Driving through Mountains

LrdNorman

My wife and I are planning our trip and we are driving from Alaska to the Wrangell-St. Elias National Preserve in Glenallen on our way to Fairbanks.

Do we drive through mountains on this route (Glenn Highway and Richardson Highway)? If so, are they steep and very curvy mountains?

We remember driving along the California coast and were nervous about driving along some of those curves.

Any help would be appreciated! I've gleaned so much information from everyone on this board...

Thank you!

Kevin

My wife and I are planning our trip and we are driving from Alaska to the Wrangell-St. Elias National Preserve in Glenallen on our way to Fairbanks.

Do we drive through mountains on this route (Glenn Highway and Richardson Highway)? If so, are they steep and very curvy mountains?

We remember driving along the California coast and were nervous about driving along some of those curves.

Any help would be appreciated! I've gleaned so much information from everyone on this board...

Thank you!

Kevin

Kevin,

The Glenn Highway at parts is a little curvy and a bit of a climb, but that won't start until after Sutton, and we have a habit of not making you drive straight up but curve you into the climb. I do have to say that the AK Dept. of Transportation has been working on the Glenn to smooth out some of those curves.

You'll have no problems on the Richardson.

I don't think you'll have any problem with the road except maybe trying to drive and look at the scenery at the same time :eek: :D

Susan in Anchorage :)

Great Drive across the top of the world highway.

Many side trips up mountains to see old gold mines. Lots of fun. Main roads are paved, many back roads up mountains are not but most in good shape.

We met a couple from the U.S. that had a corps of engineers map. He gave it to us and it had many back roads on it that are not on a regular road map.

This map would be worth ordering. Book your car early. Some periods cars are hard to rent.

You will have a great time and enjoy your trip.

My opinion as a visitor who has driven all Alaska main roads. IT'S A PIECE OF CAKE. Very easy driving with good grade and nice engineered curves. I drive 55mph, easily can look at scenery along the way, since the driving is so expansive in front of you. Mostly 2 lanes.

If you really are thinking "mountain" driving, this isn't it.

Great Drive across the top of the world highway.

Many side trips up mountains to see old gold mines. Lots of fun. Main roads are paved, many back roads up mountains are not but most in good shape.

We met a couple from the U.S. that had a corps of engineers map. He gave it to us and it had many back roads on it that are not on a regular road map.

This map would be worth ordering. Book your car early. Some periods cars are hard to rent.

You will have a great time and enjoy your trip.

The problem with this suggestion, is most car rental contracts, do not allow driving on unpaved roads. GPS is a good possibility. There may be some indpendents that have more leeway, But- having done it- I would photograph and note EVERY nick and ding in the car before leaving the lot. Damages and busted windshields aren't predictable.

You can't drive anyplace in Alaska without driving through mountains, but most of our roads are not as windy and narrow as the California coast. North of Glennallen you might have to reduce your speed for frost heaves in a few stretches. Other than that, the highways are fine.

Archived