Rio hotels - recent stays?

Toots

Any recent experience with Rio hotels pre-cruise? There's a lot of info on this board about hotels but it may be outdated. We stayed at the Marina Palace in Leblon before, but their prices are now over $200. We like the Leblon-Ipanema area. Any hotels with airport pick-up?

We stayed at the lovely Sofitel Hotel on Copacabana Beach. It is down the end nearest to Ipanema and is in a great position. We spent 2 nights there before flying up to the Iguazu Falls and one night on our return before boarding our ship. This was in January of last year. We could not fault the hotel.

Jennie

• 1 month later...

I can now answer my own question - we stayed at the Best Western Sol Ipanema April 4th for $165 plus $27 in taxes for city view (backs of buildings). The hotel was just OK, there is basically no lobby because of construction, but the room was very clean. Great breakfast and great location across from Ipanema beach.

Stayed at the Marriott on Copacabana Beach right on Atlantic Ave last October. The rooms were a bit small but the service was pretty good. We were staying on Marriott points so I am not sure about the cost / night.

Just use the fixed price cabs from the airport to your hotel. No reservations are required and the cost isn't all that high.

• 2 weeks later...

We stayed at the Ipanema Plaza hotel. It is about 1/3 of a block from the beach. It was a very nice hotel, well located to get to the shops and restaurants in Ipanema and the hippie market. They treated us very well.

jc

• 2 weeks later...

Now that the US $ has dropped to R$ 1.90 all hotels are going to be more expensive.

The cost of a safe metered cab from GIG to zona sul ( Lebblon, Ipanema, etc) is R$ 40. They are easily accessible when you step out of the terminal. It is not necessary to pay hotel cars 3 times that for airport pickup.

We just stayed at the Sofitel, and it was superb. We were able to find a promotional rate on their web site. The hotel was recently refurbished.

Just checked their website. They are expensive (for me that is). Two nights were quoted at $580.26. I will keep checking rates and hope I can find a good hotel that isn't that expensive. We won't be spending any time in the hotel at all, just to sleep.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi

We've booked Sol Ipanema for two nights at the end of our cruise from Venice. It rated very highly on Trip Adviser, especially considering the price of the other similarly rated hotels. We're paying USD160 per night oceanfront (+15% tax) and I booked on Ipanema.com. Best Western have a lowest price gtd. I could have gone on to the BW website and they would have matched the Ipanema.com rate + additional discount I think but I thought I'd give the Brazilian economy those few extra Aussie dollars instead.

We still can't believe we're going on this holiday. Seems like a dream :D

Archived