Hotel suggestion for South Hampton, England

Which hotel did they suggest???? Give me your dates please and I will have a search for you on prices. They will be in ££s but you can do the conversion! $700??? for how many nights.....?

Can I have dates etc and the hotel they have quoted....will try to help as best I can.

Alternatively check out http://www.laterooms.com and do your own conversion. Make sure you write the location as one word "Southampton".

The best hotel in the area is the De Vere Grand harbour - a room for the night of 4 November can currently be had for £109 ($200) incl breakfast for two adults (on De Veres website).

The Novotel is a comfortable, basic hotel but for a really nice start to your vacation the Grand Harbour is the way to go.

Southampton has many hotels but the two nearest the RCI berth 101 dock gate 8, are Hoiliday Inn (this is situated by the dock gate) and the De Vere Grand harbour unless you are booking late then thier respective web sites usually give the best rates. The Novotel is OK clean etc. but is nearer to the P&O berth 106 and dock gate 10. My personal chioce is the De Vere Grand harbour. If check in out times are important, they do vary between hotels De vere check in is at 3pm, then check the differant hotels, for intance the IBIS hotel next door to Novotel has check in and out at 12 noon but its a basic version of the Novotel.

John

We are hesitant to book a RCI cruise out of Harwich for exactly the reasons stated - exhorbant airfare and hotel prices quoted by Royal Caribbean. If we fly in 3 days prior to the cruise, do you have any suggestions for a London hotel. What about taking the train to Harwich?

It's all very confusing.

If we fly in 3 days prior to the cruise. What about taking the train to Harwich?

It's all very confusing.

London to Harwich

From London Liverpool Street train station take the "Cruise Train" from Liverpool Street to Harwich International station. On your day of sailing, there should be (at least) one train going direct to Harwich International station. Current timetables show a daily train leaving Liverpool Street every hour, journey time 1hr.30min. Good websites to look at for travelling to Harwich are http://www.harwich.co.uk/cruise_trains.asp www.harwich-intl-port.co.uk/hip/ and http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/ . Harwich train station is next to the cruise terminal.

I am probably going to take the bus down Monday to Southampton from London, and spend the weekend taking in a show on the west end and shopping at Harrods. No doubt RCI is wanting to much for the hotel. Book your own.

jc:D

Dearest ACTUAL UK residents:

Anyone actually live IN or NEAR Southampton?

I'm going to visit my daughter there next month. She's at the University.

Where should I stay? Two nights, convenient to the northern end of the campus, NOT the docks.

Many thanks in advance.

Dearest ACTUAL UK residents:

Anyone actually live IN or NEAR Southampton?

I'm going to visit my daughter there next month. She's at the University.

Where should I stay? Two nights, convenient to the northern end of the campus, NOT the docks.

Many thanks in advance.

This may help...

http://www.google.co.uk/maps?num=50&hl=en&safe=off&rls=GGGL,GGGL:2006-10,GGGL:en&q=southampton+hotel&near=Southampton+SO17+1BJ&sa=X&oi=local&ct=image

SO17 1BJ is the postcode for the main campus the map shows nearest hotels

My mother has stayed in both the Novotel and the Ibis next door prior to her cruises - both of which are right by the ports - both were pretty basic IMO. The only benefits is they are right by a 'TGI Fridays' and a good shopping centre with a large department store and several smaller shops. Have you checked out TripAdvisor - make sure you spell it 'Southampton'

I have been researching this for our November Cruise. I thought the Holiday Inn at first , but then I read some not so good reviews. I think we have decided on

the Jurys Inn. It is 2 years old and conveniently located(I think) It is near the bus /train station which is also important for us. We are going in 2 days early.

The best price is at the Jurys Inn web site 49 pounds night for our stay if you book at least 30 days ahead and pay in full.

Having been born in England and been back a number of times over the years staying in what turned out to be small overpriced rooms and substandard properties, I hope that this time I have picked a winner.

http://www.jurys-southampton-hotels.com/jurysinn_southampton

for one way air try

1800flyeurope.com

( they also do return)

Just booked BA FLight Bos to London on Nov 3rd for a total of 323 p/p one way

The BA website shows same flight number 890 p/p one way.

I have been using this company since our 2002 TA crossing from Harwich.

They don't reveal the carrier, but you can figure that out quite easily by the flight times shown in the offerings. There are only so many flights a day leaving from any given city to Heathrow or Gatwick.

Just booked the Navigator for November. RCCL quoted us over $700 per night for a hotel they use!! Is that correct? Geez!

Can you suggest a hotel that RCCL's ground transportation will use? Thanks. :)

This does not sound right! I would call again and check this out - RCL do not offer hotels in Southampton but in central London - and the most expensive is £150 pn/$292.....

I have been researching this for our November Cruise. I thought the Holiday Inn at first , but then I read some not so good reviews. I think we have decided on

the Jurys Inn. It is 2 years old and conveniently located(I think) It is near the bus /train station which is also important for us. We are going in 2 days early.

The best price is at the Jurys Inn web site 49 pounds night for our stay if you book at least 30 days ahead and pay in full.

http://www.jurys-southampton-hotels.com/jurysinn_southampton

The Jurys Inn is a good choice at that price. However, not sure what you mean by close to bus/train station - the Novotel/Ibis are much closer, and the Grand Harbour or Holiday Inn are probably about the same distance away from the train station as Jurys.

I was told it was a close walk to the National Coach station.

10-15 minute walk depending on your walking speed. I assume you're not planning to do that with Luggage in tow? (unless you travel v.v.light)

Archived