Searching for Passengers left @ Port

cdnprincess

I've been on 21 CCL cruises and I know that if you take the transfere tha CCL provides you will get to the ship they will not leave without you and that goes for shore tours if something happens they will not leave without you.

Gary.

Sorry but that makes no sense....you say you have idea how ports or their authorities work...yet you just claimed to know how it works??

There have been plenty of stories of ships waiting, of tenders taking late passengers out....this was a matter of minutes...4:10...and the CARNIVAL REPS were in touch with the ship and assuring them they were getting on...

this is totally different and I bet if this happened to others they would be even madder and demanding help and refunds etc...

IF they were back at the airport or hours away....then I guess I can see it, the ship would have to leave...but....they were right there and 20 people is a lot of people to leave behind...

I hope that some fair resolution is made about this...I would also pursue the bus/the carnival reps who were in "touch" with the ship...??

Can't they verify what they told the people on the bus?? This is really a sad story

Cheri, I assumed that my use of the words probably and guessing indicated that I was just that--speculating. The feedback prior to that about whether ships have to stay or go was based 100% on reading this entire thread and getting the opinions of others. Sorry if you read it any other way.

I've been on 21 CCL cruises and I know that if you take the transfere tha CCL provides you will get to the ship they will not leave without you and that goes for shore tours if something happens they will not leave without you.

Gary.

Now after reading the plight of the OP you just found out that your statement is in fact not true. Good luck in the future with the CCL transfers.

Bill

Gary.

When we went on our cruise 10 yrs ago with CCL we were told the same thing because we wanted to do an excursion with a local. They said the only problem they had with us doing it is if we are late the ship will not wait, but with the ship's excursions there was not problem (we were on time anyway)

I will be sending my letters today (registered) and I will see what happens, but I have some wonderful info here.

Gary.

Did you even read the original story? It was a CCL provided transfer, the ship indeed did not wait?

Wow, I've looked through all nine pages of posts and it looks like this was just a bad situation all around. I am sorry that you had to miss your cruise. I know it would be very disappointing. I think the key to help prevent this type of situation is to try to do as much research as possible prior to your vacation. Carnival has an embarkstion section (http://www.carnival.com/CMS/Static_Templates/EMB_embark_info.aspx) that covers all kinds of good information for all their ports (directions, approximate travel times, etc). It does state that you need to be checked in one hour prior to your cruise leaving (which would mean a 3pm check in at the lastest in this case).

In my own personal experience, we look at the latest time your can arrive and the pier and do some reverse time allowances to see if we can book same day flight or should come in the day before. We took our fall cruise out of Port Canaveral and had the same time line (need to check in by 3pm) so we booked the earliest flight in that day (10:30 am arrival). In our minds, this would allow a few hours of flight delay and trafffic for the drive. We did get a little stressed because our flight was actually delayed by 1 hr and 10 mins because we were short one flight attendant (1st time for everything). This just shows that anything can happen to cause a delay. You CAN fly in the same day but make sure you have plenty of time cusion because anything can happen.

OP - please keep us posted on your situation. We are eager to hear what happens. I am very sorry you had to miss your cruise. Good luck!

Gary.

Shipbound,

Did you miss the thread on the ship leaving passengers on a ships tour behind in Costa maya because they were running late?

Steve

I was booked on Sensation Mar 1-4th and Bus was late and we missed ship. I am looking for the other passengers out there that were on the same bus. Are you there?

Wow cdnpricess! Thera are no other words for this -- this STINKS! (well, there are other wds, but we can't write them here).

i cannot believe this happened to you. i would not, under any circumstances, give up on fighting for some restitution. if i am understanding you correctly, your flight arrived on-time, and you had purchased carnival transfers. the transfer held up at the airport for another flight causing you to miss the ship.

Many, Many errors here. the carnival employee ground crew screwed up big time by not getting you on your way. carnival independently contracts w/ private bus service (i think it's Mears), carnival has privity of contract w/ them, not you. carnival can look to mears to make them whole. but, it is carnival that you must look to. and i believe they owe you, at minimum, a full refund. don't give up. this is incredible.

AND, thank you soooo much for sharing it! i have, on many occasions, used their ground transporatation (though only once on the way to the ship, as i almost always go in a day or 2 b/4 sailing). this is a terrible story (and i'm so sorry that it happened to you), but it is an important one for people to be aware of -- anyone to be aware of who uses the transfers -- lesson learned here now -- get the names of the driver and ground crew, time, etc. demand to be taken immediately or, demand your luggage be off loaded, get in the nearest cab and get a receipt for it!

Best of luck to you.

Shipbound,

Did you miss the thread on the ship leaving passengers on a ships tour behind in Costa maya because they were running late?

Steve

Really? Did they get compensated or did they have to pay to get to the next port?

I like taking vacations where I really don't have to think. Cruising has become complicated. I hate wearing a watch on vacation too, but you can't on a cruise.

What can I say? I'm really sorry this happened to the OP. I think Carnival is responsible and hope they do something to compensate you.

What I don't get is why they had a bus so late going to the ship. If a ship sails at 4:00pm I think all passengers should be on board by about 2:00pm.

When we're at a port stop we plan to return 2 hours before sailing.

When hubby and I cruise, yes we fly at least the day before. Day of the cruise though we leave wherever we are early so at least if something goes wrong (traffic/whatever) we have time to get to the ship long before it sails.

Wow cdnpricess! Thera are no other words for this -- this STINKS! (well, there are other wds, but we can't write them here).

i cannot believe this happened to you. i would not, under any circumstances, give up on fighting for some restitution. if i am understanding you correctly, your flight arrived on-time, and you had purchased carnival transfers. the transfer held up at the airport for another flight causing you to miss the ship.

Many, Many errors here. the carnival employee ground crew screwed up big time by not getting you on your way. carnival independently contracts w/ private bus service (i think it's Mears), carnival has privity of contract w/ them, not you. carnival can look to mears to make them whole. but, it is carnival that you must look to. and i believe they owe you, at minimum, a full refund. don't give up. this is incredible.

AND, thank you soooo much for sharing it! i have, on many occasions, used their ground transporatation (though only once on the way to the ship, as i almost always go in a day or 2 b/4 sailing). this is a terrible story (and i'm so sorry that it happened to you), but it is an important one for people to be aware of -- anyone to be aware of who uses the transfers -- lesson learned here now -- get the names of the driver and ground crew, time, etc. demand to be taken immediately or, demand your luggage be off loaded, get in the nearest cab and get a receipt for it!

Best of luck to you.

The flight was 50 min late, but had it been on time it did not matter, because we found out a couple who arrived earlier was on the bus since 1:30. Even if we had made it in time, we would have still been on the same bus because it had to be at a certain capacity to go. The reason we were late is because we waited for another flight (that was late) to come in. We were on the bus from 2:50 until 3:40 just waiting.

It was funny because we were all upset. The driver dropped us off back at the airport and then just dissapeared! From 4 Carnival employees there were only 2 left, and only because we kept our eye on them and did not let them go until our ??? were answered.

What can I say? I'm really sorry this happened to the OP. I think Carnival is responsible and hope they do something to compensate you.

What I don't get is why they had a bus so late going to the ship. If a ship sails at 4:00pm I think all passengers should be on board by about 2:00pm.

When we're at a port stop we plan to return 2 hours before sailing.

When hubby and I cruise, yes we fly at least the day before. Day of the cruise though we leave wherever we are early so at least if something goes wrong (traffic/whatever) we have time to get to the ship long before it sails.

I'm sorry but that 2:00pm is not correct. When you book air through Carnival they often have you on flights that don't arrive until after 2pm.

This is from Carnivals website:

Do You Offer Transportation to Port Canaveral?

Advance Reservations for Transfers

Orlando International Airport - Port Canaveral

This service will be available on the day of embarkation and immediately following debarkation only.

One Way: $35

Round Trip: $70

Transfer/Meet and Greet Service begins at 10:30am "upon arrival" at Baggage Claim

motor coach service begins at 11:00am

Sensation Ship Embarkation hours: 1:30PM - 3:30PM

Latest arrival flights before embarkation: 1:30PM

Earliest return flights after debarkation: 12:20PM

Glory, Elation and Fantasy Embarkation hours: 1:30PM - 3:30PM

Latest arrival flights before embarkation: 2:00PM

Earliest return flights after debarkation: 12:00PM

Purchase of Transfers Day of Embarkation/Debarkation

Day of Embarkation: Transfers can be purchased at the Orlando airport between 10:30AM and 2:00PM on the ground level with a Mears staff member.

Day of Debarkation: The Information Desk on board the ship sells one-way return transfers to the airport for guests who did not purchase the transfers in advance.

Bill

I'm sorry but that 2:00pm is not correct. When you book air through Carnival they often have you on flights that don't arrive until after 2pm.

This is from Carnivals website:

Do You Offer Transportation to Port Canaveral?

Advance Reservations for Transfers

Orlando International Airport - Port Canaveral

This service will be available on the day of embarkation and immediately following debarkation only.

One Way: $35

Round Trip: $70

Transfer/Meet and Greet Service begins at 10:30am "upon arrival" at Baggage Claim

motor coach service begins at 11:00am

Sensation Ship Embarkation hours: 1:30PM - 3:30PM

Latest arrival flights before embarkation: 1:30PM

Earliest return flights after debarkation: 12:20PM

Glory, Elation and Fantasy Embarkation hours: 1:30PM - 3:30PM

Latest arrival flights before embarkation: 2:00PM

Earliest return flights after debarkation: 12:00PM

Purchase of Transfers Day of Embarkation/Debarkation

Day of Embarkation: Transfers can be purchased at the Orlando airport between 10:30AM and 2:00PM on the ground level with a Mears staff member.

Day of Debarkation: The Information Desk on board the ship sells one-way return transfers to the airport for guests who did not purchase the transfers in advance.

Bill

Where did you find this? I would love to add it with my letter.

Never mind I found it

Thanks

Glad I read this first. I just went back and got the link and was ready to post it. The more info you are armed with the stronger your case is. Until you reach somebody higher up in authority I'm afraid all you'll hear is the company line. "Not our fault" This seems like a no brainer to me but what do I know.:rolleyes:

Bill

Really? Did they get compensated or did they have to pay to get to the next port?

I like taking vacations where I really don't have to think. Cruising has become complicated. I hate wearing a watch on vacation too, but you can't on a cruise.

I looked for it on the boards and I can't find it:confused: .They were on a diving excursion in Costa maya and the dive shop owner had to drive them 5 hours to the airport the next day and I believe they stayed in Costa that night.No money,no nothing.

Steve

I looked for it on the boards and I can't find it:confused: .They were on a diving excursion in Costa maya and the dive shop owner had to drive them 5 hours to the airport the next day and I believe they stayed in Costa that night.No money,no nothing.

Steve

I guess no passport either?! Scary to think you have no ID or money.:eek:

I am pretty sure the thread about the couple left in port was deleted.

I wish they'd just lock the threads that get out of hand rather than deleting them. There was good information in it that could help others.

Makes you wonder if they were given a call from CCL legal to delete it?:eek:

Steve

Yeah like someone above posted, why would Carnival have the bus leaving with a last departure time of 3pm if the ship leaves at 4pm and they want you on the ship 30 mins prior to that AND it is about a 30-45 min drive from MCO to the Port? I mean talk about cutting it so close it stings.

Steve

pretty sure that post was pulled. Don't remeber what for though. Probably got into a big argument as always!:rolleyes:

Bill

Archived