new mattress before and it wasn't comfortable. Its all in what you are use to. We sleep on a Tempur Pedic at home and the aero bed was very comfortable. It was great not waking up in the morning feeling we had slept on rocks.[/quote]

OK, fess up, you own a Tempur Pedic franchise right?:D I have seen mention of that several times. ;)

We have had a brand new mattress before and it wasn't comfortable. Its all in what you are use to. We sleep on a Tempur Pedic at home and the aero bed was very comfortable. It was great not waking up in the morning feeling we had slept on rocks.

How did you use an aero bed in the cabin? Isn't that one of those air beds? Where did you put it? I'm picturing an air mattress (only higher and better) that is sitting on top of the regular bed. Wouldn't that make the bed to high?

I suspect the beds on the Royal were wonderful because they weren't originally Princess's beds, but Renaissance Cruise Lines' beds. No doubt the Tahitian and the Pacific have better beds, too.

When we sailed on the TP, we had no problem at all. You might have something there as I am sure they are the old Renaissance beds we slept in.

How did you use an aero bed in the cabin? Isn't that one of those air beds? Where did you put it? I'm picturing an air mattress (only higher and better) that is sitting on top of the regular bed. Wouldn't that make the bed to high?

Was it a little High? Sure but it was great. We have fixed our bedding problem thanks to my wife.

The new areo beds are nice, especially the ones with the tempur pedic topper on them. They have the air pump built inside. We just plug it in and blew the mattress up, put the sheets on it and the comforter and we had a nice mattress with sheets on it with in 5 mins. The room steward just laughed.

Was it a little High? Sure but it was great. We have fixed our bedding problem thanks to my wife.

The new areo beds are nice, especially the ones with the tempur pedic topper on them. They have the air pump built inside. We just plug it in and blew the mattress up, put the sheets on it and the comforter and we had a nice mattress with sheets on it with in 5 mins. The room steward just laughed.

I really think next time you need to take a picture to share with us! Or maybe we could start requesting they take the mattress from the room so we can bring our areobeds! I am not kidding. Something has to get their attention!

I really think next time you need to take a picture to share with us! Or maybe we could start requesting they take the mattress from the room so we can bring our areobeds! I am not kidding. Something has to get their attention!

I can't believe I didn't do that, its on our DVD - When I post our dvd on line I will link you guys up to it.

Got off the Star last week. We were in a balcony cabin--not minisuite. Had requested an eggcrate and it actually was on our personalizer. It was not in the cabin upon arrival but steward put one on when she turned down the bed the first night. The mattress was horrible and would have been even worse without the eggcrate. On the LAST night of the cruise we got back from Florence to find brand new mattresses. But if you don't like a very firm mattress, be sure and request an eggcrate. They did have the duvet "blanket" but still used the old bedspreads during the day.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived