Anyone else have problems with elevators on the Grand Princess?

conversationist

Last month I was on the Grand Princess and one thing drove me crazy-- THE ELEVATORS. I took alot of elevator rides and they were always crowded and we always waited a long time. It was always a long wait for an elevator and when they finally came it was jammed packed. In some cases I got claustrophobic and I was concerned the elevator would get stuck and I would have a panic attack.

Anyone else bothered by the elevators on Princess?

I'm always bothered by elevators. It seems that happens almost anyplace you are. When we were on the Grand 2 years ago as well as the GOS this past Oct. There always seems to be a group waiting and the elevator is full. I always walk the stairs.

We always take the stairs, even from promanade to lido deck. It's good exercise. We are in our early 60's, so unless you have some physical problem that prohibits you from taking the stairs you should try it. It sure beats the aggrivation of wating for an elevator.

Two cruises on the Grand, and both times they were horrible. True, these cruises were two years ago, but even then they were still ridiculous. It was after the 2nd trip on the Grand that I just gave up and decided to take the stairs in the future. I feel like I actually get where I need to go faster as a result, not to mention the exercise. :)

We also try to take the stairs on cruise ships. That way I can justify having dessert. But when we were on the Grand, I did use the elevator one time when I had my hands full bringing back a before-dinner snack from the Horizon Court. Just after getting back to the cabin, the power went off. I was glad I wasn't stuck in the elevator. The power came back on about 15 minutes later.

We also try to take the stairs on cruise ships. That way I can justify having dessert. But when we were on the Grand, I did use the elevator one time when I had my hands full bringing back a before-dinner snack from the Horizon Court. Just after getting back to the cabin, the power went off. I was glad I wasn't stuck in the elevator. The power came back on about 15 minutes later.

Aside from the great exercise in walking, one reason why I really don't like to go on elevator - a power outage and being stuck in it or jolted by the stop.

I think the biggest problem that I have seen with the lifts is that each bank has it's own call button. When waiting, invariably, all of them get pressed, so that all lifts get called on multiple floors. If they only put one call button that called any one lift, then the others would not be needlessly stopping at each empty floor.

This would be similar to an office building where each floor has a single up and down call button, and only one lifts stops.

Cheers,

Peter

A comedian on our last cruise said that he met a guy on the elevator who was going up to the gym to use the Stair Master!!!

I wonder if that's a joke or reality - almost afraid to guess. I have a disability, but I try to take the stairs as much as possible, especially if it's three decks or less. never could understand those able-bodied that would wait five minutes to go up (or down) one level.

Charlie

Last month I was on the Grand Princess and one thing drove me crazy-- THE ELEVATORS. I took alot of elevator rides and they were always crowded and we always waited a long time. It was always a long wait for an elevator and when they finally came it was jammed packed.

I think that is the same on all Princess ships. :)

Other then the Crown Princess elevators being very hot they don't bother me.

Take the stairs, its a good work out.. They say the average cruiser gains 5 pounds.

The only time i use the elevators is when i am coming from a late night at the club, elevators are empty late at night!!

On the Regal a few years back, the weight limit kept us on floors forever. So many people trying to get on and they wouldn't get off so we sat there until out of frustration someone in the back would give in and get off. It became a joke, just can't let things like that ruin your cruise.

We are in our mid 50s and took the stairs most of the time on the Grand in January. However, sometimes we had a long way to go and took the elevator which involved long waits and crowds. That is the problem with being on a ship like the Grand that holds nearly 3000. 2 years ago we sailed to Alaska on the Coral which has 1950 - all the difference in the world.

We did love our cruise, but the waits at the elevator when we did take it were a real nuisance. I guess it would help if they had benches out in the lobby where you meet an elevator if you have to wait a lengthy period.

We are stair users for the extra dessert, BUT...on the Grand Princess, if you have a midship cabin, you are stuck with no option other than walking fore or aft to get to a staircase. There is NO MIDSHIP STAIRCASE! But, IMO that adds to the elevator usage & slows things up even more.

We solved our situation by booking an aft cabin on our next trip on that ship.

We are stair users for the extra dessert, BUT...on the Grand Princess, if you have a midship cabin, you are stuck with no option other than walking fore or aft to get to a staircase. There is NO MIDSHIP STAIRCASE! But, IMO that adds to the elevator usage & slows things up even more.

Yes, we were mid ship also, but the walking is such good exercise!!!

I'm confused. I've never been on the Grand but the Princess web site shows a midship staircase. Is there really no staircase midship? Does anybody know about a midship staircase on the Diamond?

I'm confused. I've never been on the Grand but the Princess web site shows a midship staircase. Is there really no staircase midship? Does anybody know about a midship staircase on the Diamond?

You're right! The deck plans do show a mid ship staircase. That staircase on the Grand is for crew only. It's a design flaw Princess corrected with the subsequent ships. The sister ships all have mid ship stairs for passenger use.

You're right! The deck plans do show a mid ship staircase. That staircase on the Grand is for crew only. It's a design flaw Princess corrected with the subsequent ships. The sister ships all have mid ship stairs for passenger use.

Thank you, Cindy, for clearing that up for me! I intentionally chose a room close to the elevators/stairs, and would hate to have to wait for the elevator every time I wanted to go somewhere or navagate the hallways to get to a forward or aft staircase!

Archived