1st time cruiser seeking advice

melinstar

My boyfriend and I will soon be embarking on our first cruise on the Maasdam (New England/Canada). I have been reading many reviews and message board posting on the web about this ship (and HAL in general), and am hoping that the experienced cruise-takers out there can offer some advice. Specifically, I understand the new automatic gratuity ($10 pppd) policy, but would like to know the standard etiquette for tipping beyond that policy (i.e., when/who to tip, how much?). Also, I would like suggestions for which (if any) shore excursions are worth taking. And, any general cruise advice for first-timers would be greatly appreciated. (We're 29/30 year old professionals--I only say that because your recommendations may differ depending on age.)

The tips are divvied up among your cabin steward, dining room steward, his assistant and about $3.00 pppd goes to a pool. If any of these people give you really good service you can tip them extra at the end of the cruise. How much, if any, is very individual and up to you. Also, if you order any drinks HAL will include an automatic 15% gratuity. If you get wine a tip for the wine steward would be appropriate. Room service is free, but a couple of dollars for the person bringing the food would be reasonable. Some people tip the maitre'd. But I generally don't unless he goes out of his way, perhaps by honoring a dining room change you request.

So far as excursions go, it all depends on what you like to do. In Halifax, we enjoyed the city tour. It visited the two cemeteries where victims of the Titanic are buried. We then visited the Maritime Museum on our own. Lots of interesting artifacts there, plus quite a bit on the Titanic. In Bar Harbor, I would recommend the lobster boil. Yummy! The excursion will go up to the top of the mountain where the view is spectacular (weather permitting.)

In Charlottetown, my DW school teacher especially enjoyed getting to visit the Anne of Green Gables homestead. The jelly/preserve factory store (an included stop on the tour) was great, too. We've reordered from there several times.

Hope this helps give you some ideas to think about.

You also need to tip the Stevodors/porters. $1.00/per bag normally. Tour operators as well may deserve a tip. You can use US dollars in Canada but for small perchase use Canadian if you have any. Canadian taxis will except US funds but the exchange rate may not be good.

You do not need a passport for Canada if you are an American but do carry your Driver's licence and Birth Certificate with seal.

Anne of Green Gables or Peggy's Cove are both good tours. Have fun in Canada and welcome to my land.

I agree with Orcrone as he has given good advise.;) One thing I do as soon as I meet my cabin steward, is tell him/her what I expect. You will have a feeling if your getting along and if my feelings are right, I put a twenty $ note in his /her hand as they leave the cabin. I have always and I do mean always, got excellant service.:D

Trust your cruise is also going into Montreal and Quebec City. Both are beautiful cities:) Welcome to Canada again.

I agree with Orcrone as he has given good advise.;) One thing I do as soon as I meet my cabin steward, is tell him/her what I expect. You will have a feeling if your getting along and if my feelings are right, I put a twenty $ note in his /her hand as they leave the cabin. I have always and I do mean always, got excellant service.:D

Sounds like a good idea, Can you give us a hint as to the type of service you expect? What do you say to the cabin steward?

melinstar ,

Which date are you heading on your cruise ? As my boyfriend and I are doing the Canada / New England cruise as well . Our sail date is Aug.28/04.

I'm not a first time cruiser as I've sailed Celebrity and Royal Carribean before , the tipping policy for Holland America seems to be a good one.I prefer an automatic tipping policy (where you can cancel at pursers desk) , then be handed enveloppes at an end of a cruise and having to hand them out.If someone is above and beyond , I go out of my way to let them know , and how much it was appreciated.

Enjoy your cruising!!!!!!!!

I guess I don't expect much......I sail solo and I guess I don't need anything...other than the "regular" things offered. I have never pre-tipped...and have always received great service:) .......I can't think of anything special I would have to tell my cabin attendent! Oh wait...I did ask them to take my picture before going to dinner each evening...by the stairway...;) they were always helpful with that request!

:)

It is $10 per person automatic tipping. $3 goes to your cabin steward, $3 for your dining room waitstaff, and $4 goes into a pool shared by the behind the scenes crew: laundry people, kitchen help, those tyou see polishing the brass, vacuuming floors, etc.

The 15% gratuity that is added onto your bar bills - most of it goes right to the person whose name is on your bar bill. A small is divided among the non-bar personel - pool attendants, etc.

If you choose to have the automatic tips removed from your account, any extra monies that you give to a crew personal is supposed to be turned into the office (by the crew member) and divided among all crew. Supposedly crew members are given a list of who removed the tips from their accounts.

We always tip extra to those who serve us well.

We also tip extra whenever we go to the Pinnacle Grill.

The amount that you wish to tip extra is a personel choice - it all depends on how you feel the service has been.

Bar Harbor is a tendering port. The first time we were there we did Cadillac Mountain and Acadia National Park - lovely scenery. Bar Habor has lots of small, quaint stores.

Halifax - Peggy's Cove - either with or without the lobster lunch - also the Titanic graveyard and Museum.

Charlottetown - Ann of Green Cables.

Portland - city tour was great.

Martha's Vineyard - Edgartown - great.

St John, Newfoundland - Bay of Fundy and reversing river.

Only $3 to the waiting staff? If I remember correctly on RCCL and Celebrity it's

$3.50 for waiter and $2 for assistant waiter. ($3.50 home room attendant, on Celebrity $0.50 to a person who supervises attendants, on both $0.75 to the M'D)

YUP - that was the way the breakdown was explained to us in May on the Maasdam.

That is why the crew are giving this new tipping policy a chance before they decide whether they will be returning to HAL when their contracts end.

Have talked to some of the crew and most aren't happy but some like it because in recent months under the old policy, many of them weren't getting any tips at all.

In Feb/Mar when we were on the Oosterdam, the last night when our waiter and his assistant were singing the farewell song, everyone in our waiter's area (except us) got up and left the dining room. When he returned he looked sad. The only tip he got was from us. And he had done an excellent job.

In Feb/Mar when we were on the Oosterdam, the last night when our waiter and his assistant were singing the farewell song, everyone in our waiter's area (except us) got up and left the dining room. When he returned he looked sad. The only tip he got was from us. And he had done an excellent job.

I hate that stupid "nothing overboard" rule, don't you?

Thank you everyone for your thoughtful & informative advice. Suezieq, we're going on the Aug. 7 cruise (Boston, Oak Bluffs Martha’s Vineyard, Portland, St. John, Halifax, Bar Harbor) (I'm so excited, that the past few days, I've been neglecting my work for cruise research :).

One more follow-up question about tipping: If I would like to tip beyond the automatic gratuity (which, I am assuming I will, b/c from what I have read, service on HAL ships seems to be very good), would it be best to tip the steward at the beginning, and others who will take care of us throughout the week--waiters, etc.--at the end of the cruise? Or, should I tip everyday? From your experience, what is best?

I am focusing so much on the tipping issue because the last thing I want to do is unknowingly shortchange such hardworking people.

Thank you!!

I let the cabin steward know that I like my breakfast tray to come with a tablecloth for the terrace. I expect the table to be set also.:eek:

I enjoy my champagne and take my own bottle stoppers as not to lose what I cannot finish. I like it kept in ice at all times.

I keep air freshners in cabin and want them left.

When laundry with paper work is left on bed..its to go.

I find that when they (stewards) know what you want, it is easier for all. I was the same when I was a Purser and had to look after VVIP;s.

Just got ten 100% cotton t-shirts with Canada on them to give away during the cruise.

Just remember.. COURTESY IS CONTAGIOUS:D

I let the cabin steward know that I like my breakfast tray to come with a tablecloth for the terrace. I expect the table to be set also.:eek:

I enjoy my champagne and take my own bottle stoppers as not to lose what I cannot finish. I like it kept in ice at all times.

I keep air freshners in cabin and want them left.

When laundry with paper work is left on bed..its to go.

I find that when they (stewards) know what you want, it is easier for all. I was the same when I was a Purser and had to look after VVIP;s.

Just got ten 100% cotton t-shirts with Canada on them to give away during the cruise.

Just remember.. COURTESY IS CONTAGIOUS:D

Thanks! This is useful, I think. I am booked in a plain old veranda cabin, a B class on Oct 16. Should I expect the same service? I thoroughly agree with you about clear communication and courtesy as the best ways to keep things pleasant! :o My shirt size is XXL :D

What you tip and to whom you tip is a function of what they do for you. [following the origional definition of TIP meaning 'To improve promptness' not 'To improve profits.' (this is not an invitation to hear about greedy corporations.) Just smile.]

As a member of "the early morning coffee club", I expect a carafe of coffee on at the Lido table chosen by the 'club' at 6 a.m. and that it will be kept full. As we all wear our buttons, the stewards know what is expected. And they also know they'll be tipped for this extra service.

I might mention that when they change shifts, they bring their replacement over to be introduced and say "[name] will be taking care of you now." And the new guy continues the excellent service.

So look at it as a payment for extra service. Part of the US$10 pd/pp is for their making your bed, delivering you meal. Above that is for something extra. And just give them the money. No need to wrap it in an envelope.

Only $3 to the waiting staff? If I remember correctly on RCCL and Celebrity it's

$3.50 for waiter and $2 for assistant waiter. ($3.50 home room attendant, on Celebrity $0.50 to a person who supervises attendants, on both $0.75 to the M'D)

Hi how was the west med cruise u where on?? where going in late sept of this year?? thanks mark+tina

Archived