Poll: Fly in a day before or same day as ship departs?

CruiseFever

Do you fly in to the port city a day or more ahead or on the day your ship sets sail?  

1,028 members have voted

1. 1. Do you fly in to the port city a day or more ahead or on the day your ship sets sail?

• Before
    • Same Day

We used to take a chance once in awhile, pre 9/11, and fly in the same day. But since then the airlines change and cancel flights so much, it is not worth the frustration. We usually get a good price on priceline for a pre-cruise stay and just fly in the day before our cruise. Saves a lot of nail biting as we head to our vacation.

After the Storm of the Century in '93 :eek: when we ended up paying just to get to the ship about 5 times what a good hotel would have cost us for a 'planned' overnight stay we always fly in at least one, if not two, days in advance. We've even discovered in FLL that staying at the Riverside Hotel really really makes the vacation seem a couple of days longer.

And anyway, since the suitcases have been packed for weeks in advance, why not go a couple of days early! :D

If you are using the cruise airline they will make sure you get to the boat on time and in some instances hold the boat fir you are a coupleof hours late. Also it is their responsibility to get you to the ship if your airline doe not make it. That said, it is much more relaxing to get there a day or two ahead of time. It gives you time to get over the flight and to enjoy your port of embarkation. We always fly in early when we are not leaving from Fort Lauderdale.

Which do you do?

Hi Chris,

We just got back (literally) had an amazing week, will post my review, once I finish unpacking and get my bearings, however I wanted to reply to this.

We live outside of Philadelphia, never saw the need to fly down the day prior unless it was during the winter(to avoid possible flight delays due to weather)

We purchased our own air and being Princess is so efficient with disembarking we booked an 11:25am flight home, all would have been fine except when we got to the airport we were told our flight was delayed, the flight leaving from Philadelphia(which would be our return flight home) never left, we did not leave FLL until 3:00pm, then when we landed, we couldn't taxi over to the terminal due to the traffic, another half hour, point being, we paid for our airline tickets independently therefore it was our responsiblity. Being we were coming home it made no difference but had we been starting the cruise today we would have been up the creek without a paddle, if possible I would recommend going down the night prior.

Wendy

Wendy,

Is Southwest up and running at Philly airport yet? We are flying from PHI to FLL for our 9/11/cruise. Was just wondering how busy the airport has been. Our flight isn't until 1pm but figured we better get there way early.

In response to poll. Our 2nd cruise we almost missed the ship. Didn't get to Miami til 2:30. Made the ship just in time. Fastest embarkation on an Ncl cruise ever. Now we fly down a day early and start the party sooner.

Angie

Wendy,

Is Southwest up and running at Philly airport yet? We are flying from PHI to FLL for our 9/11/cruise. Was just wondering how busy the airport has been. Our flight isn't until 1pm but figured we better get there way early.

In response to poll. Our 2nd cruise we almost missed the ship. Didn't get to Miami til 2:30. Made the ship just in time. Fastest embarkation on an Ncl cruise ever. Now we fly down a day early and start the party sooner.

Angie

Hi Angie,

Yes, Southwest is up and running from Philly(great airfares too <G>). The airports are busier on Saturdays and Sundays, as this is not only when most of the cruise ships sail it is also the day of the week many people start their vacation. We were fortunate enough not to have any problems/delays on the way down, however those poor people starting their vacation, I can only imagine! Flying down a day early is a great plan when possilble.

It only takes one time before you become a "fly in day before" convert. Years ago, I almost missed a cruise due to a Northwest flight having mechanical problems. I boarded the ship 15 MINUTES before sailing!!! On the plus side, that was the fastest embarkation I have ever experienced - no lines whatsoever!!!!

I usually have two entire days devoted just to air travel, one day before vacation and one day after and what is amazing is the number of times I have been on flights that have been delayed, overbooked, mech. problems, etc.

The only time I have gone to the ship the same day is when I sail out of New Orleans - since I am just an hour away, I drive down the morning of the cruise. I still leave very early in the morning...

I have done both but I much prefer to arrive a day or two early if possible. I am much more relaxed and already in vacation mode when I board the ship! :D I also don't have post cruise depression as badly or as quickly if I stay post cruise for a couple of days! ;)

As we usually have to fly half way across the world, we always arrive two-three days early to be on the safe side. Also we need to get our body clocks working with the new time and this is the best way to do it.

We usually leave from a city we have never been to so those few days at the beginning gives us time to explore the deparure port.

Jennie

Well it looks like alot of cruise critic experience talking here...........90% +....which I'm guessing Chris is what you would have expected........

I chose flying in the day of --- this next cruise will be my first for flying in the day before -- for Caribbean cruises. Guess I've read too many reports on CC to want to take a chance on arriving late now. When I cruised to Alaska and Hawaii out of Vancouver we did fly in early, but that was mostly so that we could do sightseeing in Vancouver. Last time I sailed to Hawaii from Ensenada we flew in the day of. We used cruiseline air as it was a promotion -- talk about tired by the time we got there. We did not make it to the welcome aboard show that night.

We flew that same day only once! The airlines lost our luggage! Six of us with no clothes. Can you imagine going to formal night in shorts and sneakers? The luggage finally met us three days later in Cozumel.

Now I always fly a day early and pack a carryone with a bathing suit and a change of clothes.

Vette

When we have to fly we go the day before. We live in FL about 2 hrs from any of the ports but we usually go the day before anyway. Gets us in the cruise mindset or we are meeting others flying in.! :)

Always the day before. you can relax at the hotel and have dinner then the gym in the morning, breakfast, the drug store for film etc and most importantly, the liquor store for the booze! we check out late and never get on until an hour before sailing so there are usually 20 cruise personnel and only 6-12 passengers by then.

Yea!!! I'm must not be a paranoid as I was beginning to feel! We are leaving out of Sacramento the day ahead and going to LAX for our trip to Hawaii. I'm looking forward to having my nephew (who will be at UCLA this Fall) meet us for dinner the night before the cruise. What a wonderful way to relax and get to the ship in the midmorning. Thanks for a great poll. I was delighted to read the results. -Podge

[SIZE=4][COLOR=DarkOrange]I'm from the middle of Canada. Our winters can be very bad so I always fly in a day early. When we went in Aug for an RCCL cruise we went two days early so the honeymoon couple could enjoy some time in Miami. When I go to Hawaii, I plan on going three days early so that I can see some sites before hand. :D :D [/COLOR] [/SIZE]

Thanks to all of you (and my sister in SC) we'll be arriving in Fort Lauderdale next :cool: :cool: :cool: Friday, the day before the ship departs. Your experience and stories make so much sense. I had to change airfare and transfers, but it will be worth it.
Being relaxed when walking onto the ship will be a great pleasure !
Thanks cruisecritics.
Laraine

One answer doesn't fit all!

We usually fly in two or three days early to a foreign port, particularly if we haven't been there before. For a domestic port across the country, we usually fly in the day before, or perhaps take a "red-eye", and for ports on the Left Coast, fly in day of departure, unless we have some burning desire to see the departure city, or perhaps relatives or friends.

Michael

First cruise, Dawn Princess, Christmas 1998--let Princess arrange everything, direct flight from DFW, got on the ship and missed muster--that tells you how close we cut it!!
Second cruise, (RCCL, ROS 7/02) drove to Galveston the day before, we were afraid of traffic through Houston, gave us the afternoon and evening to see the Galveston area.
Third cruise, (Norwegian Sky, Panama Canal, 10/02) arranged our own air with frequent flyer miles, got in the night before and just felt better being there for sure on time (not too many flights into San Francisco from DFW on American).
Fourth cruise, (CP, 7/10) arranged our own flights and got in very late the night before--again, not too many flights between DFW and FLL on American. Afraid to miss the ship!!
Next cruise, maybe 2 days before--especially if out of a port we want to explore, AND if without our teenagers (they always think we leave too early).

Archived