Demise of Galaxy premature

chessbriar

babylene,

We just returned from the Galaxy as well. My complaint is about the dinner menu. The fish choices were AWFUL. Out of 11 days, I had 2 good fish dishes. Even at the captain's table, where I ordered salmon, I couldn't eat it.

Question:

All of you who have sailed on so many Celebrity cruises... Do you think the food is better on a more expensive cruise...for example...a costly European one? The reason I ask is because this sailing was very CHEAP and I wonder if they cut costs on the food.

I have not noticed much difference, but I also would not touch the fish on any cruise ship. Celebrity is noted for lamb, veal, and beef dishes, but the fowl and shellfish are generally very good. I have also met vegetarians who have said that Celebrity's vegetarian dishes are excellent. So next time, avoid the fish at all costs. The menus most assuredly have something else that you can eat!

Norm.

Thanks so much to the OP for posting about Galaxy. We'll be boarding her on 3/16 and are looking forward to sailing on her again. We traveled when she was new in 1998 I believe and we loved her then. We loved Century but Galaxy had that "classy" look. We're in a Sky Suite this time around, for the first time. Can anyone report if the bedding and carpets had been replaced in them (on Sky Deck)? I'd appreciate any info you can provide.

We'll give a full report when we return and let you know if things were still being updated while we were on her.

Pat C

babylene,

I have not noticed much difference, but I also would not touch the fish on any cruise ship. Celebrity is noted for lamb, veal, and beef dishes, but the fowl and shellfish are generally very good. I have also met vegetarians who have said that Celebrity's vegetarian dishes are excellent. So next time, avoid the fish at all costs. The menus most assuredly have something else that you can eat!

Norm.

First of all, until now I thought that "YOU" was a poster!! Bright's disease, I won't die from!!!!

Fish is my favourite. Last Sat. night we had Mediterranean Sea Bass at a Greek restaurant and it was amazing.

On the Galaxy, I did try meat, rack of veal and rach of lamb, but at late seating I find it really is too heavy.

The fish being awful (I kid you not, in spite of what Kathie's friend said) wasn't such a big deal. As a result, I gained only 1/2 pound on a 3 week vacation, so I am a happy camper!

I see that you are from Braintree. I have spent many an hour at the South Shore Plaza!!! And when I was a kid, I used to spend my summers at Nantasket Beach!

PatC - We were on sky deck 2 weeks ago, in 1218. Carpet wasn't new, but the bedding was. Room was in pretty good shape, though there were some areas that needed work.

More importantly... slept great, has a wonderful, large veranda, and Elvis (the butler) was great.

Which cabin are you in?

Sky deck carpeting was replaced during the 2-2 out of SJ

All fitness equipment was replaced when we returned to SJ

on 2-12

I suspect that they keep the foggy windows in the Statosphere

just so complainers can have something to focus upon

Cruise Director John told our CC party that ship is scheduled

for dry dock in Feb 2008

babylene,

If you are in eastern Massachusetts, check out the Village Restaurant right at the junction of Route 22 and Route 133 in Essex. It serves up about the best seafood anywhere.

Thank you for the recommendation. Actually we were in that area last summer. I had checked out Frommers, etc. We had lobster in Salem at a place (VERY low-keyed). Could it have been Derby? Also, in Gloucester we had lunch at a really nice place overlooking the boats.

This summer, we are thinking of driving to Bar Harbor. We have never been there and hear it is GORGEOUS. Any suggestions for that area?

Thanks!

P.S. Tried to post this and got notice that message is too short!! Something is out of kilter somewhere! I will now try again!

We stayed at Mira Monte Inn in Bar Harbor about 4 years ago. The inn was very comfortable and well located and we enjoyed our stay very much.

Here's a link to their site if you want to check it out.

http://www.miramonte.com/

The best lobster that we had on that trip though was at the Lobster Pond in Boothbay Harbor....

Hope that's helpful.

My DH and I also just returned from the Galaxy.

We were in Sky Suite 1221 and the suite looked brand new. The carpeting in the halls had just been changed and also in the suite. The bedding was new and very comfy.

As to the food, it was amazing. We spoke to the Food & Beverage Manager at the Officers cocktail party and he informed us that 2 weeks prior that had gone to black angus beef. Every beef dish was wonderful, as was the fish, veal and lamb.

The Galaxy itself was in great shape and we both felt that it was probably the best Celebrity cruise we had ever taken.

The service was outstanding in all aspects. As a matter of fact, I would say it is the best in the fleet.

Anyone booked on this ship will not be disappointed.

Maybe it was because of all the negative news we had read, we were not expecting too much and were OH so pleased to see that most posts were wrong.

Anyway, anyone not enjoying the wonderful crew, extremely well maintained ship and wonderful food, will never be pleased by any cruise they take.

Book the Galaxy and you can be assured of a wonderful experience.

If anyone has any specific questions, I will be more than happy to try to answer them.

Wow, I loved the good review. We are on the TransAtlantic crossing May 1st and then continuing on the 7 day Greek Island. Three weeks on Galaxy so I'm particularly happy to hear those good comments. I'm curious, how does one know if someone is using multiple user names to post under? Isn't it just guesswork on someone's part? No, I am not several posters, just a curious one.

I love and prefer fish so I hope there will be a few good fish dishes.

We'll be in SS 1202. How's the gym? Husband goes every morning without fail. And loves the Thassotherapy pool.

Thanks.

CRZRR - WONDERFUL NEWS:D We're in 1218 on 3/16. Great to hear about the bedding. What exactly did Elvis do for you? He won't have to unpack or re-pack for us, that's one thing I need to do myself. I would like to have some clothes pressed right away so I guess I'll ask him if he can get these things done. Our friends are in 1200 and if we wanted to have dinner on our veranda together would that be a problem do you think? Or breakfast, it's easier. Looking forward to your input.

Also great to hear they've replaced the carpets in February. We've sailed Galaxy but when she was new and really look forward to seeing how she's held up. Sailing on the open oceans all these years, changing passengers every week, some of whom do not know how to take care of things just because they're on vacation, makes for hard work for the staff. It's good to know that the crew, staff and overall atmosphere is still as great as we remember.

We've sailed Horizon, Zenith, Century, Millie, Summit many times and loved all of them.

John, who was the cruise director and now has left, was wonderful. Had him 3 times and he remembered all of us. Don Fluke wasn't bad either, very friendly, but John was terrific and always accessible. Can't remember who is on now but it doesn't affect our trips. We do some things on the ship, but spend most of the time just chilling.

8 days and counting to sail but 7 days to take off for San Juan. We're booked at the Radisson for the 1st night and the Marriott Isle de Verde when we dock to come home. Thought it would be nice not to have to battle the airport and crowds after having a nice trip.

Thanks for all the great information. Now I can really look forward to our cruise.

Pat C

PatC... we weren't really demanding, but we did have full breakfast most days and he was always there right at the start of the time range we selected... and all was to our request. On days we were out-and-about when the afternoon goodies came out, he would not only leave a plate, but also keep an eye out for us to come back in case we needed anything else.

We did host a small group one evening and he not only brought the extra glasses I specifically requested, but also a very nice selection of cheeses, fruit, snacks, and extra canopes. I'm pretty sure he'd have done that every night, if we'd asked! You'll love the veranda... that's why we like those cabins on Galaxy.

We had some regular laundry done...but hadn't requested any pressing.

Now I would like to know (not a complaint, but funny observations) if BOTH of the glasses in the bathroom fit neatly in the holders and whether you can get cold water in the sink. Seemed no matter what they did with the glasses, one wouldn't fit in the holder. The water was luke warm to hot... which isn't really an issue, given you have the water pitcher in the room.

You're going to enjoy your trip!

Rick,

We were on the cruise that ended Feb. 23rd. We enjoyed ourselves tremendously and found the ship to be in much better condition than we anticipated from reading other comments posted on these boards. Loved the different bar areas of the ship; we found them smaller, more intimate and more enjoyable; thought the public areas were in better shape than some on the newer M class ships.

I especially enjoyed the larger aft deck and the forward deck where you could get to the front of the ship. The only thing we truly missed was the specialty restaurant and the spa menu for lunch, but the salads at lunch in the buffet were nice.

I would go on Galaxy again in a heartbeat; and I agree that the negative comments from others really seemed to me to be unwarranted. The Galaxy is a ship, which, while showing some wear, is in much better shape than we expected. I look forward to cruising on her again soon. :)

Pat C, Have a wonderful trip... let me know how it compares to Hawaii! We surely enjoyed our trip on the Galaxy... and I know that you will too.

Sailorgirl, brand new equipment and refurbished gym took place on our cruise... heard lots of comments how state of the art the machines were... and I thought the fish on the cruise (except the cod) was just fine. Loved the shrimp cocktails.

Enjoy the Galaxy. We surely did.

Hi Larry
The only thing missing on this trip will be the Martini Gang and The Posse. We made so many new friends on our Hawaii trip that it probably won't compare. Remember those cc get-togethers? Where will we find another Whooee?? That was the largest cc group I've ever been involved with.

My kids are sailing on Century in April with Gary, Bob, Joan, George and Phil. Now, that's a great group!

I'll give you a report when we return but I'm sure I can rely on you and Sue to have given us all the great details.

Pat C

Archived