Fox 5 NYC - Dawn Bedbug Story is Coming Up

shoreguy

Every few months, we get a cruise bedbug story. I was on the Spirit in October when bedbugs were reported there. I never saw any or heard of any from other passengers. I have sailed the Dawn 4 times and never saw or heard of bedbugs on board.

The important thing to remember is people bring bedbugs on to ships and into hotel rooms. They are hardly native to that environment. I have a friend who is an exterminator and he told me he kept getting called back to the same house for bedbugs. He couldn't understand where they were coming from and why they returned after he treated the area. He asked to check their car. It seems the car was infested with bedbugs because the husband had been having an affair and kept bringing them home from a local motel.

This is hardly something to cancel a cruise over.

1)To the man from Cape Cod who "Claims to be an experienced cruiser" and yet did not even research if his ship would be tendering, and if he got a DVD player (sheesh, next time go to Wal Mart and buy a $50 DVD) or a Butler (because he THOUGHT having a mini suite entitled him to on......

I think he does have some issues on receiving proper information, but it also shows that he did not READ his info he received. My real question is does he feel that customer service is really bad...or bad because they did not give him the answers he wanted....probably the latter.

2) We also deal with a real story of bed bugs. Come on folks, don't jump on the family for calling the TV station. I don't even completely blame the TV (yes, obviously a tabloid TV station) for running that story. It is there job to find stories...and then turn them from little stories to big ones.

NCL's job is to tell the TV station what they did to assist the family with a real situation (BTW...I do notice they never mentioned asking for help from NCL.) What they (NCL) are doing if and when Bed Bugs show up again.

Discuss what the policy is for NCL to do when legit claims come up...(change out bedding, spray??) and what they do to protect future passengers in the same room.

3) My big concern is that in both stories it appears that people requested help from NCL...and did not receive it.

That bothers me as a cruiser more then the Bedbugs.

I still think they were sand flea bites from GSC. That is what the people on the story thought until the Dr said bed bugs. I wonder how many bed bug bites he has seen.

If The Dawn was infested with begbugs we would get reports every week from passengers. The fact Fox could only find 2 sets of passengers from the last 6 months that are making the claim says alot.

None of them claimed to have seen a single bedbug or the droppings unlike the RCI story when the found the bugs nested behind the head board.

thanks Shoreguy, I think you are about on target on this one. NMNita

Last week my wife and I saw a news report that aired on a New york News station, Fox 5 News at 10. They interviewed people that had just returned from a cruise on the Norwegian Dawn. They were treated by a doctor for Bed Bug bites all over their bodies. They also said there were other people who complained of the same problem. We are cruising on the Dawn on 4/23/07 and are concerned about this. Has anyone else heard about this?
Dont' believe everything you hear or read and don't worry!!!!

These people from Cape Cod didn't wait 5 months after the bed bug incident to tell anyone. Someone saw that man's blog and the news contacted THEM. And what does it matter that he's a politician? If any of this happened to me, I'd be pissed off too. They were promised certain things when they booked the cruise, and not only did they not get them, they got bed bugs too! You guys are seriously missing the point here.

And so are you@!!!!!!!

I don't think you can tell the difference between sand flies and bed bugs bites. I think you need the criter evidence to tell for sure. BTW they did look like sand flies bites to me...and according to the reading I just did they both suck blood exactly the same....you need the bugs to see!!!!

From MSNBC:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11916682/

With DDT banned in the United States, it going to be difficult to get rid of bed bugs as we have done before.

Hotels are throwing away good furniture and month old mattresses and sheets to contain the problem.

there are many alternatives.

there are several very effective bed bug treatment chemicals that are approved for household use. 2 of the best are: cyfluthrin and deltamethrin.

for commerical use there are many very effective products. among them are delta dust and drione dust ( perfect for cracks and crevices), and STERIFAB - which is a "super" mixture of viricide, bactericide, fungicide, insecticide, germicide, and 5 or 6 other ingredients.

also very popular end effective for both household and commercial are waterproof polystretch zippered mattress covers, originally made to protect from dust mites. these are super effective on mattresses, but need to stay on for at least a year, since bed bugs can live a long time without food. additionally, a bed frame needs to be vaccumed thoroughly to prevent from bugs climbing on top of the cover. ( of course that should be a given).

there are many alternatives.

there are several very effective bed bug treatment chemicals that are approved for household use. 2 of the best are: cyfluthrin and deltamethrin.

for commerical use there are many very effective products. among them are delta dust and drione dust ( perfect for cracks and crevices), and STERIFAB - which is a "super" mixture of viricide, bactericide, fungicide, insecticide, germicide, and 5 or 6 other ingredients.

also very popular end effective for both household and commercial are waterproof polystretch zippered mattress covers, originally made to protect from dust mites. these are super effective on mattresses, but need to stay on for at least a year, since bed bugs can live a long time without food. additionally, a bed frame needs to be vaccumed thoroughly to prevent from bugs climbing on top of the cover. ( of course that should be a given).

The problem is that dust mite covers will trap those bugs that are inside the mattress, but will do nothing to keep those living in sofas, chairs, behind pictures, etc. from coming in to feast on you at night.

Those chemicals are recommended, however, are not for use on mattresses. So, once infested, it's very difficult to get rid of them short of throwing out the mattresses and entirely fumigating the room.

I still think they were sand flea bites from GSC. That is what the people on the story thought until the Dr said bed bugs. I wonder how many bed bug bites he has seen.

If The Dawn was infested with begbugs we would get reports every week from passengers. The fact Fox could only find 2 sets of passengers from the last 6 months that are making the claim says alot.

None of them claimed to have seen a single bedbug or the droppings unlike the RCI story when the found the bugs nested behind the head board.

Good point, Shoreguy! A lot of doctors can't tell a Lyme Disease tick bite from that of another insect so it wouldn't surprise me to read that some can't tell a sand flea bite from a bedbug bite.

When I went on the Norway in 1999, I came home covered with sand flea bites from GSC. I treated them with Benadryl and went on with my life. :p

The story cracked me up. They used the term "luxury" cruise line several times, and while the Dawn is very nice, I would by no means call it a "luxury" cruise. The area of concern by me was the lack of response by NCL, although with trash journalism like this who knows how the would have twisted it. But I suppose if it happened to me I would be a little ticked too. We were on the Dawn in January and I was totally covered in what I think were sand flea bites from Belize, but they didn't really itch and in a day they were gone. Too bad, maybe I could have gotten a free cruise out of it. :D And who know where these bedbugs came from. Maybe this family brought them aboard. NCL should sue them!

The problem is that dust mite covers will trap those bugs that are inside the mattress, but will do nothing to keep those living in sofas, chairs, behind pictures, etc. from coming in to feast on you at night.

Those chemicals are recommended, however, are not for use on mattresses. So, once infested, it's very difficult to get rid of them short of throwing out the mattresses and entirely fumigating the room.

If you read my post carefully, you will note that i didnt claim that such cover will get rid of the bugs. cover is part of the "fight" against them. for everything else you mentioned you use chemicals, in this case dust to treat behind boards, pictures, etc, and spray for sofas, chairs, etc. I am almost 100% certain that you did not use any of the chemicals i mentioned, otherwise you would not make a statement " not for use on mattresses". this is merely your opinion, not a fact. One of the best uses of chemicals such as sterifab is for mattresses. its non toxic to humans, almost 100% odorless and stainless. with proper chemicals, it is actually fairly easy to get rid of bed bugs. Its a matter of ship/hotel management to allow a cabin/room to remain unoccupied for a 4-5 day period for full treatment, and in todays world where hotels and ships are being oversold to make every bit of revenue they can, it is unfortunate that some management heads make incorrect decisions regarding infested or potentially infested rooms.

If you read my post carefully, you will note that i didnt claim that such cover will get rid of the bugs. cover is part of the "fight" against them. for everything else you mentioned you use chemicals, in this case dust to treat behind boards, pictures, etc, and spray for sofas, chairs, etc. I am almost 100% certain that you did not use any of the chemicals i mentioned, otherwise you would not make a statement " not for use on mattresses". this is merely your opinion, not a fact. One of the best uses of chemicals such as sterifab is for mattresses.

its non toxic to humans, almost 100% odorless and stainless. with proper chemicals, it is actually fairly easy to get rid of bed bugs. Its a matter of ship/hotel management to allow a cabin/room to remain unoccupied for a 4-5 day period for full treatment, and in todays world where hotels and ships are being oversold to make every bit of revenue they can, it is unfortunate that some management heads make incorrect decisions regarding infested or potentially infested rooms.

Why must everything turn into an argument? You are "assuming" it is my opinion, it is not. It can be found here:

If you decide to treat yourself, apply a household insecticide that is labeled for bed bug control. Insecticides registered for homeowner use for bed bug control in the home include cyfluthrin, deltamethrin, diatomaceous earth, silica gel or permethrin. Apply to hiding places around baseboards, moldings and floorboards. Caution: DO NOT USE ANY INSECTICIDE ON A MATTRESS - unless the label specifically discusses application to a mattress. Most household sprays are not suitable for application to mattresses. Some people would rather discard the mattress, which is fine, but you may also consider putting a dust mite cover on it as described in mechanical control above.

http://www.entomology.cornell.edu/Extension/DiagnosticLab/IDLFS/BedBugs/BedBugs.html

Why must everything turn into an argument? You are "assuming" it is my opinion, it is not. It can be found here:

If you decide to treat yourself, apply a household insecticide that is labeled for bed bug control. Insecticides registered for homeowner use for bed bug control in the home include cyfluthrin, deltamethrin, diatomaceous earth, silica gel or permethrin. Apply to hiding places around baseboards, moldings and floorboards. Caution: DO NOT USE ANY INSECTICIDE ON A MATTRESS - unless the label specifically discusses application to a mattress. Most household sprays are not suitable for application to mattresses. Some people would rather discard the mattress, which is fine, but you may also consider putting a dust mite cover on it as described in mechanical control above.

http://www.entomology.cornell.edu/Extension/DiagnosticLab/IDLFS/BedBugs/BedBugs.html

OK, sorry there. you are not assuming, you are confused. Read the text that you pasted. It clearly says: Most household sprays are not suitable for application to mattresses ( unless label specifically discusses). if you read my post, i said STERIFAB, which is not a household spray, but a commercial spray, and it is perfect for mattresses.

OK, sorry there. you are not assuming, you are confused. Read the text that you pasted. It clearly says: Most household sprays are not suitable for application to mattresses ( unless label specifically discusses). if you read my post, i said STERIFAB, which is not a household spray, but a commercial spray, and it is perfect for mattresses.

You have made great points....some of us choose to "ignore" certain posters;)

Don't even bother to explain:)

I think you may be confused. :) You did not specify in your first post that those chemicals were not suitable for mattresses. I was clarifying it.

i see you're an expert on every subject, and people would wait forever just to get your clarifications, fictitious statements, and assumptions passed as facts. Lets just drop this, you arent'g going anywhere with your googled knowledge.

i see you're an expert on every subject, and people would wait forever just to get your clarifications, fictitious statements, and assumptions passed as facts. Lets just drop this, you arent'g going anywhere with your googled knowledge.

I want some "googled knowledge" too!:eek:

Also as "part" of the solution a steam machine is good for killing bedbugs in the bed frame and inside the box springs...

[/font]

The bed bug problem is real but it is, as Nita suggests, being sensationalized whenever possible. My daughter is in the hotel business in a major city and with a major hotel chain and the bed bugs are, indeed, out there, though they are not lurking around every corner ready to jump you..

Bed bugs do not generally result from poor housekeeping on the hotel's part -- or the cruise ship's. They are brought on board by customers. They can, with much work, be eliminated by the housekeeping staff, but it is very difficult for the busy staff to catch the fact that the little buggers have come on board.

You can protect yourself to some degree by checking behind headboards and by pulling back the bed clothes to look closely at the mattress seams. The little guys love to hide there. Bring along a bright, small (maybe LED) flashlight. If you find visitors, you must notify housekeeping and then be persistent about cleaning. A full ship might inhibit your probable demands for a new cabin. (You might mention that your brother-in-law, Rupert, works for FOX.)

If you don't find the buggies, RELAX, and enjoy your cruise!

\

Driker2 is your avatar a Welsh Terrier or an Airedale?

jc<---- proud owner of two Welsh Terriers:D

I want some "googled knowledge" too!:eek:

Also as "part" of the solution a steam machine is good for killing bedbugs in the bed frame and inside the box springs...

Surfgirl: can you please clarify, or rather inform us: any drawbacks/problems with using a steam machine as part of the solution?

Actually, I am a bit of an expert... well, sort of.. LOL. I'm a journalist, and we have to know a bit about everything. What we don't know, we research. And yes, Google is a wonderful tool IF you quote reliable sources (as I did). Now DO tell me what ficticious statements and "assumptions passed as facts" you are alleging?

And coincidently, I did a bed bug story about a year ago. I'd be happy to send you the script if you give me your e-mail address.

Have a good night, and don't let the bed bugs bite! :D

Archived