NCL Jewel - Just back from 2/25 cruise

GB65

Just returned from 2/25 NCL Jewel cruise. The Jewel is a beautiful ship, and the Eastern Caribbean itinerary was great. Believe it or not, embarkation was a breeze -- they weren't supposed to start until 1 pm, but we were in our cabin by 12:30 pm!! The luggage was possibly not going to be available until 7 or 8 pm, but ours was at the door before the lifeboat drill!! For the entire cruise, every person on the staff that we dealt with was great and always happy to help (had heard that sometimes the staff was not always friendly). We are a bit strange cruisers in that we do not ever go to the traditional dining room, and we really didn't care this time about going to the specialty freestyle restaurants. We're happy with the buffet at whatever time we feel like going. We also don't go on cruises to meet people -- we go on cruises to do what we want and sometimes even to be left alone. For us, the Jewel was too big and too crowded (it was at capacity -- we tried to pay for an upgrade and nothing was available). Almost every visit to the Garden Cafe (buffet) was a challenge in that you had to first find a seat as there were never any empty tables Then have one person sit at the table and one get food and trade off. The crew did have a hard time keeping up with removing the dirty dishes as they were constantly bombarded with people at the buffet dining. The food was excellent--it just seems that maybe NCL planned on more people using the other non-buffet restaurants than what are actually using them. (( maybe add another buffet somewhere in one of the lesser used restaurants or take a part of the main dining room?? )) Some people we talked to said they went to the traditional dining room one night, and the food was not what they expected so they ate the rest of their cruise at the buffet.

We tried to save money this cruise as only one of us is working and did an inside cabin for the first time ever (we love balcony cabins!). The cabin was nice enough with tons of closet and storage space; however, it was too cramped for our liking plus unless you were 4 feet tall you had a bit of a challenge with the good old toilet being too close to the wall! ;) I advise anyone going on the Jewel to be wary of booking deck 4 and 5 cabins though -- every single night there was excessive noise in the crew only stairwells (metal steps!) and we didn't always sleep soundly. There was also a band of teenagers who were allowed to roam free all night long. They would sit in the lounges and heckle performers or sit in the stairwell by the elevator all night long and talk, scream, and giggle. Security doesn't make any regular walkthroughs so they never were asked to go elsewhere. We called the main desk to report this to security a couple times without any resolution.

The San Juan ATV shore excursion was awesome though we had to stand in line an hour in the port until they would allow the bus through to pick us up -- highly recommend it!! We did express debarkation, and we were off the ship with luggage in hand by 8:00 am--nice and easy.

If anyone is looking for a great limo service and don't mind spending some money we tried Miami Sunset limo and they were fantastic!! http://www.miami-sunset.com/ or 305-573-3545 ask for Monica.:cool:

Thanks for the great information. We are sailing on the Jewel this coming Sunday. What time did you get to port? We are staying overnight in Miami so we can arrive at any time. What time do people start lining up.

Also, I am little concerned after hearing about decks 4 & 5. We also had to save money so we booked on deck 5, inside stateroom. Unfortunately, we did not pick a stateroom (hoping for an upgrade) and got stuck with a room right next to the stairwell. Is it that bad?

Any other things we should not miss (both on and off the ship)? This is our first cruise . . .

Thanks!

Our flight arrived at Miami airport around 9 am, and we knew we had lots of time so we grabbed something to eat. We arrived at the port about 11:45 and got in line. The line moved steadily. Once inside the final "tent" it was a bit nuts until you got in the correct line, and since we didn't have a suite we were in the long line (next time hopefully we can do the short line!). I tried to call NCL the week before we left to upgrade and was willing to pay for it; however, they told me they couldn't do anything and I'd have to ask on check in. I was worried about having an inside cabin but saving money was more important. We had cabin 5051 inside - midship. It was nice enough but was noisy.

We stayed on the ship at every port but San Juan just to enjoy the sun and fewer people! We planned Stingray City @ Antigua; however, we overslept and missed the excursion. We've been to St Thomas many times and though we love it chose to ability to get a loungechair by the pool time instead (non-port days you will never find a loungechair around the pool if that is what you like).

We stayed in Miami the night after the cruise as we couldn't get a reasonably priced flight Sunday (over $200 compared to $99 the next am). Enjoy your cruise!!

thanks for your review: the Jewel is an awesome ship. When I read negative reviews I am always totally shocked. I know everyone has a different idea on what is and isn't for them, but after 20 plus cruises I just can't imagine anyone not enjoying the Jewel. This doesn't mean everything is perfect, but she certainly comes pretty close. NMnita

We were on this one also. It was everything it was billed as being. The ship was great and the food and service was very good to great! We only did one excursion (like you we had already been there, done that) the Nelson Dockyards Rainforest tour in Antigua. We did get off the ship for a bit in San Juan and I got DW some nice (duty free :)) Sworvski crystal in St. Thomas but other than that we enjoyed being on the ship.

Embarkation was a breeze for us too. They must have learned from past experiences with the Pearl being in port.

Next year they have a 9 day Southern Caribbean itinerary. Well I can dream, can't I?

Good to hear you enjoyed it. We'll be on the 4/8 cruise in an AB Penthouse. I'm nervous about all the embarkation horror stories I've heard (DH is not a patient person), but since we'll be in Miami a day before we sail, we'll be able to get to port early enough (I hope). Can't wait to go!

GB65 --- can you tell me if they now have trays available at the buffet?

We will be on the Jewel 4/22/07 and I've read several posts saying that it is a little difficult without having trays --

Thanks,

Cheryl

The number one buffet restaurant in America is Golden Corral, NCL is following their ideas. Its simply an attempt to do things a bit differently than cafeteria style, reduce long lines, and no longer having to wash and dry the trays. People should be able to go from table to table, grab what they want, without a huge single line.

If you don't want a salad, skip that table. If you don't want a dessert, skip it. In a cafeteria line everyone must wait for a person to look over every piece of meat before they choose one. Times the number ahead of you, it can easily take another ten minutes to go through a cafeteria line, unless there is someone on the other side. I have seen people ask for another bowl of potatoes, as they think they are being served a too small portion.

Once everyone gets familiar with this system, dining flows much better.

I highly recommend getting a day pass at Grand Pineapple Resort. Just get off the ship-take a taxi. The taxi ride can be 30/40 minutes depending on traffic, but I think it's worth it. For $50 (at least that's what it was a year ago) you get full access to the buffet-breakfast was still being served when we arrived, lunch-which we had at he cool B-B-Q place up on the hill, and as many cocktails as you can handle. They have a great beach-good snorkeling.

Just contact them in advance because on cruise ship days they do limit the number of people they allow to have day passes. *I got this tip from the Cruise Critic Boards when I was just learning about cruising-I think it's the best tip I got.

Reservations & Information:

Book online now

US: (800) 858-4618

UK: 0870 160 9645

Email: Reservations@EliteIslandResorts.com Local Contact Information:

General Manager: Paolo Roveletto

P.O. Box 2000, Long Bay

St. John’s, Antigua

Direct Telephone: (268) 463-2006

Direct Fax: (268) 463-2452

Hello

Anybody could recommend me a Shore Excursion in ANTIGUA ?

Thankyou

I recommend the Antigua Island Escape. You get a lunch and an open bar and a nice beach at Prickly Pear Island. Wife and I enjoyed that one.

This just goes to show how two cruisers can have completely different opinions about the same cruise! I was on the 2/25 Jewel cruise as well.

I was really impressed with a lot of things on this cruise but embarkation definately wasn't one of them!

I thought embarkation in the tent was horrible. We arrived before 1pm and didn't get thru the line until after 2:20. Normally that wouldn't be such a huge horrible wait but it was really hot. They had small fans set up behind the desks where the NCL staff was checking everyone in but since the line was really long and moved slowly the air from the fan never made it to us standing in line. The latitudes line was every bit as long as the general embarkation line. Maybe longer but once we were in a line I was reluctant to change lines.

Also, I didn't think the ship felt crowded at ALL! Seriously I mentioned to my family how I felt like the ship must not be at capacity because the lines were reasonable and I never felt crowded.

It was a breeze making reservations at the specialty dining places. We ate at the specialty dining 4 or 5 nights and most of those nights I went to Tangos (where the reservations are made) at like 3 or 4pm for that very evening. We got in to Cagneys and chin chins both with only a few hours notice. The other days I made reservations right at 8am for the next evenings dinner. I was the only one there making the reservation at 8am. I was thinking the new specialty dining reservation system was working out so great because the ship must not be that full!

Then, in the evenings at the early show almost every night there were plenty of places to sit. The only nights it was crowded was for the Cirque show and the crew talent show. I liked Cirque but the crew talent show was terrible and we left before it was over.

There was plenty of loungers and space for everyone that wanted to sit outside around the pool on the Sea Days. I'm the one that believes NCL should provide a lounger and space for every guest. Well, there were plenty of loungers, if you slept in you might not get to be right around the pool area but you could sit somewhere in a nice spot. You might have had to take your lounger off the huge stack yourself and set it up yourself but at least there were enough chairs! Ive been on way too many NCL cruises where this wasn't the case.

I also think NCL has been listening on the food issue. The food has improved in the buffets and in the main dining rooms. I feel there has been another decline in the quality of food at the specialty resteraunts since the menu change several months ago. I'm sure the fillets are smaller and thinner. They aren't the thick WOW ones they used to be. I was still pleasantly suprised at the food quality in general, its improved since last year.

We had two adjoining mini suites on deck 11. We were very happy with the suites and it was a great arrangement for our family me, dh, MIL and 2 dd's. We were right under the pool deck and heard a bit of the noise from the chairs moving around. From this site I was really worried that that noise would be a big problem. It was a very minor disturbance - so small I wouldn't even think to complain about it. If you have one of these AF's reserved don't worry about that noise. It's been hugely over exaggerated.

I loved the CD Ricky Matthews! I've never had an opinion about a CD one way or another really but he was delightful. He is super high energy, he's a great dancer and a hottie! He got everyone going around the pool in the afternoons dancing and all. I will always think of him whenever I hear the song "Hey Baby" from now on. He really is a spark that NCL needs I think.

I loved the decor of the ship. Its modern, classy and funky. I think NCL really needs this decor to counter balance the reputation that it has for attracting so many old people. Honestly there were lots and lots of old people on the ship. We have cruised this same week for several years because it is New Hampshire school vacation. Never before do I remember such a huge geriatric population. I think NCL needs the lively CD's and the funky modern decor to keep the younger crowd. I've never said that before about NCL because I never noticed it before but WOW, even my MIL who is 68 felt young!

I thought it was a great cruise. I love the Jewel and we will be sailing again on her soon.

Archived