Does the loud music by the pool bother you while cruising?

At 50 years old I am starting to be bothered by loud rock music. I remember 30 years ago I would love to blast my stereos all night and have contests in the dorm on who could have their stereo the loudest. That was 30 years ago, and now the loud music really bothers me.

On a recent cruise, I avoided the pool area because they always had loud music going all the time. It gave me a headache. I noticed there was many people at the pool who were older than me and grew up with Frank Sinatra or Perry Como and likely did not like the loud rock music either.

How about you, do you like the music at poolside?

Part of the reason we do not do all-inclusive resorts anymore. The music goes all day long.:eek:

I guess I am getting old also. :D

we pay a little more and go on cruises that are for more mature people

I'm 50 also and love the music, BUT it depends on what songs, or rather, what type of music is being played. On a Caribbean cruise I long for the reggae music, the steel drum bands. In the disco I want the classic dance music. I grew up on rock and still love it. But by the pool, relaxing with my favorite drink of the day with the Caribbean breeze in my hair, I want the steel drums!!!

Agree 100%.............never use the main pool anymore. On our CP cruise the first day MUTS was blaring.....literally at 9am with finding NEMO.....what a joy at 9am........now maybe Princess has changed that in the last couple of years.......but on RC we now use the solarium or no pool at all.

Wow, glad someone brought this up, we found the music( live band) annoying on our last cruise( played alot of the same songs too) , and started to use one of the pools with no music, or the upper deck. I like to be able to talk to my hubby , or read in some peace.

On our last Princess cruise they had a live band but NO STEEL DRUMS , which I really like, so that was dissappointing. Carnival did that better.

I wouldn't mind a little steel drums, but not all day, and not loud.

Perhaps what bothers me more is poor quality sound and a bad mix of music when the band is not playing.

Aboard the RCCL ships Splendour and Rhapsody I have heard all 14 songs from the "Best of the 80's" CD more times than I can count.

While aboard Carnival they didn't have much recorded music in the Lido area while were aboard the Ecstasy and Elation.

I do like the music from most of the bands. We usually take different paths as a couple in the afternoon, my wife takes a chair in the sun and I piddle around or nap. I don't like to sit for more than an hour.

For the activites in the evenings RCCL has the best systems hands down. I've seen them roll out the Mackie 1521's (powered speakers) that sound great even at mid volume.

I spend a little time doing some DJ work for Special Olympics and other events related to church and school stuff, and I have the speakers they use.

For me (at 48...) any music on poor equipment is bad at any volume. Good equipment and the right mix... crank it up! "Freebird dude"

Yes, I had 8 tracks, even the 8 track recorder.

We don't patronize the main pool area anymore either. We'll hang out in the aft pool area where it's quiter with almost

95% older cruisemates(45+) and NO music. Much more relaxing back there.

CIAO,

I am not a fan of loud rock music either. However, we're not all the same and, unfortunately, there are lots of people out there who really enjoy this assault on their sense of hearing and they do end up on the same cruise ship as those of us who do not enjoy the loud music. Well, thank goodness I'm not a pool person and the ships are large so I just go elsewhere when the rock band or DJ is on stage. What I really dislike even more is loud music at local restaurants; what's up with that? But that's another topic on another board.

What makes me nuts is when I walk through this area at 3 am or 4 or 5 and the music is still incredibly loud. We were several decks below the main pool area and late at night I could hear the music from the balcony.

Try this, when walking through the TV displays at stores, turn down all the volumes

While on the Ecstasy last week thay played the whole Michael Jackson Thriller album. I'm o.k. with Mike but the whole album. I would prefer more tropic or beach type songs. Not one Beach Boys song. Guess wht they played on sea day on way back. Several more songs from the Thriller album.

Its called " back ground music " because it is meant to be just that. !!Something you can just about hear, which relaxes you, puts you in a calm mood. The high volume of the music is what jars on so many peoples nerves. I DONT CARE WHAT THEY PLAY... JUST TONE IT DOWN PLEASE !!! :)

Yes, and not only by the pool. The constant disturbance by pre-recorded pop/rock music in the public rooms is annoying.

When a live band plays it is a littele bit better but even than I do not need it at the pool. Too often the music is too aggressive to be able to enjoy a book, a conversation, the view or just a relaxing break.

The only time music by the pool will bother me is if they start blasting that awful jungle music that they insist on playing in the disco...you know the disco nights when there is hardly anyone in there listening to that stuff.....the only time I ever see the disco packed is when they play 50's, 60's, 70's or 80's music...you would think they would learn based on the crowds.

However, getting back to the original question, I think music around the pool should be limited to only Caribbean type music...no big band 40's...no rock...no country western and no jungle music...jungle music is defined by me as the disco music that is writtten around a bass drum lead!

I am also tired of repetitive, loud music by the pool. Really, the bands play the same stuff over and over and over and the recorded stuff is loud and annoying.

It was really annoying on Jewel of the Seas in December, so loud I could not enjoy reading my book.

I now avoid the main pools for this reason and never travel without a balcony so there is a quiet spot to turn to, at least most of the time.

To be honest with you, I've never really noticed all that much. Perhaps if I were to spend more time by the pool, but we prefer less crowded areas than that.

I'm 53 and my kids now tell me to turn down my classic rock music. It used to be my parents. I actually would love it if they played classic rock vs. dance grooves, country and disco during the band breaks. I love my Ipod :)

Yes, and not only by the pool. The constant disturbance by pre-recorded pop/rock music in the public rooms is annoying.

When a live band plays it is a littele bit better but even than I do not need it at the pool. Too often the music is too aggressive to be able to enjoy a book, a conversation, the view or just a relaxing break.

I don't hang out around the pool because it's too noisy. DH loves it and I'll go for an hour or so with him and then back to the balcony.

I've never been one for loud "background" music. I went to the counter in Starbucks last week and asked them to turn the music down. They were blaring Bob Dylan. {shudder}

Viv

I don't like the loud music either - in fact, in the Solarium I learned to choose the seats furthest away from the doors to the main pool deck, so I wouldn't be assaulted by the music every time the sliding doors opened!

Plus, there are more chairs in the shade in the Solarium. I even found one near a speaker that had nice soothing sounds (including chirping birds) coming from it.

Archived