Insurance for pre-existing conditions?

camella

We are taking a cruise to Alaska in June and are bringing my 80 year old parents. Both are diabetic and my dad's heart isn't in the best shape. We went to the Caribbean a couple of years ago and my dad's blood sugar dropped too low ( I think the doc had him on too strong meds) and we wound up with an $800 bill. They have Medicare but I know from this experience that Medicare won't pay. The cruise line's insurance will only pay if the condition is not pre-existing. Anyone know of any companies I can call to get a supplemental or travel insurance for people that have pre-existing conditions? TIA Linda

I would check out Medicare first. The reason they wouldn't pay the first time was that you were in the Caribbean. Since Alaska is part of the US, I don't think you would have the same problem. Before you buy expensive insurance, call the Medicare office.

To have coverage for pre-existing conditions, you must purchase your insurance close to your time of deposit.... usually within 10-14 days.. depending upon carrier.

Some carriers do exclude diabetics from coverage.

To have coverage for pre-existing conditions, you must purchase your insurance close to your time of deposit.... usually within 10-14 days.. depending upon carrier.

Some carriers do exclude diabetics from coverage.

Not totally true. Go to www.insuremytrip.com and select CSA Travel Protection-Freestyle Luxe. Depending on your state of residence they waive pre-existing condition exclusion if purchased within 24 hours of final payment.

Also, on Medicare, should you be taken to Canada, Medicare will not cover and you are generally not covered by Medicare on he ship. Good idea to call and get accurate information but remember, just like the income tax folks, they might give out incorrect info.

But for future reference, if you have pre-existing conditions, purchase the insurance within 10 to 14 days of booking your cruise and your premiums will be lower. You can purchase insurance that will cover pre-existing right before final payment, but your premiums will be higher than if you purchase it at the time of booking.

You have to remember, no matter where you are cruising, that while you are on the ship you are considered to be in the country of the ship's registry. As soon as you board the ship you are no longer in the US, no matter what port you may be docked in. Therefore Medicare will not cover you for any treatment while on the ship. If you seek medical care in any of the cities in Alaska, it would be covered.

The best and least expensive way to handle this is to purchase your insurance, as someone said, withing 10-14 after making your deposit. Yes, there are a few companies that will cover conditions clear up to final payment but to get this coverage you will pay and arm and leg. Talk to your travel agent about this. He/she will be able to handle the insurance. NMnita

I purchased travel insurance from Global Travel Shield through American Express. The way I read the policy, your parents would be covered. This is what the policy states:

As of the Coverage Effective Date, if the Covered Person, Traveling Companion or Family Member has had a continuous

period of Creditable Coverage of at least 63 days, We will not exclude benefits based on a pre-existing condition.

Creditable Coverage

means, with respect to an individual, coverage of the individual under any of the following:

Hope this helps,

Linda

1. A group health plan;

2. Health insurance coverage;

3. Part A or B of title XVIII of the Social Security Act;

4. Title XIX of the Social Security Act, other than coverage consisting solely of benefits under section 1928;

5. Chapter 55 of title 10, United States Code;

6. A medical care program of the Indian Health Service or of a tribal organization;

7. A state health benefits risk pool;

8. A health plan offered under chapter 89 of title 5, United States Code;

9. A public health plan (as defined in regulations);

10. A health benefit plan under section 5(e) of the Peace Corps Act (22 U.S.C. 2504(e)).

Yes, there are a few companies that will cover conditions clear up to final payment but to get this coverage you will pay and arm and leg.

Not always. For our upcoming Pacific Northwest cruise I initally included the cruiseline's insurance but really needed pre-existing coverage so when I made final payment, I dropped the cruise line's insurance and purchased CSA's Travel-Luxe plan within the 24 hours of final payment. It was only $1 per person more than the cruise line's insurance premium.

Hi:

Check Medicare's web site for Medigap insurance, several insurance companies cover medical benefits outside the US. I know AARP medigap plan "F" cover ourside US. However these are more of a long term coverage but it could be worth checking into. My mom is 88 and she has it and between the 2 (medicare and AARP she has no medical cost to her, except the insurance payments).

Archived