Demise of Galaxy premature

chessbriar

I just returned from the Galaxy and the reports I have read on these boards just don't apply. I will answer questions, but here is a few things to get things started. The Thalassotherapy pool was open and wonderful, the hot tubs all worked, the pool deck has been completed. The roof over the Oasis Pool also called Winter Garden was working. We saw constant work all over the ship. They are still replacing beds and bedding. The are replacing carpeting. They are doing electrical work that covers the TVs and a huge number of added security cameras. We had a problem with our cabin with the Fridge, they found us a comparable cabin within hours and moved us. The next day we saw every bit of our furniture on the back deck. The fixed the problem and replaced the carpeting and bedding while they were at it. I saw constant work involving ship surfaces, sanding painting, and varnishing.

Almost all of this work was done once everyone had gone ashore. We took our time getting off the ship and saw the guys working hard. Everyone wants a perfect ships, but no one wants the inconvenience of the upkeep. They are doing a great job of working on the ship and she looks great.

Is she perfect? No. The disco's windows have not been replaced and I got two answers, this spring and next spring. So we'll see what happens. Did it ruin my cruise? Not even close. As to plywood in a window, yes it's there, but in one of the corners of the Strat you don't really see unless you are looking for it.

It's nice to see issues being addressed.

I would sail on her again tomorrow if I could. And of course, the service was top notch.

Thanks, Chessbriar! :D That was my take on Galaxy during our cruise (the one just prior to yours). This was quite possibly our best cruise yet out of 21 cruises, 19 on Celebrity. (I didn't see the plywood. gosh, did I miss that much???) I did enjoy the food (gained 4 lbs) and REALLY enjoyed the service! We had a full (to the gills) ship, and it didn't really feel crowded. What were all those cruise critic posters bitching and moaning about? THAT'S what I wanna know? Makes me wonder if they were even ON Galaxy!:cool:

Usha,

Thanks for keeping the ship in good condion.

Further info as I'll answer questions about the cruise as well, 2 formal nights, Not Saturdays as I expected. The do a white night party as well. 3 Informal. If you are Elite, take an extra informal. They are doing extra head tables on the cruise. Trying something new, 12 head tables, 6 main and 6 late seating. On casual nights you are requested to dress informal to go to the head table.

Hi Rick !

I am very happy to hear you had a great time on Galaxy. I am not surprised at all. I am glad to hear that Celebrity is working hard to spruce her up !

While you were on Galaxy, I started a 2008/2009 Itineraries Thread. Here is the link: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=501658

I hope you will continue the great work you have done in the past. If the Captains Club rep that I spoke with on the phone last week was accurate, we should see the Europe itineraries soon. I am sure there are many of us waiting in anticipation, to see if there are any surprises such as new itineraries and destinations ahead.

Thanks for the excellent update, and Welcome home !

Usha,

Thanks for keeping the ship in good condion.

Further info as I'll answer questions about the cruise as well, 2 formal nights, Not Saturdays as I expected. The do a white night party as well. 3 Informal. If you are Elite, take an extra informal. They are doing extra head tables on the cruise. Trying something new, 12 head tables, 6 main and 6 late seating. On casual nights you are requested to dress informal to go to the head table.

Rick, I'm afraid I don't understand this post. Could you further explain what you mean here? I would appreciate it.

I'm so grateful for your original post! We have been on 2 previous Galaxy cruises, and have one coming up this December. Galaxy has never let us down, and I never thought we would be disappointed this December, either! Nice to know that the ship will be in even better shape than we remember it!

We are cruising on Infinity in less than 3 weeks, and I only hope this cruise will be as nice as the 2 we have experienced on Galaxy.

Will you be posting a review any time soon? And pictures?, I love pictures!!!!

Thanks for your help!

Donna

Hi Rick:) thanks for the update!

I am not sure I understand your previous post either:confused:

6 main, 6 late? 12 head tables?

Maybe I am just slow? But its not making sense to me.

A further explanation would be appreciated:)

I will be sailing her next March......your review confirms

I am making a good decision:) thanks!

Thanks, Rick. Your experience on the Galaxy exactly parallels ours on the Mercury in January. Lots of "grumbling" about the condition and maintance of the ship and essentially none of it true.

Glad your cruise was as good as ours.

We just returned from the Galaxy as well. My complaint is about the dinner menu. The fish choices were AWFUL. Out of 11 days, I had 2 good fish dishes. Even at the captain's table, where I ordered salmon, I couldn't eat it.

Question:

All of you who have sailed on so many Celebrity cruises... Do you think the food is better on a more expensive cruise...for example...a costly European one? The reason I ask is because this sailing was very CHEAP and I wonder if they cut costs on the food.

Hi!

Thanks for a great review. I will be sailing this summer in the Med and am always relieved when I read a good review as to the condition of the Galaxy and the work being done to maintain and improve the facilities onboard.

Can you explain a little bit about the white party?

Thanks!

I am not sure I understand your previous post either:confused:

6 main, 6 late? 12 head tables?

Maybe I am just slow? But its not making sense to me.

A further explanation would be appreciated:)

I believe what he is saying is that they are offering additional "seatings" with crew members on non-formal eveings so additional "Elite" cruisers can dine at a table with staff members. 6 tables at main seating, and 6 tables at late seating. (Excuse me for answering for you Rick, especially if I am wrong. :D )

:) Thank you for the explanation! Now that makes sense;)

I guess my elevator just doesn't go all the way to the top

sometimes:rolleyes:

What were all those cruise critic posters bitching and moaning about? THAT'S what I wanna know? Makes me wonder if they were even ON Galaxy!

Hi Usha - there were quite a number of posts by one poster (with multiple user names) who had not sailed on Galaxy but who kept repeating the same few complaints (plywood, pool roof-top) .... info that he had read on other posts. He was not getting the facts straight, so he dropped this topic when posters who had sailed on Galaxy pointed out his inaccuracies.

He is still reappearing under new usernames - each time he gets caught and ousted, he pops up under a new identity just to repeat the same old stuff - mostly related to pods. It would be nice if he would just say what his real complaint is with Celebrity .... he never mentions which cruises he has taken and I get the impression that he hasn't taken any .... but I wonder why he is so intent on discouraging others from sailing on Celebrity :( I don't think he realizes that he is vastly outnumbered by those of us who are quite happy with Celebrity :)

Rick, glad you enjoyed your cruise. Good to hear they are continuing work on Galaxy. The foggy windows in the Stratosphere didn't bother me either as I wasn't in there much during the daytime.

Don't worry Lois. I haven't seen the Penthouse floor in ages;)

Phil

:) Thank you for the explanation! Now that makes sense;)

Hey, I didn't feel that way toward you at all. I could see where the confusion could sit in. Heck, I am confused half the time myself. :)

Hi!

Thanks for a great review. I will be sailing this summer in the Med and am always relieved when I read a good review as to the condition of the Galaxy and the work being done to maintain and improve the facilities onboard.

Can you explain a little bit about the white party?

Thanks!

Texed covered the head table situation. There are a total of 12 Captain's tables dinners. X is trying this on Galaxy and Mercury to give a little something to the Elite members and Suite guests. Depending on how it goes we might see it fleet wide. My guess is if there are too many that decline the invite, they will go bakc to the standard on formal nights only.

As to white night. They started this on the Summit and Connie tied to CDS. It's another theme party. It's done on casual night so the dress code is listed as casual/white for the evening. In other words they are a little more lenient on the dress code as long as it's white. The call the evening White Night/Party Gras. People can make masks or they will paint your face for you. They have black lights in the Strat and smog/fog machines running. It's just a huge party that went over well. It's done the night of Curacao, where they sell a lot of linen clothing so you can pick up something on shore.

It certainly is gratifying to know that we won't be sailing in an "old rust bucket" in November when we do our Galaxy cruise!;) ;) After reading so many posts regarding Galaxy's supposedly terrible condition, I had to wonder why Celebrity - or any other reputable cruise line - would keep such a ship in service? I also had to consider as well, if those posts were indeed, factual.

I have to tell you, though, that while I thoroughly enjoy reading all the comments and opinions expressed on the numerous threads, I tend to like to draw my own conclusions and base those on my own actual experiences. That said, it's still nice to read of the work being done on the ship and a more positive commentary. Thank you.

Mary

Rick

Thanks so much for your great update on the Galaxy. We booked a while ago and everyone was saying all the bad things but I can put up with many bad things so long as I get cruise pampering. Delighted to hear that news of the Galaxy's demise was premature and I look forward to May even more than ever.

Are there any crew we should look out for specifically who might still be aboard then?

Like the idea of the hosted table on other nights - I take it the hosting duties are shared around but the format - nice wine and a photo is the same as Formal nights?

Oh you have made me get excited about my upcoming holiday

AJ

PS There is a stain on the carpet on my floor here and my bed is lumpy where should I complain?

Oh darn it cant complain I am at home

AJ,

Unfortunately, Most of our friends will be heading home before you get there.

Melanie - Captain's Club Hostess is being promoted and moving to the Summit then Mercury

Jody - Activities Manager should still be there.

Kevin - Activity staff - Is getting off the ship during the charter

Noemi - Activity Staff -Got off with us and saw her in airport to say goodbye. Headed to Summit or Journey

Laura - Future cruise consultant - should be on vacation.

Katu - Bar servine in Rondezvous should still be there.

Farieda - Event Coordinator, boarded in Aruba she will be there. Touch base with me when you get closer.

Sonja - Hotel Director will be home.

Patricia - Asst Hotel Manager should be home

Vesna - Guest relations - will still be there. Great girl from Serbia. Ran into her a number of times on shore.

Jesus - Waiter should be there.

Kelly(SP)- Asst Waiter should be there.

Jenette - Bar server- will be there

Tippy - Bar server in Martini Bar will be there.

Tich, Lori, Laura, Lauren, and Patrick - Dancers should be there.

Donnell - CD will be gone.

Uttam - Food & Beverage Manager should be gone.

Tom- Golf Pro, should be there. He can't decide.

As you can tell we met a lot of people who really helped make our vacation great. The staff was incredibly friendly. Saw some old friends and made some new ones.

You'll find it easy to have a great time.

Hi Usha - there were quite a number of posts by one poster (with multiple user names) who had not sailed on Galaxy but who kept repeating the same few complaints (plywood, pool roof-top) .... info that he had read on other posts. He was not getting the facts straight, so he dropped this topic when posters who had sailed on Galaxy pointed out his inaccuracies.

He is still reappearing under new usernames - each time he gets caught and ousted, he pops up under a new identity just to repeat the same old stuff - mostly related to pods. It would be nice if he would just say what his real complaint is with Celebrity .... he never mentions which cruises he has taken and I get the impression that he hasn't taken any .... but I wonder why he is so intent on discouraging others from sailing on Celebrity :( I don't think he realizes that he is vastly outnumbered by those of us who are quite happy with Celebrity :)

Thank you. Could not have said it better myself.

marilyn

Texed covered the head table situation. There are a total of 12 Captain's tables dinners. X is trying this on Galaxy and Mercury to give a little something to the Elite members and Suite guests. Depending on how it goes we might see it fleet wide. My guess is if there are too many that decline the invite, they will go bakc to the standard on formal nights only.

As to white night. They started this on the Summit and Connie tied to CDS. It's another theme party. It's done on casual night so the dress code is listed as casual/white for the evening. In other words they are a little more lenient on the dress code as long as it's white. The call the evening White Night/Party Gras. People can make masks or they will paint your face for you. They have black lights in the Strat and smog/fog machines running. It's just a huge party that went over well. It's done the night of Curacao, where they sell a lot of linen clothing so you can pick up something on shore.

Sounds like a great time . . . I hope they carry it over to the Mediterranean cruises this summer!

Thanks for the information!

I'm one of the people who was sad about the condition of the ship.

I still say that this is the most beautifully designed ship that I have ever been on--and I am a loyal HAL cruiser who will be returning to HAL--but it does my heart good to hear that so much work is being done to spruce up this wonderful ship.

What I don't understand is why she was allowed to get so worn in the first place--she should be an elegant jewel of the fleet like the Prinsendam is for HAL, not one of the smaller ships that don't have all the bells and whistles of the M class.

Can you tell I'm still in love with her...Her bell deserves to get polished!!!!

We were on Galaxy a couple years ago and then a couple weeks ago. It wasn't bad in 2005... but I have to say they've done alot of work more recently, so it is possible that some of the negative comments are just out-of-date. John, the CD on our cruise, explained that they gave Mercury the dry dock originally intended for Galaxy, as Mercury was heading out to the the Pacific cruises. So... they stepped up the interim work on Galaxy - and I think it shows.

However... for anyone that is REALLY worried, send us your tickets and Sue and I will be glad to sail on your behalf... so that you don't risk disappointment ;-)

Reading this thread reminded me that my best friend and her DH just got home from this cruise, too. I called her and asked her about the condition of the ship, food, etc. She said that the ship was in good condition overall and that improvements were being done during the cruise, as some above posters said. I asked her about the fish dishes and she said she had fish almost every night and it was wonderful. Different strokes.....I guess.

I agree with Greeneg, a fellow MR cruiser on Mercury. She was fine, too, not ready to be scrapped anytime soon.

We were on Galaxy in Feb. '05 out of Galveston to the PC and had a wonderful cruise. Reading negative posts about her, I couldn't figure out how she had deteriorated so much in two years. We are planning to cruise with my friend and her DH again on Galaxy to the Med. in summer '09. We both took our first X cruise together on Summit in 8/03 for an Alaska cruise/tour and they went a few weeks before us to the PC on Horizon. We also sailed together on Jewel last June, possibly the best cruise of them all. We stick to RCLL and X and have always had great trips.

1/02 Explorer E. Carib.

1/03 Explorer W. Carib.

8/03 Summit Alaska cruise/tour

2/04 Adventure S. Carib.

2/05 Galaxy Panama Canal

6/6 Jewel Brit./Nor. Fjords + 3 days in London

1/07 Mercury Mexican Riviera

1/08 Mercury Aust/NZ

Archived