Poll: Fly in a day before or same day as ship departs?

CruiseFever

Do you fly in to the port city a day or more ahead or on the day your ship sets sail?  

1,028 members have voted

1. 1. Do you fly in to the port city a day or more ahead or on the day your ship sets sail?

• Before
    • Same Day

Flying in the same day has never been a problem for us. That keeps us away from the kids for less time and saves lots of money and vacation days. I'm sure we've saved well over a $1000 so far. When the kids are grown, we'll probably extend the vacation and go early.

DH and I have just returned from the January 22 sailing of the [i]Caribbean Princess.[/i] This was the first time that we flew from Detroit the day prior to sailing, and it turned out to be a real blessing because flights were delayed and/or cancelled due to the snowstorm that slammed the midwest and east coast.

We arrived in FLL on Friday at 1:00, rode the [i]Princess[/i] shuttle to the [i]Marriott North, [/i]where we were checked in by 2:00. Enjoyed the hotel pool/hottub prior to dinner at a fine seafood restaurant. Breakfast the following morning in the hotel before taking a taxi to the pier at noon. We were onboard the ship at 1:00, met our stateroom steward and made dining reservations before 2:00, toured the ship on our own before muster at 4PM, were unpacked and settled in before dinner at 6:00.

Having arrived a day early, we were much less stressed and tired after a good night's rest and not having to awaken at 4AM to get to the airport for an early flight. We also weren't wearing winter duds when we embarked. In the future, we will always fly down the night before a cruise - it's a safety net, for sure.
[i]Chris[/i]

We always fly in a day early, and after our cruise last week we'll fly down [B]two days[/B] early if we travel in winter again!! We were one of the handfull of flights that made it out of O'Hare on the 22nd because of the snowstorm. Most flights before ours were cancelled, and a lot of flights after were, too.

We saw lots of pax from our ship and others boarding in our first port stop in San Juan, 2 days out of FLL.

• 2 weeks later...
We will arrive in Houston the day before our cruise (3/4) then take Princess' transfer down to Galveston. We would like to board as soon as possible on the 5th, but they are expecting us in the afternoon when our flight would normally have arrived had we flown in the same day (our t.a. said to do this).

I would prefer to wait in the luggage area at the airport for the Princess rep (is that how they do it?) and be there in the later part of the morning. Has anyone had this experience? Thanks for any help on this one.

Always the day before!!! When we first started cruising back in '86 the first two cruises we took we flew the day of. Its too stressful doing it that way, we had delays, one was pretty close in getting us to the ship, with only a half hr to sailing time. Besides the delay issue, getting up early to get a 6 or 7 am flight to Miami makes for a long day. Now we always go day before, less stress, get a good nights sleep, get up have a leisurely breakfast and head for the pier.

[COLOR=Blue][SIZE=4]I have not read all of this thread, but wanted to offer some advice,too. We live near Jacksonville, FL, so we did not worry about weather delaying our flight. Beware you may get delayed because of where the flight is coming from. One year ours was the last flight out of O'Hare and was delayed getting into Jax. If it had not made it we would not have had time to drive to the port. I asked the next year and none of the personnel on the phone banks had any idea from where the plane was coming. So now we just drive....[/SIZE][/COLOR]

We always fly in a day early since we cruise in Jan and the weather is unpredictable. In addition, you have already paid for that first day of the cruise while it sits in port and we like to maximize that by getting on the ship as early as we can so we can lounge around the pool like it is a sea day.

We ALWAYS fly in one day early, this time (in two weeks) it will be 2 days early. We fly from Western Canada, it is a full day trip. Weather can sometimes be uncertain-not only at home but also also at the connecting hub. Not worth taking a chance for us and we enjoy the pre cruise time.

Anyone remember this episode?

"Did you know that an I Love Lucy episode inspired the Desilu action-adventure series Whirlybirds? It’s true; the episode "Bon Voyage," in which Lucy is late for the European cruise and the boat takes off without her, leaving her to be delivered via helicopter, inspired writers Jo and Art Napoleon to pen a script centered on the adventures of a couple of flyboys. Whirlybirds ran for three years (1957-1960), during which 111 30-minute episodes were produced, and starred Kenneth Tobey and Craig Hill. It was a first-run syndicated effort. The now-defunct San Fernando airport served as the setting for the copter shots, and interior shots of the cockpit were, of course, filmed on Desilu soundstages. (Lucy, by the way, only appeared in close-ups while "hanging" from the copter; a stunt double was filmed for long shots."

We fly in the day before.

We just had the experience, that 's important enough, to tell anyone to fly in the fly in the day before the cruise begins. (or 2) We were in the snowstorm a couple of weeks ago. We came from Amsterdam, on our way to Miami. We had a stop in Detroit. Change of plains, that was scheduled. Once we were landed in Detroit, after circling for about 30 min., they closed the airport. And there we were, no plains in or out. After a couple of hours there was some airtraffic possible, but not ours. Our plain did'nt came in. They told to go to a transfer desk and try to get on an other plain when ever.
After 2 hours in line and in a meanwhile calling North West, we got the message that we were booked on the flight to Miami, the next morning. No place to sleep, no luggage, nothing. But I kept on saying that we had a cruise to catch the next day. And after keep saying that for about 20 times, the lady sayd, I have 2 seats on the flight tonight, after midnight, to Miami, but you will not sit next to eighother. Please, gif me those seats, I bagged. And she did. The plain that we were booked on,had to come in at Detroit at 1.00 a/m and came at 2.30, we were airbourn at 3.15 and landed early the morning in Miami. And there was the big suprise, NO LUGGAGE. After reporting that the luggage was missed, we tried to find someone who should be there, to get us to Ft. Lauderdale. Booked by Princess. :confused:
But there was nobody. So there we where in the middle of the night, no luggage and no transportation. We took a taxi to the hotel in Ft. Lauderdale. Tried to get some sleep, we were deadly tired. Next morning, I tried to call North West, to find out were our luggage could be. Our luggage was no langer in the computer. It was gone. I,m not gone tell the whole story it was a nightmar, I can tell you. But thanks to a very friendly lady, at the Princess checkinn-desk, at the port. She called a friend, who happened to be some kind of manager at the luggage department, our luggage appeared 10 min. before the ship sailed out. It came by special delivery. :)
After all, we had a great cruise on the Regall Princess, 22 jan- 7 febr. Panamacanal.
So, please take the time to fly, or drive in. You never know.
Love from the Netherlands,
Trijntje

[COLOR=DarkGreen][SIZE=3][FONT=Comic Sans MS]We prefer to fly in a day or two early and enjoy the departure city. A couple of times we weren't able to do this and I was worried the entire time that we would miss the ship. Thankfully it didn't happen but I was so stressed! The dollars spent for a hotel room and rental car are well worth it[/FONT][/SIZE].[/COLOR]

• 1 month later...
We always fly in the day before, or more. You never know what will happen with airlines. For example, today I am trying to fly home from Boise ID to Grand Rapids MI after a week of work. My flight was cancelled due to snow at the Minneapolis connection airport. All alternative flights are fully booked until Monday afternoon. I will be driving to Salt Lake City and catch a Sunday flight from there; they are fully booked on Saturday. Sure glad I do not have a cruise scheduled for today, or even tomorrow. Of course, if I did have a cruise scheduled, I would drive all night and day to get to the port ......

We just returned from our 1st cruise (Golden Princess). After reading all the good advice on these boards (a big thanks to everyone) decided to fly in a day early. We arrived in San Juan at 4:30 PM - DH's luggage did not arrive until 11:00 AM the next day! Of course, we have never had luggage problems before this much anticipated trip. We were lucky....overheard a woman talking at the Purser's Desk and her luggage never arrived!! All's well that ends well - we had a wonderful time.:)

• 2 months later...
I have never NOT flown in a day early, if not even more. My vacation starts the moment I lock the front door. From there on, I'm pampering myself....so why leave things open to stress? We get a nice hotel room, get on-line and find a great restaurant, sometimes even go to theater. Sleep in late the next morning, and then head to the pier.

What's also fun is going several days early if you have not visited the departure city. This fall, we are on the 18-day Far East cruise, from SEA (3 stops Alaska-Russia-Korea-3 stops Japan) to Osaka. My sister and her husband have never had time to see and relax in Sea, so they are flying in 4 days earlier, to give them 3 full days of sightseeing around the area. We are also flying in early--it's fun to watch and share in someone's excitement as they see new places.

[quote name='lynn1']You didn't have a third choice - IT DEPENDS :)

Sometimes we fly in the day before, sometimes same day as ship departs. THIS coming trip we will be flying in on the departure day (hope I don't regret THAT decision!).

Lynn[/QUOTE] Change your mind and get there ahead. Most of the time
it would probably work getting there the same day. You want 100% on
this situation though with no error. About two years ago, we were
flying from Chicago to Jacksonville and we arrived about five hours
later than scheduled. No trauma, we were coming in three days
ahead of our sail date.
Start your fun sooner
Dave Hansen

If we are taking a ship from the west coast, Seattle, LA or San Diego, we would fly in early morning of departure. If leaving from FL, LA or TX we have flown in the day before to make sure we are there on time.

For Vancouver we flew in a day or 2 before so we had time to see the city. So it all depends. For my next cruise in Oct from Ft. Lauderdale I am flying in 1 day ahead, as is all the rest of my family.

We were on a cruise that sailed from San Juan about a year and a half ago. We had decided to fly in a day early and get a taste of Puerto Rico before we sailed. We had a wonderful time and left the next day on our cruise. We met a really nice couple at lunch, and through discussion, learned that they were awaiting the arrival of some relatives. Their relatives were supposed to fly in that day, but because the volcano on Montserrat had erupted the evening before, no planes were flying through the residual ash that still hung in the air. Their relatives (and about 700 others whose flights were also cancelled) eventually caught up with the ship in Aruba a couple of days later. This just cemented our plans to ALWAYS fly in at least a day early! (For our next cruise, in December, we'll not only fly in a day early, we're planning on staying in San Juan for three days post-cruise! Don't want to miss the flight home either!)

Archived