Poll: Fly in a day before or same day as ship departs?

CruiseFever

Do you fly in to the port city a day or more ahead or on the day your ship sets sail?  

1,028 members have voted

1. 1. Do you fly in to the port city a day or more ahead or on the day your ship sets sail?

• Before
    • Same Day

You didn't have a third choice - IT DEPENDS :)

Sometimes we fly in the day before, sometimes same day as ship departs. THIS coming trip we will be flying in on the departure day (hope I don't regret THAT decision!).

Lynn

Yeah, after hearing of "war stories" about people flying in same day and missing the boat...we will always fly in at least a day early.

In fact, we are flying in 2 days early this trip...have some fun in Ft Lauderdale to get a head start on the fun!

Mike :D

It only took flying in the day of the cruise once.........we weren't late or anything but worn out after being up for 21 hours before getting to bed.

Now it is AT LEAST the day before and next April when we go to Hawaii we are going in 2 days early.

Jim

Guest Anorak33

I would like to arrive a day early but it has not worked out like that for us recently.

On our last cruise from Vancouver it would have cost a bundle extra for early flights and hotel and when we looked at the risk involved we would have been paranoid to have arrived 4 days early on the other available charter flight.

The scheduled air was over double the charter flight and when we checked the charter had an excellent record of arriving on time so we went with that and it all worked out fine. We had a 4 hour margin of safety.

I won't say I wasn't worried though.

Our first cruise, we used the cruise air, and flew in the day of the cruise. Then we learned better and have flown in a day early. Travel on the same day was a lot of hurry up and wait, and a constant state of stress.

Going a day early allows us to relax and enjoy things. (Hey, isn't that the reason we are going? ;) )

It may not be possible or feasible for everyone, but I would recommend going a day early and staying a day late. That removed most hassles, and all the stress of having to rush all the time to meet many of the almost impossible short deadlines between events.....

Since we (like most of us) like to cruise when the weather isn't so favorable at home, we ALWAYS fly in a day early to have that cushion of time in case of flight delays in our hometown because of bad weather. We look forward to our cruises SO MUCH that we're not willing to take even a little chance of missing our ship.

Don't forget the most important aspect of going in a day early. You can be on board as soon as the ship is ready, and get started on your vacation. The day you embark is the first day of your cruise - why spend it cramped in Sardine Class or waiting in Layover Hell?

We fly or drive in a day or more early too. DH is obsessed with being places early. We usually fly southwest because we get enough free tickets to fly the family free and they take all day to get anywhere.

Flintstone my DH started watching that southwest show on AE too. Too funny sometimes. Have you seen the British airline that is on the show sometimes too?

Twice this year alone I have been put up in a hotel by American Airlines because they coudl net get me to where I was going. Either a flight was cancelled or the flight I was on arrived too late to make my connection. I'd hate to miss the ship...

Always, always a day or two before. We always drive to our ship - I'd hate to wait 6 months to go cruising and then miss the boat!:eek:

P.S. A friend of ours was scheduled to fly from LAX to Sacramento Thursday evening. His flight was cancelled and passengers were scrambling to catch other flights. His wife is an airline stewardess and even she couldn't pull any weight. They ended up spending the night, went back to the airport to fly standby. They ended up renting a car and driving home. I don't trust the airlines. However, wewere in Cabo San Lucas 2 weeks ago for a wedding and the flight there and back was easy.

Archived