Fox 5 NYC - Dawn Bedbug Story is Coming Up

shoreguy

Thanks for the link. This is an example of poor and frankly lazy reporting. There is no mention that this has become an increasing problem both at cruise ships and hotels. It just like reporting about Novo virus and not saying that it is a problem at colleges and hotels too. There is no mention of any other cruise line or hotel. They did say that they don't spread disease. Yes they found three people who had bed bugs, but they could just as soon by sand flies. Also they clearly are healing without any permanent effects. Clearly not a balanced report. The new version of yellow journalism....the next up report theft from airline luggage...

Did I read this story right? He said he was in a mini with a buttler and a dvd player?

I'll take one of those mini suites, without the extra roommates though.

Sure didn't seem like he did his homework if he thought he was getting a butler and DVD player in the mini.

Are you all packed?

Jackie

We can add Bed Bugs to the list of problems to the Dawn. We are booked to go on the Dawn in August and I am disgusted- scratching as i write this. Our New York news last night said that a few families were bitten by those blood sucking bed mates. EWWW. What can we do?? How can we be assured that this won't happened to us??:confused:

The subject of bed bugs and cruise ships come up about every 4 or 5 months. I have cruise 20 plus times and stayed in how many hotels I couldn't even begin to count all over the world: I have yet to be bitten by a bed bug. I have been truely lucky I guess. The worst part about all this is, this is an old story, from about 4 or 5 months ago and probably more sensationalism than anything else. The best hotels and cleanest ships may have them as well as the dirtiest. I wouldn't let the story bother you too much, but then again, what do you mean about problem; are you looking for trouble, if so, why not find another ship? NMNita

I think you should consider cancelling your cruise. If you are keeping a list of problems to look for, I don't think there is a chance of having a good cruise.

I am not KEEPING A list of problems. Just saying that there is another one that the Dawn has. I will not cancel my cruise for anything. My family will have a good time regardless. But come on, you wouldnt feel grossed out knowing that there is a possibility that those blood sucking bugs will be eating you and your children while you sleep.

But come on, you wouldnt feel grossed out knowing that there is a possibility that those blood sucking bugs will be eating you and your children while you sleep.

I wasn't trying to be mean. I was on the Dawn after the last bunch of stories circulated about bed bugs on the ships. Someone had posted that they found them behind pictures - I guess anywhere that it is dark. I remember laying in bed wondering if there could be some there, but absolutely not having the nerve to check.

Sorry if I misinterpreted your posting. I just thought you sounded negative about the Dawn. I have been on it three times and love it.

The chances of having "creatures" in your room on the ship are the same as if you were staying at the Holiday Inn, Marriott, Best Western or any other over night business. I have stayed in hotels all over the world - from top 5 star places to ones you wouldnt recommend to your worst enemy. Knowing NCL's reputation for cleaning, if there is a problem, it is taken care of very promptly.

Dont worry about small things, you are on a cruise, heading for sunshine and the beach. Enjoy, eat, drink, soak up the sun, buy some treasures, eat some more.

Will a can of Lysol help? You can spray down everything?

No and windex does not help either(My Fat Greek Wedding). It might drown them if you sprayed enough on them but it won't kill them. they don't breathe that way.

This is already being discussed here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=517107&page=2

Bed bugs are nothing new. They show up in the finest hotels. The bug infestation is caused by the people staying there, not by the hotel or cruise ship. Once infested, they're extremely difficult to get rid of. No pesticide works 100 percent of the time.

Some basic things you need to know:

1. The level of cleanliness has nothing to do with creating an infestation

Bed bugs hide in the crevices of your luggage or on your clothing. They're brought on board by passengers. NEVER put your luggage on your bed!

2. Bed bugs don't just live in beds. You can find them in furniture and behind picture frames.

3. You can spot bedbugs at night when they come out to feed. Also look for the tell-tale signs of black or brown fecal residue from the bugs.

4. They are not known to cause disease. Yes, they can cause some ugly and annoying bites, but you won't die from them.

5. Insect repellents won't work against bed bugs. Lysol will not work either unless you spray them directly.

6. When you get in your cabin, pull the sheets back and inspect the bed. Also look on the furniture, behind pictures and in the closet. If you spot any of the signs, notify the desk.

I think you should consider cancelling your cruise. If you are keeping a list of problems to look for, I don't think there is a chance of having a good cruise.

If you've ever been bitten by bed bugs, you wouldn't be so smug:rolleyes:

I am not KEEPING A list of problems. Just saying that there is another one that the Dawn has. I will not cancel my cruise for anything. My family will have a good time regardless. But come on, you wouldnt feel grossed out knowing that there is a possibility that those blood sucking bugs will be eating you and your children while you sleep.
And apparently you are not reading everything that is being written. Beg bugs can be anywhere. Not to mention the sand fleas in Roatan, which I understand was one of the ports are awful, especially in Nov and Dec. If you cruise there and don't apply a bug repellent prior to leaving the ship you will come back covered with bites. They may show up immediately or may show up in a few hours or the next day. Beleive me, DH and another friend got eaten alive with them. Worst thing, you can't them em. Chances are you will have no problems, but no one can guarantee you there won't be any little critters among the cruisers. NMnita

The chances of having "creatures" in your room on the ship are the same as if you were staying at the Holiday Inn, Marriott, Best Western or any other over night business.

Maybe, but I for one would be avoiding them if it came out. Ignorance is bliss.

Right now, I'm also avoiding Taco Bell and Pizza Hut. It will take a long time to get those rats out of my head.

Maybe that's what the Dove ads are for. :rolleyes:

The worst part about all this is, this is an old story, from about 4 or 5 months ago and probably more sensationalism than anything else. NMNita

The bed bug problem is real but it is, as Nita suggests, being sensationalized whenever possible. My daughter is in the hotel business in a major city and with a major hotel chain and the bed bugs are, indeed, out there, though they are not lurking around every corner ready to jump you..

Bed bugs do not generally result from poor housekeeping on the hotel's part -- or the cruise ship's. They are brought on board by customers. They can, with much work, be eliminated by the housekeeping staff, but it is very difficult for the busy staff to catch the fact that the little buggers have come on board.

You can protect yourself to some degree by checking behind headboards and by pulling back the bed clothes to look closely at the mattress seams. The little guys love to hide there. Bring along a bright, small (maybe LED) flashlight. If you find visitors, you must notify housekeeping and then be persistent about cleaning. A full ship might inhibit your probable demands for a new cabin. (You might mention that your brother-in-law, Rupert, works for FOX.)

If you don't find the buggies, RELAX, and enjoy your cruise!

And apparently you are not reading everything that is being written. Beg bugs can be anywhere. Not to mention the sand fleas in Roatan, which I understand was one of the ports are awful, especially in Nov and Dec. If you cruise there and don't apply a bug repellent prior to leaving the ship you will come back covered with bites. They may show up immediately or may show up in a few hours or the next day. Beleive me, DH and another friend got eaten alive with them. Worst thing, you can't them em. Chances are you will have no problems, but no one can guarantee you there won't be any little critters among the cruisers. NMnita

I know that they could be anywhere & I dont care about the sand fleas. All I did was post that I heard the story on the news. That story hit close to home since we will be on that same ship. For the money that these cruise ships make (and some hotels) the least they could do is make she they are free of those kind of bugs. I cant stand the fact that there could be bugs in my cabin, in my bed at home, in a hotel room or anywhere else to that matter.

We sailed on the Spirit shortly after someone started the last thread on this board about bed bugs on NCL. Whether or not it was a bogus thread isn't relevant right now. But it was one of the first things I checked for after boarding. Nothing. And we never heard a single complaint while onboard.

However, I did notice that they were swapping-out beds from several different cabins nearly every day. Our room attendant just said they were rotating all beds. I don't know if there's a connection.

I know that they could be anywhere & I dont care about the sand fleas. All I did was post that I heard the story on the news. That story hit close to home since we will be on that same ship. For the money that these cruise ships make (and some hotels) the least they could do is make she they are free of those kind of bugs. I cant stand the fact that there could be bugs in my cabin, in my bed at home, in a hotel room or anywhere else to that matter.
i don't think anyone is trying to minamize the problem or blow it off. I don't like creepy crawlers either, what is being pointed out is they are everywhere and they are normally brought in by means other than dirt. I'm sure hotels and cruise ships do everything in their power to control the little creatures but they do exist. BTW, I would be much more concerned about the sand fleas when I saw my hubbys legs. NMnita

I'm booked to be on the Dawn May 26th. The bed bugs in my room will be mighty disappointed, because I won't be in my room long enough for them to bite me! :D :D Gotta have a positive attitude on your cruise. If you life your life full of "what if's.." you won't have much of one. :D

Archived