? about "covered" balconies on CROWN

Familycruzer11

Hi everyone,

From reading other threads it seems my balcony on the Baja deck on Crown will be covered. (mid ship, odd numbered)

Does this mean some sun? No sun? Covered sounds good (private), but not looking for shade the whole time either.....

Thanks!

Everything above Deck 10 is covered. If you want the best of both worlds, go for a Caribe Deck Balcony since they're 1/2 covered 1/2 uncovered and much larger balconies to boot. Dolphin Deck is totally uncovered if you're looking for sun sun and more sun.

Thanks for the info - we are already booked and leaving soon (2 weeks). Wish I had found this site last June when we booked it - then I would have known better! (oh well, next time..)

Just wondering if COVERED means that we get absolutely no sun (if the sun is low in the sky, will we get any)?

The 'cover' is the Aloha deck balcony above you, its a foot or so above the divider. You usually get a fair amount of sun, depending on the direction the ship is pointed. Here is a picture, (click to enlarge) Baja is the third level from the bottom of visible balconies. You can see the shadows and sun access.

2285618800051360669EgdpKP_th.jpg

Thanks for the info - we are already booked and leaving soon (2 weeks). Wish I had found this site last June when we booked it - then I would have known better! (oh well, next time..)

Just wondering if COVERED means that we get absolutely no sun (if the sun is low in the sky, will we get any)?

We, too, will be on the Baja deck, B335, in October. Waiting anxiously for a reply to your post. BTW, you will let us know all about your cruise, right? :D

This is so helpful :) - thank you - looks like I will be needing that sunscreen afterall...:cool:

I have gotten SO MUCH out of this board - I am looking forward to giving back after my return to the real world (which I don't even want to think about... )

We were on the Crown Aloha deck, (directly above Baja) for two weeks last month and believe me, you will be glad for the shade once in a while! If you have been reading posts regarding the staterooms being rather warm on the Crown, believe it! Having the sun beating directly on that glass all day would only make it warmer!

Besides, we would go out there, sit and look at the ocean at night before bed...saw lots of folks on lower decks sitting on their uncovered balconies in their PJ's! ;)

I, for one, wouldn't trade a little privacy for full sun all day...you get LOTS out there even with the "cover"!

Sue

It actually sounds just right for us - I feel so much better. Thanks again for all the great feedback... which reminds me..

I've heard various things about balcony rooms being noisy at night because of the balcony doors rattling- is that true? I am a light sleeper...

We were on the Crown Aloha deck, (directly above Baja) for two weeks last month and believe me, you will be glad for the shade once in a while! If you have been reading posts regarding the staterooms being rather warm on the Crown, believe it! Having the sun beating directly on that glass all day would only make it warmer!

Besides, we would go out there, sit and look at the ocean at night before bed...saw lots of folks on lower decks sitting on their uncovered balconies in their PJ's! ;)

I, for one, wouldn't trade a little privacy for full sun all day...you get LOTS out there even with the "cover"!

Sue

Glad to hear - we are also on Baja and was wondering the same thing - we were on the Dolphin deck last year and it really is kinda uncomfortable that the people above you can look down on you and you have a suite! I didn't know about this site until recently and it sounds like the best of both worlds would be the Caribe balcony - but we are glad to have a balcony, so I'm not complaining.

Just a few days left............

It actually sounds just right for us - I feel so much better. Thanks again for all the great feedback... which reminds me..

I've heard various things about balcony rooms being noisy at night because of the balcony doors rattling- is that true? I am a light sleeper...

Nahh, We didn't find it very loud at all on SapphireP. (Half sister)

As for people with warm cabins: do remember you're at sea. If you just open the balcony door, it not only freshens up your cabin, the cooler sea air is nice, and, the sounds of the passing ocean is simply beautiful.;)

Archived