Star Hints Plz

mattR

Jana, the singer and guiter player is awesome!! (You will find her in the Star Bar and Gatsby's) Also, the New Year's Eve Party is a blast! My husband actually danced with me that night- he hasn't danced with me since our wedding! :D

When there isn't anything going on in the Spinnaker Lounge, you can walk to the back of the stage and not only learn everything there is to learn about piloting the ship, you can look down into the bridge! Pretty awesome really. When we were coming back into LA from the MR, we watched the pilot boat approach on the radar and watched all the channel markers and other ships as we approached.

Red Lion pub trivia at 5:00 is a lot of fun. We were also offered popcorn in the Spinniker lounge in the evening. We always tipped our servers a little extra and were given OUTSTANDING service for the entire cruise. (This is not necessary but it was greatly appreciated.) ;)

I'm just off the star. Each day I'd walk by the Versailles to check out the menu. Then at dinner time if I was still undecided, I'd hop up to 12, take a look at the buffet, get on the elevator go down to 8, walk through the blue lagoon, and then down to the versailes. They have free ice cream all afternoon at least in the aft on 12 near the kids spash down pool. Two tips that helped my cruise. 1)Bring a night light for inside cabin. This keeps it from being totally dark. 2)Bring baby powder. When you get sandy from the beaches or whatever, sprinkle powder on the sand and it will wipe off easily. The 7:30 shows were more filled than the later. We always sent a runner to go down and save some seats. The later show had no need for this. On the sunny days its almost impossible to find a deck chair. Everyone saves chairs all day, which I personally think is rude. Your port days are what you make them. Find something you like to do and enjoy. Some people like to take a plate from the chocolate buffet back to their cabin to enjoy there.

You can book your pay restaurants and also Endless Summer (no charge) and La Trattoria (no Charge) at 8:00 am from your room or at the reservation desk in the atrium in person for the next 48 hours (today and tomorrow). Teppanyaki goes fast (only 3 res times per day, only seats 12) but well worth it. Endless Summer has great Mexican food and La trattoria has great Italian food and the meal in Le Bistro (French) is to die for.

For the gents, the mens washroom by the main pool has an oceanview

Red Lion pub trivia at 5:00 is a lot of fun. We were also offered popcorn in the Spinniker lounge in the evening. We always tipped our servers a little extra and were given OUTSTANDING service for the entire cruise. (This is not necessary but it was greatly appreciated.) ;)

So you tipped them at the start of the meal? How much?

You can book your pay restaurants and also Endless Summer (no charge) and La Trattoria (no Charge) at 8:00 am from your room or at the reservation desk in the atrium in person for the next 48 hours (today and tomorrow). Teppanyaki goes fast (only 3 res times per day, only seats 12) but well worth it. Endless Summer has great Mexican food and La trattoria has great Italian food and the meal in Le Bistro (French) is to die for.

For the gents, the mens washroom by the main pool has an oceanview

What should one expect to pay at Teppanyaki per adult? Per Child?

Teppanyaki the cover charge was 20.00 per adult, they did not charge my daughter who was eleven at the time(will be twelve in April)

Also at Le Bistro 15.00 per adult they also did not charge my daughter.

Other cover charges are as follows per adult

Soho 15.00

Cagney's 20.00

Ginza 10.00

Sushi Bar 15.00

All other restaurants are no charge

On our March 6th cruise we had our itinery changed to Manzanillo, Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan and Cabo san Lucas.

If you have any questions on the excurtions or what we did in the ports feel free to ask.

What cruise are you taking on the Star? Free ice cream aft deck 12 most of the day. You can look down onto the Bridge in Spinnakers lounge during the daytime. Blue Lagoon is a great burger...and place to watch people!

On our Alaska cruise, I got up at sunrise the day we entered into Glacier Bay! Went to Spinnakers....to cold for outside at that hour....took my seat at the front window....AMAZING! It was foggy, and just as a curtain opens on a stage, the fog lifted to the most beautiful sight I had ever seen. The Water was like Glass, and you could see whales all over the place. Only me and about 5 other people saw that sight(from Spinnakers anyway), If you are going to Alaska, it's worth it to get up early!

Teppanyaki the cover charge was 20.00 per adult, they did not charge my daughter who was eleven at the time(will be twelve in April)

Also at Le Bistro 15.00 per adult they also did not charge my daughter.

Other cover charges are as follows per adult

Soho 15.00

Cagney's 20.00

Ginza 10.00

Sushi Bar 15.00

All other restaurants are no charge

On our March 6th cruise we had our itinery changed to Manzanillo, Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan and Cabo san Lucas.

If you have any questions on the excurtions or what we did in the ports feel free to ask.

UkieCruzer,

If you could elaborate on the shore excursions that were offered in Mazatlan and Manzanillo, I would really appreciate it. Did you do a ship tour or go it on your own? What would you recommend at these ports to a person not interested in shopping or snorkeling?:)

Thanks!

Jessica

The warm, soft pretzels in the Bier Garten are excellent.

The barbeques served poolside, love them.

Movie theater is great when you have had too much sun.

The slides are a lot of fun... you'll feel like a kid again. The best is the pool when at sea because it is like a wave pool.

Don't miss the Chocoholic Buffet... my favorite is the chocolate dipped fruit.

Eat dinner, see a show go back for dessert. Or, get dessert to go and bring it back to your room.

I'll keep thinking of more... love the Star.

The warm, soft pretzels in the Bier Garten are excellent.

The barbeques served poolside, love them.

Movie theater is great when you have had too much sun.

The slides are a lot of fun... you'll feel like a kid again. The best is the pool when at sea because it is like a wave pool.

Don't miss the Chocoholic Buffet... my favorite is the chocolate dipped fruit.

Eat dinner, see a show go back for dessert. Or, get dessert to go and bring it back to your room.

I'll keep thinking of more... love the Star.

Thank you for the tip about the soft pretzels! My DS 11 1/2 loves those! Do you remember how much they were? Thanks for the great tip!!!!:D

Adams.580

Manzanillo is just a large industrial port. Not much to do there. Previously vacationed there about 15 years ago. We took a cab to Las Hadas (where the movie 10 was filmed with Bo Dereck) about $10.00. They let you use all the facilities for $30.00 each (no charge for my 11 year old daughter). In return the give you coupons worth 300 pesos each that you can use for drinks, lunch, chair and umbrella rentals. We hung out by the freshwater pool and used our coupons for drinks, lunch and ice cream. We had some coupons left over and just used them for bottled water and cokes when we left. The beach is nice and there are no vendors on the beach or property to bother you. No problem getting a cab back to the ship.

In Mazatlan we got off the ship and at the port we used a guy called Roberto who for $10.00 each took us on a 1 hour quick tour and dropped us off at the Golden Zone. We went with 2 other couples that he sold his tour to in his 12 seater air conditioned van. (very comfortable). Roberto's english was excellent and he was very informative. We stopped at the top of a very big hill and we could see the lighthouse and the whole town including the port. Then we drove over to where the cliffdivers and saw them dive. Then he drove through the shrimp market and flower market and then he dropped us off at the golden zone where you could go shopping or just cross the street thru one of the hotels down to the beach. The hotels will let you use their chairs as long as you buy drinks and food. Roberto will come back later if you want for $5.00 each to drive you back to the port if you want to with a little tour back to the ship. We just took a cab back for $10 because we didn't know how long we would spend at the Golden Zone.

No problem getting a cab back to the ship.

In Puerto Vallarta we booked a canopy tour on the internet with a company called Canopy Los Veranos. http://www.canopytours-vallarta.com .

Archived