Ships to avoid??

MillbrookMom

As a family cruising (kids will be either 9 and 11 or 10 and 12 when we go) are there any ships? or cruiselines that we should avoid?

We don't want to spend a bundle, but also want to make sure we enjoy the trip. :confused:

Exactly what I was going to say.

You'll have a great time on any of the mass cruiselines like Carnival, Royal Carribean, NCL, Princess and Disney. They all welcome families and have wonderful kids programs.

Each cruiseline has it's own strengths.

Carnival and NCL because the kids club starts at age 2. (You won't need that for your family). 24 hour pizza and ice cream is a plus for older kids.

RCCL because the Voyager class and Freedom class ships have MANY ammenities for the ages of the kids you listed. Ice Skating, rock wall climbing and surfing on the flow rider (Freedom class only)

Disney because the adult areas are truly ADULT areas where kids are not allowed. But it is the most expensive.

For a family with kids those ages, I would choose RCCL Voyager or Freedom class. You will pay less for Voyager class. And the kids are the ideal age for it.

We took our 3 and 5 year old on a Holland America cruise with their grandparents, and we all had a great time. It's a premium line without the spring break atmosphere, and it was a LOT cheaper than Disney. Try and go on a non spring break time--the week we went, there were 25 kids under 13. The next week they were expecting 200. Spring break weeks, they've had over 400.

We took our 3 and 5 year old on a Holland America cruise with their grandparents' date=' and we all had a great time. It's a premium line without the spring break atmosphere, and it was a LOT cheaper than Disney. Try and go on a non spring break time--the week we went, there were 25 kids under 13. The next week they were expecting 200. Spring break weeks, they've had over 400.[/quote']though it is at the top of the mass marketed lines, the week before last there were over 400 kids on the Noordam and read the reviews. Apparently it was a total dissaster. that being said, all the mass marketed lines will work as someone has said. Yes, Disney is much more expensive plus some of the older kids have come back, not terribly impressed. I would check out Carnival, RCI and NCL to be honest. NMnita

My son is 8 and he has cruised with us since he was 4. We Have taken him on both RCL and Carnival.

We enjoyed both of them and so did our son. Lots of kids activities and they are placed in age appropriate programs. Another great thing is that they also have after hours group babysitting that's pretty reasonable.

On one cruise our son built a volcano and on the last full day of the cruise they exploded them!!!

We did a scavenger hunt on the last crusie (CCL) and we won a golden ship on a stick!

I've heard wonderful reviews about Disney for the under 13 and younger.

Have a wonderful time.

Our daughter loved our first cruise on Carnival (she was 4). We're going on Carnival again in June 2007 (she's now 6). We were trying to decide whether to stay a week in one resort (with a kids program) somewhere in the Caribbean or take another cruise. I asked her, and without hesitation, she said she wanted a cruise. She is especially excited about sleeping in the "high bed" (cabin with one upper) like last time.

Here I go again, Cunard's kids progamme is great! British trained staff and loads of different activities and everything from painting to computer games, plus free after hours care from 7-midnight.

I have only cruised on Disney and Carnival and although Disney is amazing for kids if you aren't a disney freak it could be a bit much.

The 1 thing I would look for is that is has a dedicated teen club. Not just a place they can hang out until the adults take over but a real teen lounge.

Kim

Archived