Question about butlers

jerseygirl3

We've never had a butler before, but we'll be in Sky Suites (5 of them booked, as this is a sort of family reunion cruise) for the April 2 sailing of Century. My brother had a ski accident a few weeks ago, broke his leg, and had to have surgery. He will be non-weightbearing for 8 weeks. consequently, getting around the ship will be a little difficult for him as he'll still be on crutches. We're trying to make things as easy as possible for him. Do you think the butler would be willing to serve his family breakfast on their balcony so he could avoid having to go down to the buffet or dining room? Or should they just fill out the room service card and order for himself and his family and have regular room service deliver? We don't want to make things hard on a butler, but since we've never had one before, we aren't sure if this would be considered in his duties?

Hi Joann

We have a butler this time around also for the first time. I understand they'll serve him breakfast, make an dinner plans they might like, bring him whatever he'd like and do it very willingly. I won't know what to do with a butler but I'll give it a try.

Hope you have a wonderful trip. I'm back from Galaxy on 3/27 and I'll post right away and let your know how we made out. We may not want to go back to any other cabin after this one.

Pat C

We've never had a butler before, but we'll be in Sky Suites (5 of them booked, as this is a sort of family reunion cruise) for the April 2 sailing of Century. My brother had a ski accident a few weeks ago, broke his leg, and had to have surgery. He will be non-weightbearing for 8 weeks. consequently, getting around the ship will be a little difficult for him as he'll still be on crutches. We're trying to make things as easy as possible for him. Do you think the butler would be willing to serve his family breakfast on their balcony so he could avoid having to go down to the buffet or dining room? Or should they just fill out the room service card and order for himself and his family and have regular room service deliver? We don't want to make things hard on a butler, but since we've never had one before, we aren't sure if this would be considered in his duties?

The butler can assist your brother in unpacking and packing. I asked after recouperating from an operation. It really helped to have the assistance.:)

I always have breakfast on the balcony or in the room; that is the one thing we always ask the butler to do. I am sure if your brother is still hobbling around, your butler will take him "under his wing" and look after him in so many ways.

Enjoy!!

...Or should they just fill out the room service card and order for himself and his family and have regular room service deliver?

Filling out a room service card the night before is how one would normally order breakfast in a sky suite.

Breakfast (and any other meal ordered to your suite) will always be delivered by your butler, not a room service attendant (unless he's on his meal break).

Filling out a room service card the night before is how one would normally order breakfast in a sky suite.

Breakfast (and any other meal ordered to your suite) will always be delivered by your butler, not a room service attendant (unless he's on his meal break).

But you can write in anything you want on the room service card that is served in the main dining room. Also, you can specify how you want your eggs cooked (over easy, sunny side up...). Definitely do this if you order poached eggs and don't like golf balls ;).

Another Suite treat is afternoon tea. Cookies and little sandwiches and either hot or cold tea. If your butler knows your brother's circumstances and preferences he'll bring what he wants into the suite for him. We actually found that the butler would leave the cookies and sandwiches when we were on shore excursions once he had us figured out. They made a great little snack upon getting back.

Always ask. The butlers are great and no is usually not in their vocabularies.

Hi,

Jerseygirl, your brother's worries about his cruise enjoyment should be over!

If your Sky Suite butler is anything like what we've had, the butler will make it his personal mission to see to it that your brother is well taken care of.

His butler will meet him on embarkation afternoon, very soon after you arrive in your staterooms. At that moment the butler will "size up the situation," and probably make immediate offerings of help, ranging from unpacking assistance to whatever else it may seem someone on crutches will need.

At that time feel free to ask any questions of the butler and make requests. For instance, if the veranda is large enough to accomodate a lounge chair and that would be more comfortable for brother to sit in, ask for one can be procured. If extra pillows will help comfort his leg, don't hesitate to ask for those.

If you are not bringing your own wheelchair to help brother get around the ship quickly, the butler might be able to procure a chair from the ship? Limited availability, though.

Dining en suite is something they excell in, as well. As others have pointed out, discuss this with the butler right away and they'll help you decide what will be easiest for brother to do.

In short, the butler is there to assist with a higher level of personal comfort than the room stewards have the time to give. Special needs and unique arrangements are their specialty. Don't be afraid to ask.

Above all, we wish for your entire family a wonderful, pleasant, refreshing cruise experience!

CM

Archived